Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Would you really put your family at risk?
It will all come out one day, but I ain't going to be the one to let go.

Brexit poses much more of an immediate threat to my family than the IRA do, but you don't seem to have a problem with that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How are your efforts to censor a BBC journalist for reporting facts on twitter coming along?

Reporting facts or trying to highlight a father getting upset over the NHS stretched to the limits, as a Labour activist?

Did I censor her? No.

More whataboutery from you. You quoted a post where I pointed out that Fairtrade have a problem with a no deal Brexit, but fail to answer that, instead trying to accuse me of censoring a BBC journalist.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Reporting facts or trying to highlight a father getting upset over the NHS stretched to the limits, as a Labour activist?

Did I censor her? No.

More whataboutery from you. You quoted a post where I pointed out that Fairtrade have a problem with a no deal Brexit, but fail to answer that, instead trying to accuse me of censoring a BBC journalist.

It appears he just remembered something far more important than our discussions and logged off.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an answer. I know I won't :lolol:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Tariff free trade for 98% of goods (helpful in reducing border checks)

Complete freedom to strike our own trade deals

No multi-billion-pound yearly payments to the EU

Allows regulatory divergence

No primacy of EU laws

Not dependant on surrendering immigration controls

to name but a few.

Obviously, as a much larger economy, there are areas we would need to adapt/change, prioritising access for the service sector being one. There are other issues but the Canada deal is a base to build from.

Great. So how do you deal with the Irish border if there's no regulatory divergence?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Quite apart from the fact that Canada +++++++++++++++ offers no solution to the NI border problem, has taken over 10 years to negotiate and still isn't fully implemented.

Here are a few Facts you wouldn't need a crystal ball for

Only 10% of Canada's external trade goes to the EU. Total trade between the two is worth about C$85bn (£50bn).
About 43% of UK external trade is with the EU. It is the UK's biggest trading partner. Total trade between the two is worth about £318bn.
Canada's main trade with the EU is in precious stones and metals, machinery, mineral ores, mineral fuels and oils, aircraft, aircraft parts and pharmaceuticals.
The UK exports goods worth £236bn to the EU across a wider range of industries than Canada. Motor vehicles and parts worth £18bn are the largest single sector followed by chemicals and chemical products worth £15bn.
Canada's services exports amounted to £11bn and were largely in management, research and development (R&D,) financial and IT services.
In contrast, the UK exports £27bn in financial services alone to the EU, and a total of £90bn in all services.
Agri-food trade between the two amounts to about £5bn.
Agri-food trade between the UK and the EU amounts to about £30bn.

Sounds like the perfect 'base from which to start'.

But why would we want to take a deal that's been specifically negotiated for Canada. It would be like taking a deal that's been specifically negotiated for Norway. I'm sure these deals are very good for Norway or Canada, but I think you may find our GDP splits, economy and political situation may be a little different.

What I would prefer to do is spend 40 years (I wouldn't want to rush it, could you imagine how that would end up ) negotiating the best deal possible for Britain. You know, getting the best of the customs union, trade etc whilst keeping vetoes over things like Schengen, the Euro etc and negotiating rebates. It will probably be quite hard work, extremely complex, and take a lot of people a lot of time to get the deal right for Britain, but it would be worth it.

Then maybe when we have got the best deal possible over the 40 years, we could throw it all away for something that would be far simpler to understand and easier to shout like Canada++++++++++++++ :facepalm:

How do you know a Canada +++++++++++ won't provide solutions to border issues? Shirley, it's the case that the more agreed areas of regulatory alignment and the more tariff-free access the less need for border checks and controls. Yes, you keep highlighting it takes the EU forever to strike trade deals (Brexiteers noticed this :facepalm:) but even you might be able to fathom it's probably easier to negotiate a new deal from a position of complete alignment rather than starting from scratch.

Ah, I see you have given up on your Crystal ball and are now just googling ….

What is a 'Canada-style' trade deal?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45633592 :lolol:

Not sure why though as I already mentioned we are a much bigger economy (therefore much more important to the EU) and have our own different priorities eg service sector.

Yes a good base to start from , to quote the article you copied from, the EU says it's "the most ambitious trade agreement that the EU has ever concluded ….. and businesses and exporters and importers have been working under its rules for a year, and many now believe the CETA model could be a template for the UK's trading relationship with the EU after Brexit.

Your preferred option was rejected in 2016 …. get over it.

Jan 30, 2008
You absolutely do have to explain. You cannot throw idle rhetoric and run away like a cry baby when you're challenged.

Fairy "Who will pick up the Tab"

Me : "us" (with associated logical maths based on Norways deal)

Fairy : "I Don't have to explain myself"

All leavers : "the EU have no accountability" THE IRONY

A refresher in case you have forgotten. We currently pay in Net £9bn. Norway pay £140.00 per head per annum. At the same rate base on 67m people, our future bill for trade will be £9.3bn.

So come on then, put on your big boy pants and show me why it's a good thing to pay more to the EU than we do already without the member benefits.

For somebody who has posted more than anybody else in the thread this should be easy for somebody as informed as you...
We haven't got a Norway style Deal ,get ready for Brexit
Regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008
How do you know a Canada +++++++++++ won't provide solutions to border issues? Shirley, it's the case that the more agreed areas of regulatory alignment and the more tariff-free access the less need for border checks and controls. Yes, you keep highlighting it takes the EU forever to strike trade deals (Brexiteers noticed this :facepalm:) but even you might be able to fathom it's probably easier to negotiate a new deal from a position of complete alignment rather than starting from scratch.

Ah, I see you have given up on your Crystal ball and are now just googling ….

What is a 'Canada-style' trade deal?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45633592 :lolol:

Not sure why though as I already mentioned we are a much bigger economy (therefore much more important to the EU) and have our own different priorities eg service sector.

Yes a good base to start from , to quote the article you copied from, the EU says it's "the most ambitious trade agreement that the EU has ever concluded ….. and businesses and exporters and importers have been working under its rules for a year, and many now believe the CETA model could be a template for the UK's trading relationship with the EU after Brexit.

Your preferred option was rejected in 2016 …. get over it.

It's all clap trap to make him convinced he's always right ,hypothetical assumption at best he really needs to wake up LEAVE MEANS LEAVE
Regards
DF

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's all clap trap to make to him convinced he's always right ,hypothetical assumption at best he really needs to wake up LEAVE MEANS LEAVE
Regards
DF

Does leave mean leave ? You've never said that before.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When referencing the 'billions of pounds' we give to the EU, why don't posters also mention the billions of pounds we have received?

I get that we physically pay more than we actually receive but it seems like the shortfall more than covers the convenience of being an EU and sitting at the top table of said Union.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I thought all members were equal ? LEAVE MEANS LEAVE as instructed
Regards
DF
Just off topic for a minute, are you aware just what a moron you seem to pretty much everyone on this board? You're a moron on this thread and you're a moron pretty much everywhere else you pop up. I'm just interested in whether you're aware of this fact, and whether you're actually just too stupid to even care.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Same old Shite different day Hans, perhaps you should open up your Corbyn centrefold mag and let loose, you will feel much better for it.

You see - because you are so one-dimensional, you'll probably find this a little difficult to rationalise - but whilst I detest Johnson and everything he claims to stand for this week - I am actually no fan of Corbyn at all.

I want the Labour party in power, and that will never happen whilst he is the leader.

Have another try.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Is PPF actually just a Government advertising bot? Huge if true.

Wouldn't say much for the technology available to the Government. I have often thought that the Genius was just some AI creation but then with access to Russian expertise the Leavers would surely never create something so rudimentary, limited and repetitive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here