Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The man is an odious prick who simply doesn't handle high stakes, high emotive topics with any decorum or tact.

TBH he sounds like he'd be ideal for the upper echelons of British politics at the moment then.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I have lived in Poland now for 18 years and British people living here are extremely worried about the impact this will have on our lives. At the age of 57 moving back to the UK after all this time just isn’t an option as to start again would be almost imposable.
On Wednesday night we have a meeting at the British Embassy here in Warsaw to see what our options are and although there are some proposals from the Polish government nothing is concrete. I have not been able to buy a house for the last two years due to the uncertainty of what will happen, and I know many people who are in the same situation.
Two and a half years have gone by now and with 18 days to go still nothing has been sorted and we Brits abroad have been used as bargaining chips and the whole situation is just utterly pathetic.
What really pisses me off is that many of the politicians behind this are driven by their own political careers and couldn’t care a toss about the public in the UK let alone Brits abroad.

We've hung EU citizens out to dry living in the UK

We've hung UK citizens out to dry living in the EU

Its a national embarrassment, nothing less

D

Deleted member 22389

We've hung EU citizens out to dry living in the UK

We've hung UK citizens out to dry living in the EU

Its a national embarrassment, nothing less

No we haven't hung EU citizens out to dry, all they have to do is register for settled status like I did for my mum, it really isn't that difficult.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
It would be ****ing hilarious if the whole Brexit shambles resulted in us being far more subservient to the EU than we ever were whilst a member.

This is/was always going to be the end result: poorer, weaker, less control. Not really sure why anyone would imagine a different end result if you are an important player in a top-tier 28-country trading bloc and then vote to go it alone as a second-tier economy which is right next door to - and actually has a border with - a top-tier trading bloc. As for that Global Britain b*llocks, the numbers aren't even close to adding up.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I see it was Simon Coveney who confirmed that Theresa May is flying to Strasbourg this evening to meet Jean-Claude Juncker - It's good that a grown up like The Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of The Republic of Ireland is now finally able to clarify matters on the whereabouts and comings and goings of The Prime Minister of The United Kingdom - we might be getting somewhere perhaps - The British Government are finally knowing their place.

Did anyone think to ask him where Chris Grayling has gone?

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
No we haven't hung EU citizens out to dry, all they have to do is register for settled status like I did for my mum, it really isn't that difficult.

Really? If there is a hard Brexit, the status of Europeans in the UK will be uncertain. The current British government may agree to honour what they agreed to in the negotiations. I hope they will. But who knows what the next government will do? If there is a hard Brexit, the long-term status of EU citizens will, by definition, be uncertain.
Plus anything that affects EU citizens in the UK will be mirrored for UK citizens in the EU so the situation of uncertainty will go on and on.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I'm pleased for your Mum

Try talking to a few EU nationals in the UK and ask them how things have been for them since June 2016...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really? If there is a hard Brexit, the status of Europeans in the UK will be uncertain. The current British government may agree to honour what they agreed to in the negotiations. I hope they will. But who knows what the next government will do? If there is a hard Brexit, the long-term status of EU citizens will, by definition, be uncertain.
Plus anything that affects EU citizens in the UK will be mirrored for UK citizens in the EU so the situation of uncertainty will go on and on.

Quite. I think the very recent Windrush scandal has obviously passed many by. In fact scandal is too lighter term for it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Do you ever look beyond the end of your nose?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't envy Theresa May and her meeting with Junker tonight. The man is an odious prick who simply doesn't handle high stakes, high emotive topics with any decorum or tact. His handling of the Greek negotiations was the final straw for me. But realistically he is just one (relatively small) actor in the EU and he doesn't have anywhere near enough clout to change the backstop. So I'm not sure what the point of these last minute Strasbourg talks is.

The EU have been consistent on the backstop so I can only presume May’s visit is a desperate trip on her own volition and they have sent Junker to merely smile at her. The EU can’t change the backstop so there’s no point to her visit.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Quite. I think the very recent Windrush scandal has obviously passed many by. In fact scandal is too lighter term for it.

Let's be honest here. A lot of people let it pass them by because the main victims weren't white. And there will be some who don't care what happens to either EU citizens in the UK (because they're foreigners and as such don't matter) or UK citizens in the EU (because they're traitors going and living with the enemy in their eyes). A minority, obviously, and likely a small one. But it is nevertheless there. And at present they couldn't be happier with the situation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I am an EU citizen. That is being stripped away from me by Brexit. Think about it. Freedom of Movement to live and work in 27 other countries.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The EU have been consistent on the backstop so I can only presume May’s visit is a desperate trip on her own volition and they have sent Junker to merely smile at her. The EU can’t change the backstop so there’s no point to her visit.

The backstop is a massive concession to the UK. Remain in SM / CU if no trade deal is agreed without paying in, hardly ideal for them either. Pretty generous really...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I am an EU citizen. That is being stripped away from me by Brexit. Think about it. Freedom of Movement to live and work in 27 other countries.

And our kids and grand kids, in the hope that the Latvians at no.42 will go home and stop trying to quote on building work

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And our kids and grand kids, in the hope that the Latvians at no.42 will go home and stop trying to quote on building work
Building work that not many will be able to afford to have done soon. Or be able to get a loan to finance either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here