Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Just wait for Boris 'the total Johnson' Johnson.

Depending on which way the political winds are blowing he may give you a form brexit. But he will say anything to get his power.

Isn't that true of politicians in general, and come to think of it, probably most folk doing their utmost to climb the greasy pole to the top?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Haven't satisfied the first one yet. Once that is carried out, more than happy to have another run at it. One step at a time.

As you say, folks change their minds, as do age groups. We could be in/out more than the Hokey Cokey.

Last one was three years ago. Let’s have another.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Yes, please, lets send the country into a potential economic disaster.. leavers are a 'bit fed up'

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Nice to see Mark Carney pull Alexander Johnson up on his latest lie about article 24 and no tariffs...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48710999

He also stressed that in the event of a no-deal exit, the return of trade tariffs on goods shipped to the EU would be "automatic".

This contradicts a claim from Mr Johnson that the UK could secure a 10-year standstill in current arrangements using an article of the EU's General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade known as "Gatt 24".

"The Gatt rules are clear... Gatt 24 applies if you have a [withdrawal] agreement, not if you've decided not to have an agreement, or you have been unable to come to an agreement," Mr Carney said.

"So... we should be clear that not having an agreement with the European Union would mean that there are tariffs, automatically, because the Europeans have to apply the same rules to us as they apply to everyone else."

Best get used to the multiple lies from the highest office, welcome to Trump-Lite...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just get the **** on with it and leave.

*sigh* for the 40,000th time, which of the 40,000 versions of Brexit do you want? So boring hearing Brexiteers say this when it’s the Brexiteers voting AGAINST Brexit every time the gov tried to pass it.

Find a form of Brexit that has a mandate, vote it through. If there is no form that has a mandate, we have no choice but to either revoke or have a second referendum.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just get the **** on with it and leave.
We could have a Norway type deal within 3 months - a country which *has it's cake ( is outside the EU ) and eats it ( enjoys massive trade benefits )*.

We could then move to a Switzerland type deal - if we want. This would take years to negotiate. Another country which *has it's cake ( is outside the EU ) and eats it ( enjoys massive trade benefits )*.

Just get on with it !

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
We could have a Norway type deal within 3 months - a country which *has it's cake ( is outside the EU ) and eats it ( enjoys massive trade benefits )*.

We could then move to a Switzerland type deal - if we want. This would take years to negotiate. Another country which *has it's cake ( is outside the EU ) and eats it ( enjoys massive trade benefits )*.

Just get on with it !

The reason why so many Leavers on here keep banging out the stupid 'get on with it' chant is that they have given up thinking about it and are simply left with frustration.
Emotions, unlike convictions, are notoriously changeable - and I would guess that if/when Brexit becomes a dreadful reality, the most vociferous visceral outrage will come primarily from the same people!

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The reason why so many Leavers on here keep banging out the stupid 'get on with it' chant is that they have given up thinking about it and are simply left with emotion.
Emotions, unlike convictions, are notoriously changeable - and I would guess that if/when Brexit become a dreadful reality, the visceral outcry will come primarily from the same people!

This.

Johnson's erroneous claims about GATT 24 indicate that he is either unable to grasp details (a frequent criticism) or is an outright bullshitter (an even more frequent criticism). I am of the opinion that he is both. This dangerous , nasty, idiot is about to become our Prime Minister; it beggars belief.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are you proud of your Leave longevity?
What is important about 1986 in your decision?

I'm neither proud or ashamed of my 'leave longevity' - I was making the point that my mind was made up well before the most recent leave campaign and thus things like the bus played no part in me putting my cross next to leave. Leave had no need to convince me. Now remain did have a job to do .... to convince me to change my mind .... but given they didn't campaign on a very positive platform they failed completely.

1986 itself isn't significant .... hence me using the word 'around'. It was the period I got interested in politics.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
This.

Johnson's erroneous claims about GATT 24 indicate that he is either unable to grasp details (a frequent criticism) or is an outright bullshitter (an even more frequent criticism). I am of the opinion that he is both. This dangerous , nasty, idiot is about to become our Prime Minister; it beggars belief.

It is very sad to see a once sensible and constructive party turn in on itself and pander to the right wing. They claim to be the party on the Union, of business. They are neither.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I'm neither proud or ashamed of my 'leave longevity' - I was making the point that my mind was made up well before the most recent leave campaign and thus things like the bus played no part in me putting my cross next to leave. Leave had no need to convince me. Now remain did have a job to do .... to convince me to change my mind .... but given they didn't campaign on a very positive platform they failed completely.

1986 itself isn't significant .... hence me using the word 'around'. It was the period I got interested in politics.

Oh okay, I just wondered if you had a specific reason for holding such views - and if anything 'around 1986' had caused them.....

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Fair enough. But the lack of positivity is to a large extent in-built to any campaign that is in effect a 'no change' one. I'll accept that the Leave campaign was very effective in a kind of '4 legs good, 2 legs bad' sort of way. But winning a campaign is not quite the same as winning the argument.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Fair enough. But the lack of positivity is to a large extent in-built to any campaign that is in effect a 'no change' one. I'll accept that the Leave campaign was very effective in a kind of '4 legs good, 2 legs bad' sort of way. But winning a campaign is not quite the same as winning the argument.

I agree BUT the referendum was called because of pressure to leave the EU - you'd think that the remain campaign would have hammered home the positives of staying rather than the negatives of leaving. It's a bit like the current status of UK politics from the Tories - 'yes, we have our problems but if you don't vote for us you get Corbyn' - entirely negative, no attempt to 'sell' their vision.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I agree BUT the referendum was called because of pressure to leave the EU - you'd think that the remain campaign would have hammered home the positives of staying rather than the negatives of leaving. It's a bit like the current status of UK politics from the Tories - 'yes, we have our problems but if you don't vote for us you get Corbyn' - entirely negative, no attempt to 'sell' their vision.

I agree with this.
The Remain campaign was poor and negative, while the Leave campaign was strong and positive.
It's difficult to sell status quo when popular feeling is always for 'change'.
The Tory debate now has no higher vision than 'delivering Brexit' (whatever that cliche means), keeping the Party alive and beating Corbyn. That's it. No greater ambition.

We will no doubt get a 'feel good' factor from Prime Minister Johnson, but I think that will fade when it is no longer a novelty and everyone sees how vacuous the promise of 'sunny uplands' Brexit is...

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I agree with this.
The Remain campaign was poor and negative, while the Leave campaign was strong and positive.
It's difficult to sell status quo when popular feeling is always for 'change'.
The Tory debate now has no higher vision than 'delivering Brexit' (whatever that cliche means), keeping the Party alive and beating Corbyn. That's it. No greater ambition.

We will no doubt get a 'feel good' factor from Prime Minister Johnson, but I think that will fade when it is no longer a novelty and everyone sees how vacuous the promise of 'sunny uplands' Brexit is...

Without wising to go over old ground too much, the remain campaign started off extremely positive, "stronger, safer, better off" etc. (still all true IMO), and kept this positive message throughout, but obviously introduced/resorted to negative campaigning.

The problem was when the leave campaign said we would be even more stronger, even more safer and even more better off, if we left (all untrue IMO). Then when remain said that's not true they got labelled as unpatriotic and that they didn't believe in their county.

At that point it was inevitable what would happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here