Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He can also see the monumental effects that Covid 19 is having and will continue to have on the economy and life in general. It is decimating whole sectors of industry. It will leave us massively in debt and as a result much taxation will have to rise. It is inevitable. It will be ugly and uncomfortable. We are facing an economic tsunami. Millions out of work, thousands of businesses folding and an economic downturn lasting 3-4 years minimum. Compare this to the likely effects of Brexit ( and that is pure speculation...this is reality ) and there is no comparison. This is big time bad.
And yet, this thread demonstates that Brexit consumes many on here far more than what is happening in front of their own eyes. Compare the economic arguments and see the difference. Brexit wouldn't have shut down whole swathes of industry for months, maybe a year or more. Ruining the airline, cruise, tourism and hospitality industries. It wouldn't have seen 70-80% of office workers staying at home for a year and destroying a vast infrastructure of industry that relies on them. It wouldn't have seen 9m being paid to stay at home and billions having to be pumped into all manner of business to try and keep it afloat. Brexit wouldn't have seen massive damage done to the education of our children.
Brexit is a sideshow to the main event. Sadly, a lifelong obsession to many of the myopics on here.
Many in this country are now in pure survival mode. Brexit has gone on the back burner because, frankly, when you are trying to save your livelihood, your family or your business, then that comes first and surviving in the present and near future, has become paramount.
It's rather strange then that at the last couple of PMQ'S Johnson veered off topic and started trying to dredge up Starmer's position on Brexit? Is that in order to deflect from his government's poor response to Covid or because he feels it is a bigger issue?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So, Brexit has gone from

Taking back control and wonderful new trading opportunities
to
At least it won't do as much damage as Covid

I'm assuming this realisation must have come as some sort of epiphany, since you were backing Brexit right up until a few weeks ago. Back then, you thought Brexit was just the sort of opportunity that SMEs in Britain needed :facepalm:

(And this is completely ignoring the fact that Brexit is the reason that we have Johnson and co in power, doing such a great job 'dealing with' this pandemic).

There will be no new series of auf wiedersehen pet, no where to run to where times get tough. Sorry, folks options are limited

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Why has leaving the EU been a disaster it's been nine months now ? Are you worried about losing your EHIC benefits :lolol:
Regards
DF

It's cost the country more than all the UK contributions since joining, the pound is down.
Total win. What part do you, a dedicated dole scrounger and burden on the State, consider not a disaster?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
It's cost the country more than all the UK contributions since joining, the pound is down.
Total win. What part do you, a dedicated dole scrounger and burden on the State, consider not a disaster?

Brexiters don't generally tend to care much about being poorer but what might cut some ice is immigration, we were told we needed to leave the EU to control our borders but since the January leave date they've never been more out of control. In that respect Brexit is a total failure

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Good on the Swiss, it blows apart the theory that fears over immigration are felt across europe that people that Farage would have you believe

Thought there would be some Brexiteers commenting on this by now. They would surely be doing so had the result gone the other way.

Jan 30, 2008

'The pound is down total win' , just about sums up your short sighted gloomster world you live in David , you'd better go and join Watford bloke the clamp in the dunces corner as well but keep a safe distance.
Hang on in there Bro !
Regards
DF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sterling traders not panicked yet by new Brexit brinkmanship

Britain may be heading for a no-deal Brexit in three months, but among traders in London the feeling so far is one of deja vu rather than a panicky rush to dump UK assets.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-sterling-analysis/sterling-traders-not-panicked-yet-by-new-brexit-brinkmanship-idUKKBN26J0NL

I wonder if they know something we don't ? Shirley it couldn't be another U-turn for Johnson and BRINO.

I have to say that my disappointment at our Brexit supporting friends on here not seeing the full benefits of No Deal, would be very slightly offset by the hilarity of the ensuing meltdown.

Could you imagine, 4.5 years on and still not knowing what you voted for ? Oh to be a winner :lolol:

Tick Tock

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
'The pound is down total win' , just about sums up your short sighted gloomster world you live in David , you'd better go and join Watford bloke the clamp in the dunces corner as well but keep a safe distance.
Hang on in there Bro !
Regards
DF

So, thats the answer from a State scrounging burden. It was worth the wait.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Thought there would be some Brexiteers commenting on this by now. They would surely be doing so had the result gone the other way.

The Swiss may be a haven for tax dodgers but they don't have tax dodgers running their print media telling them to commit self harm.

Alas, no comment from Brexiters on here and no comment from Brexity newspapers in the UK

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Sterling traders not panicked yet by new Brexit brinkmanship

Britain may be heading for a no-deal Brexit in three months, but among traders in London the feeling so far is one of deja vu rather than a panicky rush to dump UK assets.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-sterling-analysis/sterling-traders-not-panicked-yet-by-new-brexit-brinkmanship-idUKKBN26J0NL

I wonder if they know something we don't ? Shirley it couldn't be another U-turn for Johnson and BRINO.

I have to say that my disappointment at our Brexit supporting friends on here not seeing the full benefits of No Deal, would be very slightly offset by the hilarity of the ensuing meltdown.

Could you imagine, 4.5 years on and still not knowing what you voted for ? Oh to be a winner :lolol:

Tick Tock

Of course it has been pointed out many times before, but I think in a sense that was the great strength of the Brexit vote. Cummings managed to galvanise eurosceptics with a wide range of different Brexit aspirations. They voted without really knowing what kind of Brexit they would get... and I suspect that only a small fraction of them will be satisfied with the outcome - whatever it proves to be....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Of course it has been pointed out many times before, but I think in a sense that was the great strength of the Brexit vote. Cummings managed to galvanise eurosceptics with a wide range of different Brexit aspirations. They voted without really knowing what kind of Brexit they would get... and I suspect that only a small fraction of them will be satisfied with the outcome - whatever it proves to be....

Anyone prepare to predict what the "Vote Leave" government will score come January out of 10 based on their 2016 contract with the British people?

Reckon they are heading for 1.5-2 / 10...

Capture.JPG

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
That is an extremely revealing contract. This isn't just sandpapering the truth, it's taking an axe to it!

This was all endorsed by Johnson, Gove etc. yes Vote Leave. Who in the UK media will really hold their feet to the fire when they fail?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here