Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Those Brexit dividends keep on rolling in ...

Brexit brings motoring insurance savings

British motorists have been saved from a £50 a year insurance rise after ministers scrapped “insane” EU laws that would have increased premiums to ride on lawnmowers, tractors, mobility scooters and golf buggies.

The so-called Vnuk motor insurance law would have seen homeowners facing prosecution for driving any “vehicle” on their property or in public without insurance.

But, Grant Shapps has announced that Britain’s decision to leave the European Union has meant drivers will side step the price increase.

Had the EU law been implemented it would have meant the insurance industry would have been liable for almost £2 billion in extra costs.

The increase would inevitably have been passed onto customers, with insurance premiums rising by an estimated £50 a year for 25 million people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/02/21/brexit-brings-motoring-insurance-savings/

A third of construction companies expect to provide more jobs for British workers

CITB’s annual Migration Survey showed while there are challenges ahead for the sector which is set to grow by a quarter of million workers in the next four years, British construction is a robust industry which is well provide more opportunities for British workers, as the number of migrant workers falls.

Among the findings were that 41% of employers will look to increase the skills of British workers, almost a third (30%) will provide more permanent jobs for Brits, a quarter (24%) will increase minimum salaries, and 16% will look to take on more local apprentices
. While employers reported a fall in the number of migrant employees, there was a rise in the number of self-employed migrants working for the industry.

https://www.fenews.co.uk/press-rele...its-in-construction-sector-brexit-bounce-back

An analysis of the rental market in England has revealed a dramatic drop in the number of EU nationals taking up tenancies.

The proportion of EU tenants living in England has decreased since 2017 - so from just after the EU Referendum - as the demographics changed

PropTech platform Goodlord has analysed an England-wide sample of 300,000 rental tenancy agreements signed between January 2017 and November 2020.

From January 2017 to November 2020 the proportion of EU renters in England fell from 20 per cent to 14 per cent of all tenants.

International tenants from non-EU countries are also down, from 13 per cent to 11 per cent.

As a result, the proportion of renters with UK citizenship rose from 66 to 74 per cent.

https://www.landlordtoday.co.uk/bre...tal-market-as-number-of-eu-nationals-plummets

Who knew that regaining control of and restricting EU immigration would lead to more availability for UK renters and reduced pressure on housing stock ...

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Those Brexit dividends keep on rolling in ...

Brexit brings motoring insurance savings

British motorists have been saved from a £50 a year insurance rise after ministers scrapped “insane” EU laws that would have increased premiums to ride on lawnmowers, tractors, mobility scooters and golf buggies.

The so-called Vnuk motor insurance law would have seen homeowners facing prosecution for driving any “vehicle” on their property or in public without insurance.

But, Grant Shapps has announced that Britain’s decision to leave the European Union has meant drivers will side step the price increase.

Had the EU law been implemented it would have meant the insurance industry would have been liable for almost £2 billion in extra costs.

The increase would inevitably have been passed onto customers, with insurance premiums rising by an estimated £50 a year for 25 million people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/02/21/brexit-brings-motoring-insurance-savings/

A third of construction companies expect to provide more jobs for British workers

CITB’s annual Migration Survey showed while there are challenges ahead for the sector which is set to grow by a quarter of million workers in the next four years, British construction is a robust industry which is well provide more opportunities for British workers, as the number of migrant workers falls.

Among the findings were that 41% of employers will look to increase the skills of British workers, almost a third (30%) will provide more permanent jobs for Brits, a quarter (24%) will increase minimum salaries, and 16% will look to take on more local apprentices
. While employers reported a fall in the number of migrant employees, there was a rise in the number of self-employed migrants working for the industry.

https://www.fenews.co.uk/press-rele...its-in-construction-sector-brexit-bounce-back

An analysis of the rental market in England has revealed a dramatic drop in the number of EU nationals taking up tenancies.

The proportion of EU tenants living in England has decreased since 2017 - so from just after the EU Referendum - as the demographics changed

PropTech platform Goodlord has analysed an England-wide sample of 300,000 rental tenancy agreements signed between January 2017 and November 2020.

From January 2017 to November 2020 the proportion of EU renters in England fell from 20 per cent to 14 per cent of all tenants.

International tenants from non-EU countries are also down, from 13 per cent to 11 per cent.

As a result, the proportion of renters with UK citizenship rose from 66 to 74 per cent.

https://www.landlordtoday.co.uk/bre...tal-market-as-number-of-eu-nationals-plummets

Who knew that regaining control of and restricting EU immigration would lead to more availability for UK renters and reduced pressure on housing stock ...

But who is going to serve us in Pret?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Unlike you, I was thinking of these hapless souls' well being.

Being surrounded by flowers on a daily basis might lighten their burden.

Yes, only by putting them out to be forced labour in the fields will they truly understand happiness.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Coming from the current King of Evasion that's bit rich. But yes I do/would, why not? Obviously it's not accountability in the political sense. However we don't vote for govts on a single issue unlike a referendum. so it's a bit of a false equivalent. I think you know this. (And I wasn't actually asking you to take responsibility - the wording was just 'how do you feel'?)

So why not answer my question (4th time)? It's OK, I won't ask again. But this sort of thing ((job losses and the like) will be pointed out - and completely justifiably - for as long as this thread lasts, so I guess you might as well get used to it.

In the main, we all just vote for what we believe is the best option for us our family our country so I'm not really into holding individuals to account as some sort of childish point-scoring game. Voting to stay in the EU wasn't really 'a single issue' though was it as it impacted on numerous areas such as who governs us, economy, immigration, social cohesion, national identity, security to name but a few.

I'm trying to imagine if I would be the sort of person who after a theoretical Labour victory would have spent nearly every day online trawling for grim news insisting Labour voters take responsibility and should feel shame for every job loss I could find and even take pleasure in some cases if heavily Labour voting areas experienced factory closures proclaiming the Labour Government as a complete disaster in its first year in office .... the answer, fortunately, is no as I'm not a stupid ****.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In the main, we all just vote for what we believe is the best option for us our family our country so I'm not really into holding individuals to account as some sort of childish point-scoring game. Voting to stay in the EU wasn't really 'a single issue' though was it as it impacted on numerous areas such as who governs us, economy, immigration, social cohesion, national identity, security to name but a few.

I'm trying to imagine if I would be the sort of person who after a theoretical Labour victory would have spent nearly every day online trawling for grim news insisting Labour voters take responsibility and should feel shame for every job loss I could find and even take pleasure in some cases if heavily Labour voting areas experienced factory closures proclaiming the Labour Government as a complete disaster in its first year in office .... the answer, fortunately, is no as I'm not a stupid ****.

Well obviously. An ardent Unionist voting for a border in the Irish sea is of course, the action of a pure genius :lolol:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well obviously. An ardent Unionist voting for a border in the Irish sea is of course, the action of a pure genius :lolol:

But hey but less pesky foreigners around, chasing...... yes less jobs.

Just wait till the Tories start addressing workers rights, the best is still to come

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I just knew all that Brexit good news would go down really well with the 5th column collective :lolol:

And another snowflake falls ....

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Five years later you'd get the chance to vote that Labour Government out when it turned out they'd won on the back of a pack of lies and had made life a lot worse for everyone. Are you suggesting we'll get another vote on Brexit this June?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
We have left,we are not going back,we are going forward with Boris and a big Tory majority.Hope those in the EU get a covid jab sometime soon.Perhaps you could apply to the UK embassy for emergency treatment?Bonne Chance.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We have left,we are not going back,we are going forward with Boris and a big Tory majority.Hope those in the EU get a covid jab sometime soon.Perhaps you could apply to the UK embassy for emergency treatment?Bonne Chance.

Presumptuous.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
But hey but less pesky foreigners around, chasing...... yes less jobs.

Just wait till the Tories start addressing workers rights, the best is still to come

24e9ecc76fff28be30e8091691c64441.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'll have a 50p wager with you that we don't return.

Over what timeframe? I agree we won't return in the next 5 years. It's doubtful in the next 10 years. I wouldn't rule it out by the end of the 2030s.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Over what timeframe? I agree we won't return in the next 5 years. It's doubtful in the next 10 years. I wouldn't rule it out by the end of the 2030s.

'Tis the beginning of the end for that bureaucratic egocentric hub of officialdom.

I think we can all see that even clearer after the vaccine fiasco.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here