Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Michael Gove is able to put the best case for Brexit across. However he is too 'toxic' to have much sway with the normal hardworking taxpayer. If the Brexit crowd had someone who appealed to the general population things would be looking much closer.

Gove is growing on us. Remain, beware!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Now you've gone past 500 pages, how's this thread going? In my view, the campaign illustrates that our politics is at the lowest of ebbs. To what extent will this post achieve consensus?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Gove is growing on us. Remain, beware!

Oh I agree, Gove is growing on me too, he doesn't seem to be a stooge unlike the majority of the tory party, which I respect. However it's probably too little too late for him.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Michael Gove is able to put the best case for Brexit across. However he is too 'toxic' to have much sway with the normal hardworking taxpayer. If the Brexit crowd had someone who appealed to the general population things would be looking much closer.
I thought the last opinion polls suggested a slight lead for exit. So what do you mean?

Sent from the boot of Lingard

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Wow what a contrast between Cameron and Gove on Sky.Cameron looked uncomfortable and clearly did not appeal to the audience whilst Gove was assured,likeable and got on well with the audience.Clearly the Leave campaign is gaining momentum.

Def a potential Prime Minister.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Now you've gone past 500 pages, how's this thread going? In my view, the campaign illustrates that our politics is at the lowest of ebbs. To what extent will this post achieve consensus?

It's going well,some strong opinions from some strong posters on both sides,old alliances strained and new alliances formed.......the vote is going only one way and that is through 'gritted' teeth we will remain,have postal voted out myself.

It shows how split the country is on this and well...........if North stand chat is around in 15 years (?) it would be good thread to bump.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Here’s the Press Association account of the member of the audience who compared Michael Gove to a first world war general.

Michael Gove was accused of being like a First World War general sending his men over the top with no idea what was on the other side as he faced a public grilling on the EU referendum.

Andrew Carnegie, who runs a small business making parts for intensive care units, asked Gove to set out a detailed economic plan for the UK’s future outside of the EU.

He said: “I think the answer is there is no economic plan. It appears to me that you are asking people to vote for a divorce and sort out the financial settlement afterwards and that makes no sense to me.

“With all due respect Mr Gove, it appears to me it’s almost like a first world war general. You are waving the flag, you are saying ‘over the top men’ but you have no idea what’s on the frontline or what the casualty rate will be in the conflicts to come.”

Gove replied: “It’s certainly an arresting image, the First World War image. What I’m putting my faith in is the ingenuity, creativity and the strength of the British people.

“Many of those who are arguing we should remain are trying to frighten you by saying that it would be impossible for Britain to succeed. They are saying that Britain is too small, too poor and we are all too stupid to be able to succeed on the outside.

“I comprehensively reject that.”

No plan, no clue, no hope.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Here’s the Press Association account of the member of the audience who compared Michael Gove to a first world war general.

Michael Gove was accused of being like a First World War general sending his men over the top with no idea what was on the other side as he faced a public grilling on the EU referendum.

Andrew Carnegie, who runs a small business making parts for intensive care units, asked Gove to set out a detailed economic plan for the UK’s future outside of the EU.

He said: “I think the answer is there is no economic plan. It appears to me that you are asking people to vote for a divorce and sort out the financial settlement afterwards and that makes no sense to me.

“With all due respect Mr Gove, it appears to me it’s almost like a first world war general. You are waving the flag, you are saying ‘over the top men’ but you have no idea what’s on the frontline or what the casualty rate will be in the conflicts to come.”

Gove replied: “It’s certainly an arresting image, the First World War image. What I’m putting my faith in is the ingenuity, creativity and the strength of the British people.

“Many of those who are arguing we should remain are trying to frighten you by saying that it would be impossible for Britain to succeed. They are saying that Britain is too small, too poor and we are all too stupid to be able to succeed on the outside.

The question is flawed and idiotic.

Much of the discussion on here is ridiculous quotation of economists predictions on what will happen if we leave.

NO ONE KNOWS OR CAN KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF WE LEAVE OR IF WE STAY.

STRUTH.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The question is flawed and idiotic.

Much of the discussion on here is ridiculous quotation of economists predictions on what will happen if we leave.

NO ONE KNOWS OR CAN KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF WE LEAVE OR IF WE STAY.

STRUTH.

To be honest,it will be just as bad long term if we remain....migrant workers and immigration will make sure of it........perhaps we are in an eventual NO WIN scenario..

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
What a stupid question to ask Gove what his plans were if Leave win.It doesn't mean he would overnight become Prime Minister and form a new goverment.It is still for Cameron to govern the country with the conservatives as Gove explained.Where do they find these idiots.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
To be honest,it will be just as bad long term if we remain....migrant workers and immigration will make sure of it........perhaps we are in an eventual NO WIN scenario..
The point is it is ridiculous to keep spouting economic predictions as the remain campaign has done.

We should all vote on whether we think the EU and it's plans for the future are a GOOD thing or not. I haven't heard a single thing from the remain campaign that has been positive about remaining, only made up stories about how bad things would be if we left. The EU is so unpopular that even it's supporters don't like it.

Polls around Europe are showing very wide support for similar referenda to our one. I would just love it if a chain reaction was set off.

The EU reminds me of FIFA, however much it's reformed, it will continue to cheat us and be a rich man's club. The whole thing needs taking down and replacing with a much more lose structure.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The point is it is ridiculous to keep spouting economic predictions as the remain campaign has done.

We should all vote on whether we think the EU and it's plans for the future are a GOOD thing or not. I haven't heard a single thing from the remain campaign that has been positive about remaining, only made up stories about how bad things would be if we left. The EU is so unpopular that even it's supporters don't like it.

Polls around Europe are showing very wide support for similar referenda to our one. I would just love it if a chain reaction was set off.

The EU reminds me of FIFA, however much it's reformed, it will continue to cheat us and be a rich man's club. The whole thing needs taking down and replacing with a much more lose structure.

I wholeheartedly agree..

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Agreed, apart from the last bit re: " The whole thing needs taking down and replacing with a much more lose structure." In my opinion the whole thing just needs taking down.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Agreed, apart from the last bit re: " The whole thing needs taking down and replacing with a much more lose structure." In my opinion the whole thing just needs taking down.
I'm talking about trade agreements. Not political integration.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

:ohmy:......where are those Eurotinted specs.......:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here