Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Boris no showed because of some booing

Hahahaha

What a strong leader

Has he got no PR adviser? Regardless of the circumstances, not showing up for a presser looks terrible - particularly a week after calling Corbyn a chicken.

That's a really appalling error, what most the Europeans think?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Boris no showed because of some booing

Hahahaha

What a strong leader

My favourite episode of The Incredible Hulk was always the one where he didn't bother showing up because there were a few people likely to shout at him.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
No political party has ever campaigned before on doing away with a previous government's policies?
That's aside from 17.4 million who voted in an advisory referendum which wasn't binding, but then you know that.

When leavers start bleating about their vote being ignored, then you know you are getting near to a breakthrough.

Undemocratic loons bleating on about the referendum being advisory only after they lose it ... desperate as ever.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
But I can't go to Spain without a passport. What part of travel freely do you not get? I thought the EU would be like the UK, I travel freely to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Not to Europe. Also, on another note, the EU is now going to cause paramilitary war on the island of Ireland again, which makes our agreement null and void. That is what they are happy to see.

A friendly word. You are making yourself look ridiculous.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Has he got no PR adviser? Regardless of the circumstances, not showing up for a presser looks terrible - particularly a week after calling Corbyn a chicken.

That's a really appalling error, what most the Europeans think?

Starting to think his tactic is to piss them off to the point they don’t agree to an extension

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
How do you tally this up with the fact that in order to enact their policy they'd have to win a General Election? Or do General Elections no longer count as democracy?

Over 80% of the electorate voted for parties promising to enact the referendum result at the last GE .... you tell me?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Undemocratic loons bleating on about the referendum being advisory only after they lose it ... desperate as ever.

Because some of the Brexiters don't seem to realise almost ALL referendums in the UK are advisory, and there are only very specific circumstances in which they are not. Here's a handy guide for you;

Q. Does the referendum I am voting in have a direct impact on the way MPs are voted into the House of Commons?

If Yes, the referendum you are voting in is binding and the Government cannot ignore the result.
If No, the referendum you are voting in is advisory therefore can be happily ignored by everyone forever if they so choose.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Over 80% of the electorate voted for parties promising to enact the referendum result at the last GE .... you tell me?

At the last election, yes. But this policy would be enacted if the Lib Dems won the next election outright. Therefore who cares what happened in the 2017 Election?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
How do you tally this up with the fact that in order to enact their policy they'd have to win a General Election? Or do General Elections no longer count as democracy?

My initial thinking was that this approach, i.e. to just revoke article 50 without another referendum, was too much.

Although thinking about it more, if you democratically win a GE on the basis of doing x, then you have a democratic mandate for doing x and it cannot be undemocratic.

On the same token, if there was a GE prior to 31st October and the Tory manifesto was to leave with no deal and the Tory party won it would not be undemocratic to leave with no deal, as it currently is.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Looks like your hero Johnson is having as much trouble as you trying to define a 'good deal'

Brexit: UK offers no solution to replace backstop, says EU

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49709430

Maybe you should have another go at explaining how it's going to work, as your last (and only) attempt was NSC Gold :lolol:

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?343854-The-Brexit-Thread&p=9012165&viewfull=1#post9012165

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Because some of the Brexiters don't seem to realise almost ALL referendums in the UK are advisory, and there are only very specific circumstances in which they are not. Here's a handy guide for you;

Q. Does the referendum I am voting in have a direct impact on the way MPs are voted into the House of Commons?

If Yes, the referendum you are voting in is binding and the Government cannot ignore the result.
If No, the referendum you are voting in is advisory therefore can be happily ignored by everyone forever if they so choose.

Here's a handy reminder of what the government promised in their remain propaganda leaflet....

screen-shot-2017-11-20-at-23-09-31.png

.... obviously, if Remain had won you would be fine if they reneged on that promise and said we were leaving .. after all the referendum was only advisory.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Here's a handy reminder of what the government promised in their remain propaganda leaflet....

screen-shot-2017-11-20-at-23-09-31.png

.... obviously, if Remain had won you would be fine if they reneged on that promise and said we were leaving .. after all the referendum was only advisory.

The Tory Government that wrote that is long gone.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I am just using language leavers understand. It is ok for them to use it but not us!?

I wish no-one used it. Things seem to be going in a disturbing direction.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
My initial thinking was that this approach, i.e. to just revoke article 50 without another referendum, was too much.

Although thinking about it more, if you democratically win a GE on the basis of doing x, then you have a democratic mandate for doing x and it cannot be undemocratic.

On the same token, if there was a GE prior to 31st October and the Tory manifesto was to leave with no deal and the Tory party won it would not be undemocratic to leave with no deal, as it currently is.

Exactly. The UK is, ultimately, a Winner Takes All political system. If we were a country built on consensus and coalition, as most European countries are politically, then we arguably wouldn't even be here right now as there'd never have been a referendum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here