Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Ouch! On the 'university dons' one, I don't think you'd find many. Sussex Uni had a sort of mock poll before the 2016 Referendum and I think it was about 90% to remain. But I digress...……..

Additionally YouGov polling showed 68% of university graduates voted remain. 50/50 split on people educated to A-Level or equivalent. 70% of people only educated to GCSE/O-Level standard or lower voted leave.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Happily. A small majority of people voted in favour of the vision of Leave as put forward by the official Leave campaign Vote Leave. On page 11 of their official document this included this line;

And strangely, the EU only said after the referendum result that they would refuse to have discussions before Article 50, the legal process, had been enacted. A cynic might suggest that either they never expected anyone to vote to leave their club or maybe that they wanted to 'teach us a lesson' - which before you accuse me of anything - was a phrase uttered by senior EU people.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I really would like to ask a very simple question to all you ardent Brexiteers. I have asked this question many many times on Facebook and only had one reply! The question is how will Brexit improve the every day lives of ordinary people? The only leaver to reply after asking the question maybe 30 or so times is that it won't! Which sort of begs the question why are we doing this. If it isn't going to improve the every day lives of ordinary people what is the point? Would be really nice if some of you brexiteers could enlighten me on how ordinary peoples every day lives will be improved.

Good grief .... how many times does the same question have to be parroted by remainers ? Read the rest of the thread for your answer.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Additionally YouGov polling showed 68% of university graduates voted remain. 50/50 split on people educated to A-Level or equivalent. 70% of people only educated to GCSE/O-Level standard or lower voted leave.

Interesting that you used the word 'only' - do you think you're somehow better holding that degree in business ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good grief .... how many times does the same question have to be parroted by remainers ? Read the rest of the thread for your answer.

To be fair, I don't recall you telling us why you voted Brexit. You've told us many many many times that some of the reasons trumpeted by Brexiteers weren't the reasons you voted Brexit, but I've been conversing with you on this thread for 3 years and I don't recall your reasoning at all

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I really would like to ask a very simple question to all you ardent Brexiteers. I have asked this question many many times on Facebook and only had one reply! The question is how will Brexit improve the every day lives of ordinary people? The only leaver to reply after asking the question maybe 30 or so times is that it won't! Which sort of begs the question why are we doing this. If it isn't going to improve the every day lives of ordinary people what is the point? Would be really nice if some of you brexiteers could enlighten me on how ordinary peoples every day lives will be improved.

But hey, at least we’ll have blue passports! Never mind the food shortages, medicine shortages and the economic chaos it will cause, ‘cause, you know, we’ll have “taken back control”! :facepalm:

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Oh dear. Some paranoid leave voting feathers have been ruffled.

Given I don't fall into either of your two bottom brackets there's no feathers rufflued here. Just wondered why you used the word 'only' ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
And strangely, the EU only said after the referendum result that they would refuse to have discussions before Article 50, the legal process, had been enacted. A cynic might suggest that either they never expected anyone to vote to leave their club or maybe that they wanted to 'teach us a lesson' - which before you accuse me of anything - was a phrase uttered by senior EU people.

Vote Leave also said:

"We will negotiate a new UK-EU Treaty and end the legal supremacy of EU law and the European Court before the 2020 election. We do not necessarily have to use Article 50 - we may agree with the EU another path that is in both our interests."

Sequencing as per Article 50 it was though. I remember David Davis saying there'd be 'the mother of all rows' over that in the summer of 2017. He really sounded like he meant business and knew what he was talking about as well. (A bit like when he said German car manufacturers would be demanding a deal the day after a leave vote, but a bit angrier.) Instead, rather like England's batting at the Lord's test match a couple of weeks back, we'd capitulated by lunch on the first day and agreed to it. I can't imagine why. Where do you reckon his cigarette packet with his notes written on the reverse was? I'm going for front left trouser pocket.

BN-UH758_39k7L_16H_20170717103328.jpg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I've never felt so ruffled in my life.

Soon be Halloween.

It will. Help me out here - explain to me briefly how things will function in a 'no deal' scenario again? Or will blind faith and 'believing' in Brexit be enough?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I asked you what benefits us coming out of the EU, and you mentioned the CAP. I replied with the reforms that the UK has negotiated with the EU (seven of them) and how the NFU feels now. You haven't replied.
Do you still feel farmers will benefit from being out of the EU?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
To be fair, I don't recall you telling us why you voted Brexit. You've told us many many many times that some of the reasons trumpeted by Brexiteers weren't the reasons you voted Brexit, but I've been conversing with you on this thread for 3 years and I don't recall your reasoning at all

Given you generally don't resort to insults and that we have polite conversing here you go, for one final time, and very briefly :

We joined a trading group - nothing wrong with that. A group like that has to have some rules - fine. That trading group morphed slowly into a political union with the British electorate having no say on it ( thank you Tony Blair ). The aim of that political union, and they no longer hide it, is complete political, economic and fiscal union.

I don't believe, in the long run, that will benefit the UK. I believe that we shoud have complete control over our fiscal and economic polices. We want to reduce VAT - we should be able to. We want to strike a trade ageement - we should be able to. We want to ban live exports or say cattle being badly treated for the sake of Italian cheese - we should be able to. We want to secure our borders - we should be able to.

Despite not being in the Eurozone we are beholden to a stupid mistake in another members economy - hence our bailout of Ireland and Portugal. Some of our membership fees are moved to the 'poorer' southern countries yet we have deprived areas in this country that the money could benefit.

The EU wants to be a state - it doesn't hide it - it has a flag, an anthem, a minister for foreign affairs - Merkel and Macron have both made public statements about an EU army being a desire. Everything aiming for statehood. I don't believe that is a good club for the UK to belong to in the long term.

Not so brief in the end and no doubt people will attempt to rip it to shreds - and ask the question again, and again, and again.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I didn't. YouGov's analysis piece on their polling did. Take it up with them perhaps?

Maybe if you'd bothered to highlight that the wording and not just the data was from YouGov I wouldn't have attributed the phrase to you.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

So what you're saying is that the premise on which people voted to Leave turned out to be untrue from the day after the referendum? Not sure how something can be then claimed as being democratic and "the will of the people" when it was disproved over three years ago.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I asked you what benefits us coming out of the EU, and you mentioned the CAP. I replied with the reforms that the UK has negotiated with the EU (seven of them) and how the NFU feels now. You haven't replied.
Do you still feel farmers will benefit from being out of the EU?

CAP is still anti the environment ( encourages over production ), still benefits the larger farms ( i.e. the French ) and still wastes money on unpoliced schemes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here