Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Free trade deal was what was said. I buy (a fair bit) of vinyl from the U.K. I bought 4 records last night and had to pay an extra 15% in “custom duties and taxes.”

Purchase was made through Amazon.

What’s this about and does it impact all purchases from the U.K.?

Yes, I live in Cyprus, any parcels from the UK now count the same as parcels from elsewhere outside the UK. Have to go to the tax part of the post office to collect them and pay and pay VAT and/or Customs duties.

It will seriously hit small online traders in the UK, they'll lose most of their EU customers. I'll now be buying from EU discogs sellers and avoiding UK onesm using amazon de instead of uk etc etc etc.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Never mind your VAT issues, I just looked in a drawer and my passport is still a grotty red colour. Were we lied to about some of these things?

Yup, a grotty red one that was made in the UK.

Don't worry though, your next one will be a nice blue one made in Poland.

It's great how Boris had brought all these things back.

Brexit was always a fraud, the worst of every world.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Genuine question about the Brexit deal

Yup, a grotty red one that was made in the UK.

Don't worry though, your next one will be a nice blue one made in Poland.

It's great how Boris had brought all these things back.

Brexit was always a fraud, the worst of every world.

Shrewd move by the Government giving work to a French Dutch company which in turn has given gainful jobs for Polish people closer to their home!

I’d like to see more opportunities for these former Eastern Bloc countries in order to stop their young Citizens taking their talents abroad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shrewd move by the Government giving work to a French Dutch company which in turn has given gainful jobs for Polish people closer to their home!

I’d like to see more opportunities for these former Eastern Bloc countries in order to stop their young Citizens taking their talents abroad.

The bloody Poles. Coming over here being all Polish and mending everything. Coming over here fixing all the stuff we've broken, and are too illiterate to read the instructions for. Doing it better than us in a second language. Bloody Poles comin' over here

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
And back on topic

Anger builds among manufacturers as EU customers cancel orders due to Brexit red tape

EU customers are cancelling orders from the UK because of a mass of red tape, UK manufacturers have said, as anger builds over a lack of government Brexit support and antiquated customs systems. Close to 30 per cent of small British firms have stopped shipping goods to the EU amid widespread confusion about customs forms and extra costs, according to accountants UHY Hacker Young;

Compounding the problems is the fact that there is no helpline to resolve issues with the 30-year-old IT system required to log customs documents for imports and exports. Instead, businesses are referred to an HMRC email address which promises a response within five days. Once a response is received, if the issue is not resolved firms must wait a further five days.

It seems that this CHIEF (Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight) system may be causing a significant amount of problems. I know that when I last dealt with HMRC 10+ years ago, it wasn't particularly popular, and considered outdated and inefficient even back then (and of course, with nowhere near the volumes it now has to handle).

Mrs Wz popped in for a couple of hours this morning to help a company out with the invoicing of a sale to Ireland just before Xmas. She's not home yet and I suspect that when she gets back, I'll be hearing a lot more about this.

I'll just make sure there's a bottle of fizz in the chiller and keep out the way for a while :wink:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Mrs Wz popped in for a couple of hours this morning to help a company out with the invoicing of a sale to Ireland just before Xmas. She's not home yet and I suspect that when she gets back, I'll be hearing a lot more about this.

No doubt we’ll all be hearing about too.

On reflection if I lived with you I’d make a 2 hour job last all day [emoji6]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
No doubt we’ll all be hearing about too.

On reflection if I lived with you I’d make a 2 hour job last all day [emoji6]

Well she has had to put up with me for 30+ years besides, your really not my type.

But I'll keep this thread up to date with the facts about what is happening for anyone that is actually interested as it effects lots of businesses, employees and consumers.

But there again, I don't go on the cycling thread to post about how it doesn't interest me :wink:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well she has had to put up with me for 30+ years besides, your really not my type.

But I'll keep this thread up to date with the facts about what is happening for anyone that is actually interested as it effects lots of businesses, employees and consumers.

But there again, I don't go on the cycling thread to post about how it doesn't interest me :wink:

I’ve put up with a pile for 30 years... but it’s still there[emoji6]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I know [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] would have posted this eventually but in case she doesn’t here’s something positive [emoji106]

Nissan says Brexit deal 'positive' and commits to UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55757930

The EU dug in on rules of origin and insisted on 55% of vehicle content needing to come from the UK / EU.

It may be that the EU has actually saved the British automotive manufacturing, critical mass is key

The best news in years for a sector that has very little to cheer about

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I know [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] would have posted this eventually but in case she doesn’t here’s something positive [emoji106]

Nissan says Brexit deal 'positive' and commits to UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55757930

Dissapointing news for many on this thread .... Job losses in Brexit voting Sunderland would have been gleefully posted numerous times.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Dissapointing news for many on this thread .... Job losses in Brexit voting Sunderland would have been gleefully posted numerous times.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

It's excellent news and hopefully goes someway to offsetting this (from the same article)

UK car investment has fallen sharply since the UK voted to leave the EU.

In the five years to 2016 it averaged £3.5bn per year. In the four years since it has averaged around £1bn - a fall of 71% at a time when the technology and map of car production are going through their biggest revolution since the car was invented.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here