Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Everyone falls for adverts,

You might want to speak to Mrs W about that statement. Many an arguement has ensued as she thinks I'm an ignorrant, cynical and stubborn old git because I always say adverts are a load of old bollocks and that all sales and marketing people liars. I never take in an advert and refuse to engage with sales people. Mrs W works in marketing so it's a match made in heaven !

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You might want to speak to Mrs W about that statement. Many an arguement has ensued as she thinks I'm an ignorrant, cynical and stubborn old git because I always say adverts are a load of old bollocks and that all sales and marketing people liars. I never take in an advert and refuse to engage with sales people. Mrs W works in marketing so it's a match made in heaven !

I think this post beautifully sums you up.
I think your wife is right.
I am loving your spelling of ignorant.
What an own goal.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I bet you ask for a coke and not for a cola, if you ever drink the stuff.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I think this post beautifully sums you up.
I think your wife is right.
I am loving your spelling of ignorant.
What an own goal.

Not a whole extra 'r' .... oh the stress of it all. As usual, someone can't put up a valid debatable point so picks on the spelling instead.

I assume you work in sales then !

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I bet you ask for a coke and not for a cola, if you ever drink the stuff.

Never drink the stuff but I fail to see how using what has become the generic name for cola means someone falls for the adverts. It's no different to calling a vaccum cleaner a hoover.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Never drink the stuff but I fail to see how using what has become the generic name for cola means someone falls for the adverts. It's no different to calling a vaccum cleaner a hoover.

How did they become the generic names for their products?
Not all marketing is a direct "buy me now", brand awareness is a massive part of how some companies carve out a large portion of their market. In Politics, there has been a long and ongoing marketing of the idea that the EU creates pointless rules, wastes money and interferes where it shouldn't. The ads and statements in the campaign were easier then to swallow, despite there being little truth in much of it, because the EU brand was already in mind as a shoddy product for many.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
How did they become the generic names for their products?
Not all marketing is a direct "buy me now", brand awareness is a massive part of how some companies carve out a large portion of their market. In Politics, there has been a long and ongoing marketing of the idea that the EU creates pointless rules, wastes money and interferes where it shouldn't. The ads and statements in the campaign were easier then to swallow, despite there being little truth in much of it, because the EU brand was already in mind as a shoddy product for many.

Not to mention certain newspapers.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You can certainly tell that remainers post all day! You have jobs you individuals? Leavers arrive at night suggesting they work!

No, I'm retired. I worked for 50 years so now I can faff around all day on my pc. Enjoy your work.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I think it's nonsense - adverts work and advertising is a huge industry. Everyone falls for adverts, he's the one suggesting people are gullible not remainers.

The other thing to note is that these weren't generic adverts on page 17 of a newspaper or similar, rather direct specific and targeted 'adverts', which were designed to appeal to people's emotions. I understand that often they weren't even obviously adverts. It was all very insidious.

I am not sure to what extent these had an effect, but I am sure that they had some.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

"I don't drink Guinness because of the advertising. I drink Guinness because it's good for me."

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
"You can certainly tell that remainers post all day! You have jobs you individuals? Leavers arrive at night suggesting they work!"

Totally agree! There is most certainly something of the night about some of our Leavers...…………………..

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not a whole extra 'r' .... oh the stress of it all. As usual, someone can't put up a valid debatable point so picks on the spelling instead.

I assume you work in sales then !

But I have put up a valid debatable point, your wife thinks you are an IGNORANT, stubborn and cynical old git and I agree with her.
I think most leavers are ignorant and stubborn and you have said that you are by not taking any notice of any advertising.
I also think that most leavers are so thick that they have trouble spelling even simple words.
If this was a court case you would go straight down for 10 years based on your post.
No, I don't work in sales or marketing but if an advert tells me that there is a new product out that I have an interest in, I tend to believe them and make enquiries.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Remain to Leaver;

"Can you highlight what you think might be the benefits of leaving the EU"?

L to R: "You're just bitter, bitter and angry and moaning"

R to L: " I'm just asking what benefits you think we might enjoy"?

L to R: "Why do you post in the daytime"?

Bunch of ****ing idiots.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But I have put up a valid debatable point, your wife thinks you are an IGNORANT, stubborn and cynical old git and I agree with her.
I think most leavers are ignorant and stubborn and you have said that you are by not taking any notice of any advertising.
I also think that most leavers are so thick that they have trouble spelling even simple words.
If this was a court case you would go straight down for 10 years based on your post.
No, I don't work in sales or marketing but if an advert tells me that there is a new product out that I have an interest in, I tend to believe them and make enquiries.

Advertising works on the vast majority of people. Otherwise they wouldn't spend billions on it. And the idea that a leave voter who was gullible enough to fall for the bus slogans and Farage's "We're Full" billboards, wouldn't fall for advertising is as laughable as their pro-brexit arguments.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Advertising works on the vast majority of people. Otherwise they wouldn't spend billions on it. And the idea that a leave voter who was gullible enough to fall for the bus slogans and Farage's "We're Full" billboards, wouldn't fall for advertising is as laughable as their pro-brexit arguments.

You make a stupid assumption that I 'fell for the bus slogan'. I wanted us to leave the EU long before Farage was ever on the scene - since around 1986 actually. Thought you were slightly more intelligent than that Clampy.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
You make a stupid assumption that I 'fell for the bus slogan'. I wanted us to leave the EU long before Farage was ever on the scene - since around 1986 actually. Thought you were slightly more intelligent than that Clampy.

Indeed. This misconception that nobody wanted out before the bus and it's all a recent fad is absurd. Also, nice to see a positive take on Clamp's savviness, not all posters would be so generous.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Of course it works, that's how the official Vote Leave campaign got the nearly 3 million non-voters out to vote in 2016, with Farage doing the dirty work with his Muslim poster and getting the knuckle dragger vote to turn out. Dominic Cummings himself said the bus was absolutely crucial.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

So they've had you since 1986. Not sure that's a good thing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here