Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where are you getting your 30% rejection rate figures from for EU nationals on the settled status scheme.
The only figures of the home office scheme I saw were home office figures published in May this year
That home office report said 600,000 had applied and from the 3 initial tests 230,000 had applied. 95% of those 230,000 had been processed and
“ 0 applications were refused status under the scheme”.
69% of application were granted settled status
31% of applications were granted pre-settled status.

The next batch of data from the home office is due out some time in august according to that report

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ement-scheme-public-beta-testing-phase-report

I see, so your answer is you don’t know where you got your figure from of 30% of EU nationals applying for pre and settled status have been rejected, so you thought you would deflect onto something else……….i can hazard a guess where you got the figure of 30% from
You clearly have a problem with figures if you think those figures in the report are just a few thousand.
Oh and by the way there are not 3 million EU citizens working here. There are those here who are economically inactive, those who are family members, those who are jobseekers etc.

May 2016 There were an estimated 2.15 million EU nationals working in the UK Labour Market
May 2019 There were an estimated 2.38 million EU nationals working in the UK Labour Market.

Source ONS
https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentan...letins/uklabourmarket/previousReleases&page=1

No, that isn't my answer. I was still in bed using my Ipad when I replied and hadn't had enough time to look for where I'd read it.

This article shows quite a few of the pitfalls.
1. People who are retired won't have five years employment records to show. There are people who have lived here since the 1940s who came here after the war.
2. People who are self employed
3. There is only an online record, and no document showing settled status so for future jobs, there may well be a problem.
4. People who are stay at home parents or carers who won't have an employment record.

There are comments in this article of some of the difficulties people are facing. The director of Ofsted was refused because he didn't show evidence from 2013 despite the app only requiring 5 years.

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/02/06/warning-lights-flashing-over-eu-settled-status-app

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/pbc/...n_(EU_Withdrawal)_Bill/09-0_2019-03-05a.328.3

I ask the Minister: how is that fair? In the event of no deal, the Government are proposing to reduce the time that people have to apply for settled status. The process of registering 3 million people is already a challenge, and some people believe it might be beyond the Home Office. With less time comes greater risk of mistakes, so why are the Government reducing the means of appeal?

We are talking about a finite number of people who have already been subject to two and a half years of uncertainty. It is worth remembering that about 100 EEA citizens were erroneously threatened with deportation by the Home Office in 2017. Is it really fair to anybody that we are expected to trust the Home Office to mark its own homework? An accessible right of appeal under any terms on which we exit the European Union would provide much-needed reassurance to EU nationals.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think that is the intention, but it is hard to see how someone can prove they have the rights of employment or housing until they get their paperwork in order. The intention is that no arrivals after exit day will be able to apply for pre-settled status, whereas this was going to run to the end of the withdrawal period, if we leave with the transitional arrangements. Those who are already here should be ok, but how will a new employer know the difference? How will an existing employer know that their employee will pass the application process?
I still think no deal is not going to happen, and all planning and moves are just for show, but it is not fun for the front seat passengers in this game of chicken.

As I pointed out in my other post, the settled status is online only. There is no physical document.
In May a couple returning from holiday were refused entry onto a BA flight because border force officials hadn't got a clue what they were doing.

It took 24 hours, seven phone calls to the Home Office and others and the intervention of their Liberal Democrat MP, Layla Moran, before BA let them on the plane.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...scheme-doesnt-work-say-couple-held-at-airport

D

Deleted member 2719

I don't think I am. They would have seen the reports from all areas and the detail now. They know it can't be done in 71 days.

Johnson's best bet now will be the vote of no confidence. 'I was going to do it, but THEY stopped me'

*edit*
The only problem with this is that we will continue to get the same people whining that it isn't what they voted for and that it is 'project fear' and we should believe more :rolleyes:

To tell the truth, part of me just thinks F*** it, let's go no deal. I'm retired and it won't effect me much. Although both my kids are working, I believe they will survive it (in fact, one of them has benefited hugely in Business as a direct result of this whole Brexit farce already :blush:) and a lot of Leave voters would deserve it. However, I know that millions who don't deserve it would suffer, so I can't really wish for 'no deal'.

Think of it as an opportunity and stop thinking about it as the here and now.
There will be copious amounts that your kids will get from this life experience, they willl learn and grow rather than stagnate within the snowflake society within the EU.
Go and get them Boris its great to see a politian with balls again, snowflakes will say thats sexist, but Britain needs to fight Its corner, if the EU have any sense they will work with us, If not its their loss.
The future is bright the future is leave, I can only hope the super intelligent remoaners have put their own contingency plans in place, because the cliff is crumbling, a parachute should do the trick, just make sure are wearing your pampers.

See you on the beach.:cool:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Boris throwing down the Gauntlet too the EU, how much longer before they buckle or maybe they're up for a no deal exit???
Regards
DR

I don’t know why but I have a distinct hunch that you didn’t even vote. I just can’t see you putting the effort into anything. I think you’re just lucky that the vote went in favour of leave. No, unless they had a polling station at the job centre I can’t see you leaving the house and getting proactive. This is why you refuse to answer the question of why you voted leave; because you didn’t.
I’m right aren’t I.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Britain needs to fight Its corner, if the EU have any sense they will work with us

This is such a British response. It’s a fight. And you add a caveat for when you lose ie the EU had no sense. Rule Britannia:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So you say everything is there, NI records, employment and so on, what are they saying is missing?

Have you been under a stone for the past few years. We are talking about the British Home Office.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And as vague and vacuous at [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION].

Let's face it, the remaining (ironic) four or five stringent Brexiteers, the ones who simply refuse to admit that we are headed for disaster, really are not just thick but truly, truly moronic. Why are they even on this thread, defending Brexit if they are so sure it's the right thing to do? Argumentative bell-ends. To a man.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Go and get them Boris its great to see a politian with balls again, snowflakes will say thats sexist, but Britain needs to fight Its corner, if the EU have any sense they will work with us

These are our closest allies and trading partners. Why are we "fighting" them?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks to leavers, this country is utterly ****ed.

I can't remember what newspaper I saw it in but one contributor made a distinction between Leavers and Brexiteers.

The Leavers voted leave in the referendum, thinking that the government would negotiate a deal and plan an orderly exit. They are horrified at the total mess that the government has made of things.

Brexiteers voted leave in the referendum, just wanting to get out. They don't care that the government has made a mess of things, they just want to leave ... even without (or even, especially without) a deal.

I think it's a useful distinction - there are definitely both types on here

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I can't remember what newspaper I saw it in but one contributor made a distinction between Leavers and Brexiteers.

The Leavers voted leave in the referendum, thinking that the government would negotiate a deal and plan an orderly exit. They are horrified at the total mess that the government has made of things.

Brexiteers voted leave in the referendum, just wanting to get out. They don't care that the government has made a mess of things, they just want to leave ... even without (or even, especially without) a deal.

I think it's a useful distinction - there are definitely both types on here

I agree entirely. It's also why Brexiteers are so desperate to avoid a second referendum, because there is a strong likelihood of a significant proportion of those Leavers actually saying "**** this, might as well stay in".

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree entirely. It's also why Brexiteers are so desperate to avoid a second referendum, because there is a strong likelihood of a significant proportion of those Leavers actually saying "**** this, might as well stay in".

Imagine "winning" being so important to you that you'd happily **** up your own country for decades to come just so that you "won".

Imagine being that ****ing pathetic.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Imagine "winning" being so important to you that you'd happily **** up your own country for decades to come just so that you "won".

Imagine being that ****ing pathetic.

Has been my point for some time. Its the fear of being ridiculed down the pub or on forums, that these thin skinned twats are terrified of. Far better for the country to go down rather than them being laughed at.
They really are 'winners'

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
aec.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yep, the silly man doesn't know the difference between UEFA and the EU.

[tweet]1164094105481297920[/tweet]

That was less funny and more painful to watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here