Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Just seems too honest, the members want a deluded Blukipper...

Dominic Raab got mentioned on here yesterday as a contender for that and there's a good summary of him in Phillip Collins piece in today's Times:

The candidate for the determinedly drunk is Dominic Raab who, incredibly, declared that the best plan for the government was to demand legally binding changes to the withdrawal agreement and, if they are not forthcoming, leave the EU without a deal. He must have been asleep for the fortnight in which it became obvious that neither of these two options was feasible. Mr Raab is the last-ditch candidate who loves Britain so much he thinks we could be Singapore.

Though Mr Raab does an impeccable job of diminishing himself I am loath to join in because he is my preferred candidate to win the leadership. Speaking as someone keen to see a new party emerge in British politics, Mr Raab is, without question, my candidate. He is exactly the sort of cat-that-got-the-cream character who would repel floating voters. Non-Tories will really dislike Mr Raab who will rapidly restore the Tories to the status of the nasty party.

He is the kind of Tory who thinks people eat at food banks because they like the menu. There is a set of Tory MPs ready to walk if his unforgiving politics were allowed to take over.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tories-could-become-the-nasty-party-again-lqdj8n55p

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
The leader of UKIP is warning protesters on Twitter that the Police may use a water cannon at today's demonstrations.

The MET don't have one

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

UKIP under Batten, have gone from a party of little Englanders, racists & oddballs, lurching to the extreme right & morphing into the BNP, attracting various right wing splinter group knuckledraggers. Batten is so extreme, Farage left the party. Aside from being batshit barking, Batten isn't too bright and often gets called out and ends up looking rather stupid when grilled about his statements on TV. This is the guy who claimed his horse was sexually assaulted by a donkey with homosexual tendencies. Claiming his supporters will get hosed down by water canons that don't exist is quite mild by his standards.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
So shocking isn't it, that maybe the EU isn't quite the big evil corporation that the people who will make SHITLOADS of money from Leaving the EU would have you think?!

It is, however, as open to (and very possibly MORE open to) lobbying from big evil corporations compared to UK institutions of government. https://corporateeurope.org/

We do ourselves no favours on the left when we try and present the EU simply as a purely progressive force. It can be. But without significant reform, I find the EU instiutions as a whole quite hard to love. If we end up staying in the EU, I only hope we do so with a progressive government, and the blinkers off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bet it would be pi$$ing down today if 'they' had got their way. :lolol:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Less respected? That is putting it mildly. Some of them have shown they're not fit to operate a tea machine, let alone sit in judgement in Parliament.

7884F18E-A0B8-443B-AF38-9BEE09A98F80.jpeg

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Someone I know very well spent a bit of time with John Major when he was a junior minister. When Major became leader of the Conservatives, the instant reaction was: 'he's a decent man - won't last long'. I've heard exactly the same from people that have spent any time with Rory Stewart.
He's a decent man and not really cut out for politics. And definitely not Tory politics.

Backstabbing ***** like BJ and MG at the helm. Please, please exile these ****wits into a political wilderness so dense that they never re-emerge. If we have to have a Tory Government (because many say JC is un-electable) then please let a Ruth Davidson or Rory Stewart be at the forefront.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Just seems too honest, the members want a deluded Blukipper...

I see him as a right wing version of Ed Milliband.
Decent, thoughtful, much respected by people who have met/know him.

But 'looks funny' and not very good at simplifying everything into soundbites so...

As a country, we get the politicians we deserve.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bollox to the wankers in power who have done everything in their power to halt, delay and destroy Brexit.

Said it over and over again, the biggest threat to Brexit is the Brexiteers themselves. If the vote doesn't go through, don't blame remainers, Labour or the EU...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It is, however, as open to (and very possibly MORE open to) lobbying from big evil corporations compared to UK institutions of government. https://corporateeurope.org/

We do ourselves no favours on the left when we try and present the EU simply as a purely progressive force. It can be. But without significant reform, I find the EU instiutions as a whole quite hard to love. If we end up staying in the EU, I only hope we do so with a progressive government, and the blinkers off.

I didn't say it was a purely progressive force. I don't think it's perfect at all and I don't know anyone who does. But the way the right wing press have painted it is utterly ridiculous.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My prediction FWIW:

The WA will pass today, as self-interest on the part of duplicitous far-right Tories, and corruption and bribery on the part of the DUP, edge it over the line. May will bow out, feted as a martyr by the press despite all her abject failures.

BigGully, 2Profs, JCFC, and most especially Bakerlite will be all over it celebrating 'WINNING' a toothless net-loss Brexit that they've all denounced repeatedly as the worst of all outcomes.
This. However, Brexit will prove to be an expensive gamble that will lead to continuing austerity for many.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Bollox to the wankers in power who have done everything in their power to halt, delay and destroy Brexit.

Well I see that you're back again for a third time.

it's time to move on. You won't find me on this thread anymore either, so enjoy your life inside the EU. Bye Bye.

Didn't even manage 2 weeks this time :shrug:

Amyway, if these 'wankers' hadn't halted Brexit which did you want, Customs Union or NI/Ireland border ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here