Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
but the way she has handled COVID has really embarrassed Westminster. At the end of the day if she does something, the you know we are doing the same in 2 days time.

I said earlier in the thread this is a complete myth. It makes absolutely no sense and isn't reflected in the stats.

If Westminster are just copying the SNP's policies why aren't the SNP getting any stick for the failings and the high death toll?
Why isn't Scotland's death toll any better than England's?
Why is Scotland rolling out vaccine slower?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
At the end of the day it is about self determination. The financial aspect is merely one of the reasons people may vote one way or another.

We can't claim self determination is why we have The Falklands and Gibraltar and then deny the same criteria to NI, Wales and Scotland.

Totally agree, if the Scottish people seek independence then who are we to stop them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The break up of the UK.

This, be a tragedy if the Union ever crumbles, absolutely loved my time in Rosyth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You loved your time in Leith [emoji23]

I joined The Cardiff for the second time in Rosyth, 2 months up there, great time[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Where did you get the idea that London has a population of over 10.8m? Believe it is currently 9m.

London population officially around 9 million. UK population is officially 67 million. Closer to the real mark is over 70 million (up from 42 million since 1945). For the real population of London it's nearer 11 Million. Well that was before the pandemic which has seen the population fall by close to 1 Million. London is a place that is an international city. It's official population is therefore somewhat smaller than its true population. But even if you go by official figures, the entire population is still vastly bigger than Scotland's. The people of Scotland are no different to people in Sussex, the rest of Europe or the rest of the world. They value the right to work in London, or if they don't their kids do.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
Poor you

You dont want taking back control and the issue of sovereignty used as valid reasons for deciding to Leave......even though the overwhelming number of Leave voters ranked taking back control and issues of sovereignty as their main reasons for voting to Leave.
The funny thing is you and a small clique on here are sticking to your entrenched worldview and you dont realise how stupid you sound.
You will never ever understand what a ridiculous position you are digging for yourself.
(why on ear you are still arguing pre referendum issues is beyond stupid anyway considering we have left and the referendum decided the argument)
Great fun for us leavers though looking for a continued giggle.
You lot really are a gift

That's about it in my book , the arrogance of the Clique knows no bounds
a bit of piss taking never hurt anyone or has it
Regards
DF

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
London population officially around 9 million. UK population is officially 67 million. Closer to the real mark is over 70 million (up from 42 million since 1945). For the real population of London it's nearer 11 Million. Well that was before the pandemic which has seen the population fall by close to 1 Million. London is a place that is an international city. It's official population is therefore somewhat smaller than its true population. But even if you go by official figures, the entire population is still vastly bigger than Scotland's. The people of Scotland are no different to people in Sussex, the rest of Europe or the rest of the world. They value the right to work in London, or if they don't their kids do.

But where are you getting your info from?

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
But where are you getting your info from?

I think by having an interest in geopolitics, reading books such as Tim Marshall's "Prisoners of Geography", as well as the FT, Times, telegraph, guardian but all with an increasing critical eye. Then also knowing people who run business's that know the likely actual population statistics (because what they do gives them that information). I think also having as many international friends as UK one's from travel / living outside of Sussex also has helped general knowledge of world affairs. I didn't think anything I said was controversial. I just thought it was something everyone knew but rarely gets spoken about.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think by having an interest in geopolitics, reading books such as Tim Marshall's "Prisoners of Geography", as well as the FT, Times, telegraph, guardian but all with an increasing critical eye. Then also knowing people who run business's that know the likely actual population statistics (because what they do gives them that information). I think also having as many international friends as UK one's from travel / living outside of Sussex also has helped general knowledge of world affairs. I didn't think anything I said was controversial. I just thought it was something everyone knew but rarely gets spoken about.

Post some links. I'm not arguing that Scotland is smaller than the population of London but you've got nothing to back up that London has a population that is nearly 20% higher than official figures. The same with the population of the UK. Quoted as 70m by you but officially only 66m.

You may well be right but unless you link it to anything it's just hearsay!

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Post some links. I'm not arguing that Scotland is smaller than the population of London but you've got nothing to back up that London has a population that is nearly 20% higher than official figures. The same with the population of the UK. Quoted as 70m by you but officially only 66m.

You may well be right but unless you link it to anything it's just hearsay!

Well you can google the official population statistics yourself. You then can form a view on London and the percentage difference between actual and reported population (although if you have not lived there I appreciate that might be more difficult). That would be a start. Actual UK population is over 70 Million but I'm not going to say how I know this. However it has just fallen by over a million because people have left as a result of lockdown and people having to return. Current official estimation is that over 800,000 left the UK from London. As for London having a vastly bigger population than Scotland, well look up UK official statistics on the population of Scotland and then of London. Even on official statistics, London is 9 Million and Scotland 5.5 Million. Incidentally, you could add the populations of Scotland and Ireland and they wouldn't be much difference to the actual (not official) population of London. It's food for thought. There is much nonsense spoken through the prism of being pro or anti the UK after Brexit. Take a step back, and think or it independently of all that noise.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Before this descends into an argument I've just been outside and counted the people.

The official population of London is 9.

I hope that clears things up.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Brexit Jihadi's getting twitchy now reality is setting in.
Even the Tories admitted we had never lost 'sovereignty' but that bullshit makes Brexiteers look like dumb arses, so they will keep coming with that nonsense.
Just watched a video from some Brexit idiot claiming the fish industry problems are because of Covid. Strangely they manifested at the end of the transition. Will they ever stop lying?

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That would be a little tasteless. We have left the EU and there is no need to rub anyone’s noses in it

It’s not rubbing anyone’s nose in it. A Brexit win benefits us all, whether leave or remain voter.

Go ahead and start the thread. It’ll be good for balance.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I would more put the blame on a host of things. David Cameron's decision to allow a referendum, the Brexit vote, the EU's intransigence to change in the face of growing opposition to many of its policies, Merkel's decision to allow a million plus refugees/immigrants to cross into Europe unfettered, growing desire for independence in some Scots particularly.

To say the blame is now put on the current government ignores history.

You're right in one sense but I thought that the reference to 'the current government' was actually to the leaders of it - Johnson, Gove and the departed disruptor ran the Leave campaign and without Johnson's light entertainer qualities and Cummings's brilliantly duplicitous campaign skills I don't think they would have won.

As it was, the wind was behind them and I am far from sure that Merkel's refugee policy and the EU's reluctance to give us even more opt-outs than we already had made much difference to the outcome.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
:dunce:

Project fear, it's all project fear. f*ck the experts, have faith in Britain.

The past four years have been an absolute disaster in terms of governance, but the absolute purists will see all of this as a victory. Little England will rise again, like a Phoenix from the flames with its enormous.......ego?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here