Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
Will there? In Redcar, and in Jarrow, and in Neath? After a further economic turn-down? Once those on the fringes of 'managing' take second jobs? Once people with depleted pension pots each choose / need to work an extra year or two?

That's a relief then.

Have you got a time scale for all this doom and gloom or is it reactionary panic to the fact we're leaving the EU ??
Regards
DR

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Have you got a time scale for all this doom and gloom or is it reactionary panic to the fact we're leaving the EU ??
Regards
DR

Well the jobs in those areas are already hemorrhaging, due to the shambles we've made of the whole thing so far. Many of them will not be coming back, regardless of the path we take.

People are already taking second jobs. The lad from Luton with the Italian family thinks this is good thing. It isn't. People working full time jobs shouldn't need to serve coffees in the evening to make ends meet - suffering in their own work / life balance as well as removing work opportunity for others further down the pecking order.

People in the Tory party right now are breezily declaring that people are going to have to accept working into their dotage. None of this is made up.

This is real. People's lives are not being improved by this. far from it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Honda are closing their Swindon plant in 2021. Nissan have nothing planned for Sunderland beyond 2021. Airbus have already stopped making the Airbus A380 which spells disaster for Broughton, with future work unlikely to be diverted there thanks to Brexit.

Still none of this really matters because the UK stockpiles of food and medicines won't last more than about three weeks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I see Boris is heading my way. Stand strong EU, don’t back down.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No Brexit didn't cost my wife her job. All I'm saying is that there is work, there will always be work.

Even as a leaver I'm going to have to pick you up on that statement. I lost my job last September and only got a new one in July ...... there really aren't the jobs out there.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Even as a leaver I'm going to have to pick you up on that statement. I lost my job last September and only got a new one in July ...... there really aren't the jobs out there.

And if it's like this in Brighton now, what will it be like in, say, Middlesbrough post Brexit? Answer: we don't know but nobody can believe it will be better, surely? This could lead to an interesting discussion/debate on the impact of the mooted Freeport. But I suspect no-one yet knows what this will look like or what job creating potential it will have.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
No Brexit didn't cost my wife her job. All I'm saying is that there is work, there will always be work.

Always ? What about the impact of AI? What will replace the jobs which will be lost to this over the next 30 years? Just saying that something will turn up is just more blind faith. We are likely to face a tough choice between a society which recognises that there may not be enough work for everyone and ensures a safety net for all, e.g universal basic income or a more brutal free market society with no such obligations. I have no doubt what side Johnston, Patel, Banks and Steve Bannon and their ilk are on.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Laugh all you want , still clinging onto Denial i see
Regards
DR

Not sure how it's denial, but you keep living in your bubble. Must be scary for you to stay in there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I see Boris is heading my way. Stand strong EU, don’t back down.

should the EU give a little if it helps lessen impact of recession, if they believe Johnson will follow through and leave otherwise?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Always ? What about the impact of AI? What will replace the jobs which will be lost to this over the next 30 years? Just saying that something will turn up is just more blind faith. We are likely to face a tough choice between a society which recognises that there may not be enough work for everyone and ensures a safety net for all, e.g universal basic income or a more brutal free market society with no such obligations. I have no doubt what side Johnston, Patel, Banks and Steve Bannon and their ilk are on.

We are certainly in a frightening situation - and consider the ease with which they have deliberately divided the nation to further their agendas......

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
should the EU give a little if it helps lessen impact of recession, if they believe Johnson will follow through and leave otherwise?

They gave a little when they agreed the backstop over full Customs Union.

If you really think they should 'give a little' more, explain what it is that they should 'give' which will still protect their single market ?

It's the same as the infamous 'Good Deal', a meaningless soundbite that no-one on here or in parliament can explain although it is, apparently what lots of people want, even though no-one has any f***ing idea what it is :shrug:

It's as completely meaningless as Brexit Means Brexit, Red White and Blue Brexit, Slodgnessabounds, Pookiesnackenburger or Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious.

Added to which, what sort of idiot would believe Johnson ? The one thing the EU have proven in the last 3 years is that they are definitely not idiots

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Worth remembering that the ERG have already said they'd vote against the Withdrawal Agreement even with the backstop removed.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
And if it's like this in Brighton now, what will it be like in, say, Middlesbrough post Brexit? Answer: we don't know but nobody can believe it will be better, surely? This could lead to an interesting discussion/debate on the impact of the mooted Freeport. But I suspect no-one yet knows what this will look like or what job creating potential it will have.
In Middlesbrough, Stockton & Hartlepool, things will not be pretty. People have a hard time managing their benefit budgets already. Especially under Universal Credit. With welfare freezes planned and increased living costs, the amount of homeless will rise, child poverty and poverty overall will rise.

Suicide rates are massively high here. One of the highest rates in the county. But it will only worsen, and more people will die.

People who do manage to keep their jobs will scrape by, but with less expendable income to do the things they love. Morale will plummet. Outlook is bleak.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

So when you said you had suffered it was just the normal everyday shit that happens to people from time to time, a company goes bust or downsizes and people lose their jobs. What Brexit has the potential to deliver is a situation where lots of companies go bust or need to downsize, all at the same time, up and down the country.
Saying there will always be work is a very naive statement. I am guessing you were not of working age in the 80's, many people lost their jobs in that recession, some people committed suicide over their inability to support their families, or over losing their homes. If it happens in the UK after Brexit, even if it isn't due to Brexit, you will have reduced the area in which you might be able to find work from 28 countries in Europe, to just the one you are in, the one that is experiencing a recession, no Auf Wiedersehen Pet for you.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
In Middlesbrough, Stockton & Hartlepool, things will not be pretty. People have a hard time managing their benefit budgets already. Especially under Universal Credit. With welfare freezes planned and increased living costs, the amount of homeless will rise, child poverty and poverty overall will rise.

Suicide rates are massively high here. One of the highest rates in the county. But it will only worsen, and more people will die.

People who do manage to keep their jobs will scrape by, but with less expendable income to do the things they love. Morale will plummet. Outlook is bleak.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I think you are almost certainly spot-on. Locally is there any discussion about the Freeport? Is it unicorn-fodder? It all raises the question of why oh why did folk in places like this vote for Brexit? What on earth did they think it would deliver? Surely they were not voting on account of the jurisdiction of the ECJ or the Qualified Majority Voting arrangements within the Council of Ministers? They must have thought that somehow it would make them better off. If so, then it's as good an illustration of false consciousness as can be imagined.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

To put a football slant on it, that's potentially very bad news for Middlesbrough FC. And indeed any number of other football clubs up and down the country. Maybe not the super rich, or the ones like us in that PL / upper Championship bracket, but lower down things could get very, very dicey financially.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It all raises the question of why oh why did folk in places like this vote for Brexit?

I don't like to use the accusation but it's increasingly hard to come back to a reason other than that they didn't like hearing Polish accents in Greggs.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I think you are almost certainly spot-on. Locally is there any discussion about the Freeport? Is it unicorn-fodder? It all raises the question of why oh why did folk in places like this vote for Brexit? What on earth did they think it would deliver? Surely they were not voting on account of the jurisdiction of the ECJ or the Qualified Majority Voting arrangements within the Council of Ministers? They must have thought that somehow it would make them better off. If so, then it's as good an illustration of false consciousness as can be imagined.

No no... as any Brexiteer will tell you, it was all about leaving the EU.
Forget the rampant xenophobia, and downright racism, that had nothing to do with it. It was about EU parliamentary procedures. Brexiteers have assured me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here