Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Q) How will the new speaker be elected?

A) Simple majority vote in the commons.

Q) What does the Conservative party no longer have, following the petulance of the right wingers...?

A) :banana:

Thought he said he'd stand down at the next election so the next parliament will elect the new speaker.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
He was going to stand down in August, having promised his wife at the beginning of the year, he would go. He has been the Speaker for ten years, having been re-elected three times, so that is enough for any one person.

He had stated though that he'd re-stand. I still find it weird that whichever seat the speaker holds all parties don't oppose them. I'd be a bit annoyed if it was my constituency.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's completely untrue: Hardie, Henderson, Adamson, McDonald. Clynes, Lansbury, Wilson and Callaghan were all leaders of the Labour party and all from working class backgrounds - in most cases, desperately poor ones too.

OK, I didn't make my point accurately. I meant never successfully (and even that would be an exaggeration). However you miss my point. I'm not interested in the class of the politician (although I will raise an eyebrow if three members of the same cabinet when to the same school; albeit because I disapprove of a clique, not the class). My post was in response to someone else who appears to think labour has been betrayed by middle class 'dilettantes' like Blair (and Corbyn). My point was that labour, as an effective entity, has always contained (and largely been led into power) by the soft hands of folk who have long since (or never) had to toil, and was certainly awash with Oxbridge graduates back in the halcyon days he hankers back to.

Additionally, since the person to whom I was responding appears to dislike Blair and Corbyn in equal measure, one wonders which labour leader (and cabinet) he, as a self-proclaimed former labour supporter, does approve. Taking the failures who never became PM out of the equation (Neil 'all-right!' Kinnock), we have Sunny Jim and his 'crisis, what crisis'. And we have Harold Wilson, with his white heat of technology (championed by the hoary-handed working class Minister of Technology, the former Viscount Stansgate, Anthony Wedgewood Benn).

Otherwise, fair enough.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Tom Tugendhat, Tory Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Commitee, has asked Dominic Raab to explain how we would trade on WTO terms in event of a no deal Brexit, when there are ‘inherent flaws ‘ and even the Leader of the organisation admits is ‘struggling with legitimacy ‘.
He asks why we would join a regime that, ( to quote) “would force UK businesses and supply chains to adapt to a new and substantially less liberal trade and regulatory architecture overnight”

He added that the USAs hostility to the WTO was another cause for concern. America is already refusing to confirm new Judges to the WTOs appeals process, which means unless they have a change of heart(Trump hates the WTO) by December then it will grind to a halt.

Tom Tugendhat is a Brexiteer Member of Parliament, before anyone accuses him of treason, snowflakery, project fear, or any other remainer type surrender.

I often ask Brexiters if they know who elects the WTO, seeing as they are so happy to abide by those rules. I never get an answer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And she is very very much her own person as recent history has proved, a silly cow granted, but we are yet again expecting the leavers to know and understand simple things, it would be easier to pass through the eye of a needle seeing as they are all to a man and woman as thick and ignorant as pig shit.

Now, now. That's a bit unfair. A desire to leave the EU based on dislike of foreigners and fear of what might happen in the future (straight bananans, floods of Turks, etc) is quite legitimate. Being racist and irrationally frightened of the unknown doesn't mean someone is thick. It simply means they are a bit of a wrong 'un. :shrug:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I often ask Brexiters if they know who elects the WTO, seeing as they are so happy to abide by those rules. I never get an answer.

There's a huge difference between the WTO ( effectively a worldwide trading union ) and the EU which is a political, fiscal and economic union. The EU started as a trading union and I'd have been happy to stay in it if that had been the case. The WTO has no plans to become a state …. unlike the EU.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And It's moments like this that I remember why I don't have Ppf and his friends on ignore :dunce:

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

On your prompting I took a peek.

:dunce:, :goal:. :goal:. :goal:

I also saw he had two goes at typing an inane reply to one of my posts (about keeping my 'red flying' corrected, not in the usual way, but by replying a second time. FFS).

No, there is nothing to see. Not even unintended comedy.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
On your prompting I took a peek.

:dunce:, :goal:. :goal:. :goal:

I also saw he had two goes at typing an inane reply to one of my posts (about keeping my 'red flying' corrected, not in the usual way, but by replying a second time. FFS).

No, there is nothing to see. Not even unintended comedy.

Did you really have any hope of seeing anything remotely intelligent or, come to that, literate?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tom Tugendhat is a Brexiteer Member of Parliament, before anyone accuses him of treason, snowflakery, project fear, or any other remainer type surrender.

TT is very much a Remainer - he even holds dual British/French citizenship

My post was in response to someone else who appears to think labour has been betrayed by middle class 'dilettantes' like Blair (and Corbyn). My point was that labour, as an effective entity, has always contained (and largely been led into power) by the soft hands of folk who have long since (or never) had to toil, and was certainly awash with Oxbridge graduates back in the halcyon days he hankers back to.

There's always been a bit of mixture. I don't think it's true to say that the Labour party was dominated by nobs. Yes, you get the odd Tony Benn but then you get the odd Prescott too. What does make things complicated are when you get people like Wilson or Roy Jenkins who both came from modest stock but went to Oxford and then, as you say, liked the finer things of life. But their political education sprang from their backgrounds in depression-hit Yorkshire and industrial south Wales.

we have Sunny Jim and his 'crisis, what crisis'. And we have Harold Wilson, with his white heat of technology

Wilson won four elections and saw off three leaders of the Tory party, that's a pretty successful record. He also oversaw the establishment of many new universities, I went to one of them (I actually got my degree from Wilson, he was the chancellor); the launch of the Open University, the liberalisation of abortion and homosexuality, the abolition of capital punishment and a boom in house-building. It's not a bad legacy (and I wish we had a government with a technology strategy now)

I think Callaghan is an under-rated PM. He was dealt a terrible hand. coping with the effects of Barber's boom and bust and the Arab-Israeli conflict and quadrupling of oil prices) and played it reasonably well. He was lampooned at the time but I think history will be kinder on him. He came into a power at a time when inflation was running at more than 20% and reduced it to, I think, 8%. Don't forget that when Thatcher came to power, he was more popular than she was - food for thought to those who think that because Johnson is more popular than Corbyn, the Tories will win the election.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There's a huge difference between the WTO ( effectively a worldwide trading union ) and the EU which is a political, fiscal and economic union. The EU started as a trading union and I'd have been happy to stay in it if that had been the case. The WTO has no plans to become a state …. unlike the EU.

Then why did the ERG vote down Theresa May's deal which included the customs union? Three times.

We were members of EFTA before we even joined the EU, but even that is being thrown away with this disastrous no deal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There's always been a bit of mixture. I don't think it's true to say that the Labour party was dominated by nobs. Yes, you get the odd Tony Benn but then you get the odd Prescott too. What does make things complicated are when you get people like Wilson or Roy Jenkins who both came from modest stock but went to Oxford and then, as you say, liked the finer things of life. But their political education sprang from their backgrounds in depression-hit Yorkshire and industrial south Wales.

Wilson won four elections and saw off three leaders of the Tory party, that's a pretty successful record. He also oversaw the establishment of many new universities, I went to one of them (I actually got my degree from Wilson, he was the chancellor); the launch of the Open University, the liberalisation of abortion and homosexuality, the abolition of capital punishment and a boom in house-building. It's not a bad legacy (and I wish we had a government with a technology strategy now)

I think Callaghan is an under-rated PM. He was dealt a terrible hand. coping with the effects of Barber's boom and bust and the Arab-Israeli conflict and quadrupling of oil prices) and played it reasonably well. He was lampooned at the time but I think history will be kinder on him. He came into a power at a time when inflation was running at more than 20% and reduced it to, I think, 8%. Don't forget that when Thatcher came to power, he was more popular than she was - food for thought to those who think that because Johnson is more popular than Corbyn, the Tories will win the election.

I liked Callaghan but the unions didn't help him.

Btw the liberalisation of abortion and homosexuality were introduced by David Steel who was a Liberal.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did you really have any hope of seeing anything remotely intelligent or, come to that, literate?

I was hoping more for unintentionally 'amusing'. Bit cruel perhaps....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Indeed. I have always liked the labour party. I was a member for ten years. Although I got annoyed with Blair and his funding of religious schools, Labour have always been the best hope for the largest number of us, and that's what counts. Without Labour we dave no NHS, no decent state schooling, no state pensions, no workers' rights. Despite my dislike of Corbyn, the current tory leadership have guaranteed I will vote against them next time. As...I always have (with some tactical voting). :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Nice bit of whataboutism :wink:

What do you think we should do about this perceived problem of yours, the EU then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here