Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I see that the proposed M4 'bypass' around Newport has been shelved as the Welsh Government can’t afford it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48512697

It’s a shame that we are leaving the EU, as they have history of financing similar road projects in Wales, including the major A465 works in recent years. Maybe they could have stepped in?

https://ec.europa.eu/eipp/desktop/en/projects/project-159.html

Still, Newport voted to leave the EU and to take back control of not being able to afford things that would significantly improve their quality of life through improved air quality, reduced noise levels and reduced travelling time meaning more time spent with loved ones.

It always amused me when I read about the EU funding projects. I don't doubt that they did, but where did they get the money from in the first place . .

Jan 30, 2008
Is this your new Brexit plan, that all Brexiteers are going to leave one at a time :lolol:

Baker lite on March 29th 2019
You on October 31st 2019

If it is, could you bump JC Footy Genius up the queue a bit, as I am starting to worry about his ability to hold out much longer :thumbsup:

On a side note I see chucky and a few Of the other sad losers have jumped ship leaving the dozzy bint floundering around like a lost sheep , anyway back to your original question It's the same as it's always been , LEAVE MEANS LEAVE
regards
DR

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I see that the proposed M4 'bypass' around Newport has been shelved as the Welsh Government can’t afford it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48512697

It’s a shame that we are leaving the EU, as they have history of financing similar road projects in Wales, including the major A465 works in recent years. Maybe they could have stepped in?

https://ec.europa.eu/eipp/desktop/en/projects/project-159.html

Still, Newport voted to leave the EU and to take back control of not being able to afford things that would significantly improve their quality of life through improved air quality, reduced noise levels and reduced travelling time meaning more time spent with loved ones.

20-30 years ago huge parts of South Wales were rebuilt with cash from Europe and The Welsh Development Agency. Roads, Roundabouts, business parks and factory units everywhere, they had to rebuild what the Tories had sold or closed down.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
20-30 years ago huge parts of South Wales were rebuilt with cash from Europe and The Welsh Development Agency. Roads, Roundabouts, business parks and factory units everywhere, they had to rebuild what the Tories had sold or closed down.

How do you go about selling a road or a roundabout, or even close down a roundabout, I wonder?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I used to wonder why the member state didn't just pay for it?!

Yes, because a succession of British governments have historically had a fabulous track record of ploughing state funding into rebuilding deprived areas of the UK, haven't they?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
How do you go about selling a road or a roundabout, or even close down a roundabout, I wonder?

The Steelworks shut down along with many other businesses and the whole area was demolished and rebuilt with road access including new roundabouts. Surprised you were so ignorant on these things ? usually if a big supermarket opens on a main road the supermarket is expected to contribute to the cost of the access roads and lights/ roundabouts...…. as an aside you can sponsor your own roundabout these days, many cash strapped councils have to raise cash by doing this.

Jan 30, 2008
Lol, it has proved not to be quite as simple as that, has it. If people could agree with what Leave means, this discussion wouldn't be closing on 90,000 posts.

I'm afraid it's as simple as that, people like you have just dragged it out in a desperate attempt to thwart Democracy, don't worry it's all coming to a head shortly :wink:
regards
DR

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I'm afraid it's as simple as that, people like you have just dragged it out in a desperate attempt to thwart Democracy, don't worry it's all coming to a head shortly :wink:
regards
DR

People like me? I haven't expressed much of an opinion on Brexit. It seems to me that the problem is that it is those in favour of Brexit can't agree on what it means, not the Remainers.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Thanks for that, but do you really have time to read all that? Surely the funding comes from member states, however it is then divided up, and I used to wonder why the member state didn't just pay for it?!

Well ~50% comes from EU member states directly, the remainder from other EU revenue streams. I guess it could be argued that it essentially all stems from EU member states either directly or indirectly.

I guess it also could be argued that a given EU member state could finance these projects entirely directly, but they haven't been and in this specific case aren't sufficiently and neither will the EU, who may otherwise have done.

Who knows how long it will take for these kind of UK infrastructure projects to receive full funding from the UK government.

Regardless in this case the project is shelved, primarily for monetary reasons, which may not have been the case (likely so IMO) if we were remaining.

The EU love to pump money into projects like this, regeneration, strategic infrastructure etc. How long to the UK government take baton back?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You are hopefully not including yourself as a member of the educated class . . .

You can hope all you like. Reading some of your posts I suggest you request a refund on the snake oil you purchased in 2016...

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well ~50% comes from EU member states directly, the remainder from other EU revenue streams. I guess it could be argued that it essentially all stems from EU member states either directly or indirectly.

I guess it also could be argued that a given EU member state could finance these projects entirely directly, but they haven't been and in this specific case aren't sufficiently and neither will the EU, who may otherwise have done.

Who knows how long it will take for these kind of UK infrastructure projects to receive full funding from the UK government.

Regardless in this case the project is shelved, primarily for monetary reasons, which may not have been the case (likely so IMO) if we were remaining.

The EU love to pump money into projects like this, regeneration, strategic infrastructure etc. How long to the UK government take baton back?

On a related point, the Tory leadership candidates are falling over themselves to promise tax cuts, spending on schools, doubling of the defence budget etc. It's funny how they can appear profligate with public funds now when they've been selling us an austerity package for the last 8 years or so. A no deal Brexit will ramp up spending expectations even more given the infamous bus poster. The consequent loss of GDP will be a terrible wake-up call and there's all the ingredients for the perfect fiscal storm...…………..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People like me? I haven't expressed much of an opinion on Brexit. It seems to me that the problem is that it is those in favour of Brexit can't agree on what it means, not the Remainers.

He probably means 'foreigner' :facepalm::lolol:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yes, because a succession of British governments have historically had a fabulous track record of ploughing state funding into rebuilding deprived areas of the UK, haven't they?

How can you really be in a position to make such a wild statement? Yes, there may have been failures -I really don't know and nor, I suspect do you, and similarly the successes.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The Steelworks shut down along with many other businesses and the whole area was demolished and rebuilt with road access including new roundabouts. Surprised you were so ignorant on these things ? usually if a big supermarket opens on a main road the supermarket is expected to contribute to the cost of the access roads and lights/ roundabouts...…. as an aside you can sponsor your own roundabout these days, many cash strapped councils have to raise cash by doing this.

Yes, all very well but that wasn't the question!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
How can you really be in a position to make such a wild statement? Yes, there may have been failures -I really don't know and nor, I suspect do you, and similarly the successes.

Perhaps have a look at your location that's currently afflicted, I mean truly blessed, by you now residing there - the major infrastructural developments needed to revive a deprived seaside town such as this are not done because it's simply one, marginal Labour/Tory swing parliamentary constituency surrounded by safe Tory ones and the political will required is not there or justifiable. That's the key difference with EU structural funding - they look at a deprived region and see just a deprived region - Westminster looks at whether they're safe Tory seats, safe Labour ones, marginals and how many e.g. Cornwall, South Wales etc.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Perhaps have a look at your location that's currently afflicted, I mean truly blessed, by you now residing there - the major infrastructural developments needed to revive a deprived seaside town such as this are not done because it's simply one, marginal Labour/Tory swing parliamentary constituency surrounded by safe Tory ones and the political will required is not there or justifiable. That's the key difference with EU structural funding - they look at a deprived region and see just a deprived region - Westminster looks at whether they're safe Tory seats, safe Labour ones, marginals and how many e.g. Cornwall, South Wales etc.

This!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
[/B]

This!

And this.
Cornwall has had so much EU money for so many things, they even but huge amounts into upgrading the RAILWAY between Plymouth and Penzance which desperately needed doing.
Admittedly it's a strange one because a lot of Cornwall is far from deprived but other things and areas of Cornwall have deemed it so.
But they still voted by quite a margin to leave.
But that's the Cornish for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here