Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Did Boris Johnson just shout 'chicken' at the end of John McDonnell's reply to the spending review?

He may be developing a nervous twitch ?

Does anyone remember Robert Lyndsay playing a politician in the series GBH ? His twitches got worse the more pressure he was put under :lolol:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Wow, we have reached a new nadir.

Literally accusations of talking with a European (and not accepting at face value the words of a pathological liar, albeit British) is enough to be labelled as a traitor and hung as a result.

Some people are just itching for blood to be spilled.

:nono:

And unfortunately it probably will be, it only takes one nutter.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
B.J gets a kicking for preparing for a no deal Brexit if he has to.
I am no expert but surely , if you say to the EU " we would like to leave , but only if you give us a good deal, otherwise we might stay in" ..... the other side are just going to sit tight and concede nothing - just so we will stay.
It is only by showing that we are determined to go that we might get something .
Or please tell me what I am missing.

As stated in the House yesterday:-

Boris is standing on one side of a canyon, screaming at the people on the opposite side.
If the people on the other side don't do what Boris says, he's threatened to jump off.

There's no point playing 'hardball'.
There's no point 'bluffing'.
There's no point 'threatening'.

After you've shown your cards and they are a 9 & 3.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
B.J gets a kicking for preparing for a no deal Brexit if he has to.
I am no expert but surely , if you say to the EU " we would like to leave , but only if you give us a good deal, otherwise we might stay in" ..... the other side are just going to sit tight and concede nothing - just so we will stay.
It is only by showing that we are determined to go that we might get something .
Or please tell me what I am missing.

That they have no interest in pursuing a deal?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think you should have just stopped there

My God, even Gwylan, that epitome of patience has limits and can take no more :eek:

And I thought it was just me that was condescending and patronising after having to explain the same things a dozen times using simpler terminology until the penny finally drops :lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Now is not a good time for Corbyn to have a General Election. Back in 2017 he had a successful GE campaign because whilst Brexit was the main issue the date of leaving the EU was still a long way in the future and people were as concerned about the other stuff like austerity, NHS, schools

Unlike 2017, any 2019 GE will be dominated by the threat of Brexit, and that doesn't play out well with Labour's wishy-washy position. I see the Lib Dems clear 'Bollocks to Brexit' message and the energy and dynamism of Swinson resonating in key parts of the country and I think she'll pick up seats in Scotland, the South-West, the South-East and London.

I can also see the Greens taking votes off Labour over the country too - these hurricanes in the Bahamas and burning Amazon will persuade many who are as yet uncommitted and many new first-time voters.

I think the Brexit Party will take Labour votes in working class areas where voters want to Leave but don't want to vote for the posh Tory boys.

The SNP's anti-Brexit message should also preserve their dominance in Scotland.

Therefore - as I see it - Corbyn is singularly ill-equipped to fight this GE. The best thing for the Labour Party would be to simply win the vote in Parliament on avoiding No Deal, then for Corbyn to do the honourable thing and resign. They could then appoint Keir Starmer or Hilary Benn. I don't think either is capable of winning Labour a majority but both would be popular choices as leader in a coalition. They could fully endorse a Second Referendum and be unencumbered by the anti-EU political baggage Corbyn carries, as well as removing the stain of Anti-Semitism in the Labour Party.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I don’t know much about him
His real name is Paul Staines and bizarrely :
Staines was PR officer for the Sunrise collective, an organiser of raves and acid house parties in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laX3e0jGq1A

And in going to copy that line from wikipedia I just found out myself that ; In 1981, he won the UK Atari Asteroids video games championship and went on to finish ninth in the world championships held in Washington D.C.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's perfectly simple - if the SNP/Lib Dems were forced between a government coalition with Labour on the promise of a negotiated soft Brexit or standing by and letting the Tories form another government with confidence and supply from the DUP/Brexit Party, what do you think is likelier?

The Lib Dem MP for Bath - can't remember her name - has just stated on the radio the Lib Dems would not enter a coalition with either the Tories or Labour if there was a hung Parliament. Jo Swinson doesn't appear to have much time for Corbyn either.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Now is not a good time for Corbyn to have a General Election. Back in 2017 he had a successful GE campaign because whilst Brexit was the main issue the date of leaving the EU was still a long way in the future and people were as concerned about the other stuff like austerity, NHS, schools

Unlike 2017, any 2019 GE will be dominated by the threat of Brexit, and that doesn't play out well with Labour's wishy-washy position. I see the Lib Dems clear 'Bollocks to Brexit' message and the energy and dynamism of Swinson resonating in key parts of the country and I think she'll pick up seats in Scotland, the South-West, the South-East and London.

I can also see the Greens taking votes off Labour over the country too - these hurricanes in the Bahamas and burning Amazon will persuade many who are as yet uncommitted and many new first-time voters.

I think the Brexit Party will take Labour votes in working class areas where voters want to Leave but don't want to vote for the posh Tory boys.

Therefore - as I see it - Corbyn is singularly ill-equipped to fight this GE. The best thing for the Labour Party would be to simply win the vote in Parliament on avoiding No Deal, then for Corbyn to do the honourable thing and resign. They could then appoint Keir Starmer or Hilary Benn. I don't think either is capable of winning Labour a majority but both would be popular choices as leader in a coalition. They could fully endorse a Second Referendum and be unencumbered by the anti-EU political baggage Corbyn carries, as well as removing the stain of Anti-Semitism in the Labour Party.

Won't most sane people see its an election though and not a referendum, i.e not one question. For example the campaign on school funding played a big part in May losing her majority.

We have always had a poor political system and not a PR system that spreads the votes out evenly.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
The PM has today shouted 'chicken' and call the Leader of the Opposition a 'big girl's blouse'.

Pathetic idiot.

After not having the courage to answer Corbyns first question. Pretty funny.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The PM has today shouted 'chicken' and call the Leader of the Opposition a 'big girl's blouse'.

Pathetic idiot.

To be fair, it's better than the plan he had up until yesterday :wink:

0712a16da7e2e9e031ff1608ecad5b0e.jpg

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The point is, is that you are intentionally throwing anyone who voted against no deal as being remainer.

We are now onto the next deception tactic now that the word "scaremongering" has lost all meaning I see.

Anti no-dealers are not anti-brexiters. See the poll confirming 1 third of Tory voters would desert them in the event of no deal for proof of this.

No, I'm just pointing out the vast majority in parliament who voted against no-deal were remainers. Plus most of them didn't vote like your example Cuddly Ken, they voted against the Brexit deal and against no deal. That's not deception thats a fact.

But I agree there are some anti no dealers who are not anti Brexit.

Numerous polls on voting intention show the Tories have a very healthy lead I doubt anyone saying they will vote for them doesn't know their position re no-deal Brexit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Lib Dem MP for Bath - can't remember her name - has just stated on the radio the Lib Dems would not enter a coalition with either the Tories or Labour if there was a hung Parliament. Jo Swinson doesn't appear to have much time for Corbyn either.
Probably still stung by being held responsible for all the ills of the last coalition they joined. However, you can bet your arse they would if the alternative was a Tory/BP coalition.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I disagree with most of this.

Yes, SNP will pick up more seats (mainly from Tories) and Lib Dems will pick up more seats in rural areas (nearly exclusively from Tories) but can't see the LDs making many inroads elsewhere - they came second in just 38 seats in the 2017 election (nearly all to Tories). They may have hopes of picking up Vauxhall as it's a Remain seat held by Brexiteer Kate Hoey but she's retiring and it's odds-on that the Labour PPC will be a Remainer.

As I pointed out yesterday, Johnson has a dilemma. He can put himself forward as someone who can get a better deal than May - but that will mean that the Brexit Party will stand against him - or he can explicitly say that he's for No Deal - which will stop the BP but ensure that a lot of middle-of-the-road Tories arre unrepresented. He'll also have at least two former Tory ministers (Hammond and Stewart standing as independents - that's not a good look.

He's also, as we've seen in the past couple of days, a poor performer under pressure, Corbyn is a good campaigner and gain ground during an election.

There's talk of Corbyn delaying the election until November - after an EU extension - and that will hit Johnson hard. Remember "out by 31 October, no ifs or buts"?

I think the next parliament will be a hung parliament but it wouldn't shock me if Labour were the largest party

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that the rebel Tory MPs are a disgrace to their constituents and rightly so have been expelled from the Tory party. I shall be emailing Sir Nicholas Soames exactly that,. after a distinguished career what a sad way to go.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Stunning performance from the Chancellor today when he unveiled his spending plans, who could possibly not vote Tory hearing this brilliant news?

A speech delivered with vim and vigour and amazing positivity, yet, not a hint of shame that his party's actions have caused this need to ramp up public spending.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here