Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The jubilation and frothy mouthed jingoistics of Johnson groupies reminds me a little of the Reading pitch invasion video.

I think we've reached the point where the parliamentary vote on Wednesday is flashed on the scoreboard.

It would be very amusing if someone did one of those edited videos. Especially with Cummings face on one of those performing monkeys bouncing before the Burnley fans.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Nearly 46 years a mere drop in the ocean, ha ha ha how did we ever cope before LEAVE MEANS
LEAVE
Regards
DF

Only posted 3 or 4 times on this thread. Just trying to point out that the Referendum result if implemented (whatever your view) will result in a generation of Brexit-related work for our political, commercial, legal and cultural societal pillars. Leave might mean Leave - but it absolutely will not be over. And that's before the Scots and Irish get their teeth into independence/unification.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
This may have already been asked, but what happens if Boris loses the vote on Monday. Fails to negotiate a deal prior to the 31st October. And then resigns on 31st October without submitting the request for an extension to the EU. Is there a time limit by which he must legally submit the extension request to the EU. If not, who would submit the extension request, and is there a chance that we could just leave the EU on a no deal basis by default?

Just looked it up, must submit the request by 19th October.

as you were.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
This may have already been asked, but what happens if Boris loses the vote on Monday. Fails to negotiate a deal prior to the 31st October. And then resigns on 31st October without submitting the request for an extension to the EU. Is there a time limit by which he must legally submit the extension request to the EU. If not, who would submit the extension request, and is there a chance that we could just leave the EU on a no deal basis by default?

By the 19th October, the PM has to either get a deal through Parliament, which is unlikely as they're not after one, or get no deal through Parliament which is unlikely as there is no demand for it.

If he fails, on the 19th he has to ask for an extension.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Believe the EU summit is on the 17th, and that is when he is expect to submit the extension request.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
The Tory's have made this easy for Corbyn and co by voting in Boris

Refusing to agree to an election on 14th Oct should have made them look stupid.
But now they can just say 'we don't trust Boris to do what he says' and everyone says 'yup, fair enough'
Which, when you think about it, is quite extraordinary

The latest polls say that, if an election in November, and if Boris has failed to brexit...all bets are off. It;s neck and neck again. So it's not hard to guess what's going to happen on Monday.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If i can remember 2016 and the weeks of campaigning Leave or Remain in the Media ,and the arguments on TV between politicians and questions by the Public i can`t recall everybody being told about this serious Referendum as being just advisory.
Part of the overall grand con.

Advisory referendums require a majority.

Binding referendums require 2/3rds.

Oh well, the elite managed to sucker us.

Last edited:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
By the 19th October, the PM has to either get a deal through Parliament, which is unlikely as they're not after one, or get no deal through Parliament which is unlikely as there is no demand for it.

If he fails, on the 19th he has to ask for an extension.

So the Bill offers him all the options he has now, however its asks the PM (just like his predecessor was asked) to get 320 members of parliament to agree to any of the options. Unless he can convince Sinn Fein to take their seats.

He reckons he is such a good negotiator, leader and get things done man, go on PM use all the resources at your disposal and get it done prior to your own 31st October deadline. Talk the the talk, now walk the walk.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Never underestimate the dirty tricks that Johnson could play to engineer a catastrophic crash-out Brexit.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
So the Bill offers him all the options he has now, however its asks the PM (just like his predecessor was asked) to get 320 members of parliament to agree to any of the options. Unless he can convince Sinn Fein to take their seats.

He reckons he is such a good negotiator, leader and get things done man, go on PM use all the resources at your disposal and get it done prior to your own 31st October deadline. Talk the the talk, now walk the walk.

Yes, that's correct. It's a very well drafted bill that allowed the PM to still bring a deal to the house that he was claiming he could get.

It's also given the PM enough rope.

Sinn Fein won't ever take their seats, and I doubt the Tories would be the party to persuade them anyhow.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Brilliant. Thanks. :thumbsup: There was I applying logic. :facepalm:

I don't think you were applying logic at all, just whoosh-inducing naivety. Believe it or not - and some on here might believe it - I am not actually a fox hunting supporter of the Tory Party. As has been explained by Hans Kraay FC, I simply used the absurd example of fox hunting to illustrate the point that political parties (in this case the Tories) frequently promise in a manifesto to do something and then abandon the commitment in the light of reality.

The future of our country is rather more important than fox hunting and it is a bit pathetic, frankly, when Brexiteers stamp their feet and say they will never ever ever vote again because parliamentarians are doing what they genuinely feel is in the national interest.

• I loathe fox hunting, just for the record.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Never underestimate the dirty tricks that Johnson could play to engineer a catastrophic crash-out Brexit.

Johnson will do what he is told to do by Cummings, although I guess there is the risk that he fully breaks down, in which case you would be right.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some Brexiteers throwing hissy fits and claiming they will never vote again. Over three years too late, morons.

Jan 30, 2008
Only posted 3 or 4 times on this thread. Just trying to point out that the Referendum result if implemented (whatever your view) will result in a generation of Brexit-related work for our political, commercial, legal and cultural societal pillars. Leave might mean Leave - but it absolutely will not be over. And that's before the Scots and Irish get their teeth into independence/unification.
Fair point , but as for the Irish and the Scots let them have their own way I'm sure they'll be snug as a bug with the euro
Regards
DF

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17884584.war-words-momentum-blasts-peter-kyle-39-s-election-stance/

War of words as Momentum blasts Peter Kyle's election stance

AN MP has defended his stance against a General Election amid speculation his party could deselect him.

Labour’s Peter Kyle, who represents Hove, told the Argus his party would be rewarded if they “took a mature stance” and waited until Brexit was sorted out before calling an election.

Mr Kyle voted against an election on Wednesday, while the majority of Labour MPs abstained on the issue.

But Johnbosco Nwogbo, leading member of Labour faction Brighton and Hove Momentum, attacked Mr Kyle for calling the 2017 General Election a “waste of negotiating time” on Twitter.

The clash came amid tension in the Hove Labour Party as the heated re-selection process for Mr Kyle has begun.

Mr Nwogbo told the Argus: “Labour won 47 new seats in 2017. That doesn’t sound like a waste of time to me.

“Peter Kyle increased his majority to 18,000. How were they wasting his time?

“The basic job description of a Labour MP is to fight the Tories.

“We are ready for an election and every Labour Party member should be ready and raring to go.”

Mr Nwogbo said he wanted Mr Kyle to “look forward” to the re-selection process, where he could potentially face opposition if another candidate runs.

Aisling Murray, another Momentum activist, said Hove Labour Party members should reconsider Mr Kyle’s record.

“In Kyle we have an MP who seems unsure his constituency will support him,” she said.

“I’m not saying he should be deselected but Labour Party members in Hove have to think about that.”

But Mr Kyle responded by defending his record.

“I have real sympathy for Jeremy Corbyn’s position,” the Hove MP said.

“It’s his job as leader of the opposition to prepare for, call, and win a General Election.

“But we’re in an unprecedented period of time.

“Right now the national interest is served by Parliament staying and doing its job.”

Mr Kyle said holding a General Election would allow Prime Minister Boris Johnson to “get out of trouble”.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Absolutely shitting himself
regards
DT

I'm sure he is CHICKEN MEANS
NOUN
A DOMESTIC FOWL KEPT FOR ITS EGGS OR MEAT, ESPECIALLY A YOUNG ONE.
"RATIONING WAS STILL IN FORCE AND MOST PEOPLE KEPT CHICKENS"

INFORMAL
A GAME IN WHICH THE FIRST PERSON TO LOSE THEIR NERVE AND WITHDRAW FROM A DANGEROUS SITUATION IS THE LOSER.
"HE WAS KILLED BY A CAR AFTER HE LAY IN THE ROAD PLAYING CHICKEN"

ADJECTIVE INFORMAL
COWARDLY.
"I WAS TOO CHICKEN TO GO TO COURT"

VERB INFORMAL
WITHDRAW FROM OR FAIL IN SOMETHING THROUGH LACK OF NERVE.
"THE REFEREE CHICKENED OUT OF GIVING A PENALTY"

regards
BBassic

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here