View Poll Results: If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

Voters
859. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remain

    585 68.10%
  • Leave

    242 28.17%
  • Wouldn’t vote

    32 3.73%
  1. #91331
    Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Faversham
    Posts
    20,693


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Westdene Seagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed but the problem is our type of government - it's all about opposing rather than working together. It's why PR is the only thing that can save face for our democracy but that would require the Tories and Labour voting for Chistmas ..... and they will never want to give up the power of a single party government .... what is it they say about absolute power ?
    I get your point but I don't agree with your analysis. Parties coalesce into vague left and right blocs, and you still end up with government and opposition. The only real difference resulting from PR is there is more chance that smaller parties will get seats making it more likely that coalitions will be required. This means large mainstream parties teaming up withh smaller extreme parties. Thus in Israel we have right wing religious extreme parties part of the government bloc with Likud, or (occasionally) the hairy arse lefties in coalition with labour. It is a bit like here when May had to buddy up with the DUP (doh!). Solves nothing, gives voice to extremists, plus you NEVER get what you voted for because coalitions require compromise within the government block, and compromise means going back on election promises. Of all the things that spell suicide for a British Government (especially a labour one) is going back on promises. And elsewhere PR generates weak and unstable governments and a need for a new general election every few years (Italy). I prefer the system we have, and feel that we get the governments we deserve.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA
    It's only them that aren't their targets that love the violent and the madmen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLijS6Cstk

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #91332

      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I get your point but I don't agree with your analysis. Parties coalesce into vague left and right blocs, and you still end up with government and opposition. The only real difference resulting from PR is there is more chance that smaller parties will get seats making it more likely that coalitions will be required. This means large mainstream parties teaming up withh smaller extreme parties. Thus in Israel we have right wing religious extreme parties part of the government bloc with Likud, or (occasionally) the hairy arse lefties in coalition with labour. It is a bit like here when May had to buddy up with the DUP (doh!). Solves nothing, gives voice to extremists, plus you NEVER get what you voted for because coalitions require compromise within the government block, and compromise means going back on election promises. Of all the things that spell suicide for a British Government (especially a labour one) is going back on promises. And elsewhere PR generates weak and unstable governments and a need for a new general election every few years (Italy). I prefer the system we have, and feel that we get the governments we deserve.
      I refer the Right Honourable Gentleman to my earlier answer https://www.northstandchat.com/showt...=1#post8962018

      Of the 43 countries most often considered to be within Europe, 40 use some form of proportional representation to elect their MPs.

      Unfortunately, I understand enough about the situation to know it isn't going to happen and I'm mature enough to accept it
    • #91333
      Members
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Location
      Deepest, darkest Sussex
      Posts
      3,775


      0 Not allowed!

      Am I watching Brighton or Barcelona?
    • #91334
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Bloody Worthing!
      Posts
      3,573


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      While you raise a valid point about Corbyn's behaviour during the referendum, I'm not sure what more they could have done. They put forward countless motions about alternative approaches, all of which were defeated. The opposition doesn't really have much sway when it comes down to it.

      And the programme was about the EU's interaction with the UK and Labour was excluded from the process. What were they to do? Was Starmer supposed to turn up at a meeting Davis or Raab was having and gatecrash it in an Ivanka Trump fashion?
      I think we might agree to differ. But if you can (or anyone can) discern a coherent, consistent, convincing and clear Labour policy on Brexit 2106-19 then please capture and share. Because I simply couldn't no matter how hard I tried and how much I wanted to.
    • #91335
      Members Simster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Surrey
      Posts
      48,971


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Garry Nelson's teacher View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I think we might agree to differ. But if you can (or anyone can) discern a coherent, consistent, convincing and clear Labour policy on Brexit 2106-19 then please capture and share. Because I simply couldn't no matter how hard I tried and how much I wanted to.
      I have to agree with you. Labour were admittedly caught between a rock and a hard place where huge swathes of their heartland voted leave but the more liberal urban vote on which they depend are vehemently anti-Brexit. But I think their policy of sitting on the fence while the Tories made a complete mess of it went on for far too long. They needed to pick a side at some point. As a consequence, I no longer trust them and I suspect that follows for huge numbers on either side of the Brexit debate.

      I can't see anything other than a GE being called this side of January. Boris is a useless c*nt and it is apparent that he won't be proroguing parliament. If he even tries, there are enough Tories to vote for a motion of no confidence. If he doesn't, he'll be even worse than May as he is tries to deliver his promises that are not deliverable and a motion of no confidence will be called on him anyway.

      When that happens, the Brexit party will win huge numbers of seats and what happens with Brexit will be entirely dependent on whether the remain side actually co-operate effectively. Both Labour and Conservative will be decimated and deservedly so. At least it should spell the end of this FPTP voting system which is well past its sell by date.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.
    • #91336

      0 Not allowed!
      Tories gonna get in bed with Farage.

      “And we must give credit where credit is due. So I applaud Nigel Farage for walking away, calling Ukip ‘thugs and extremists’,” Javid said. “Even though his Brexit party has not made my life any easier, I want to be clear – they are not extremists.''
      https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-boris-johnson
      NEW SCHTUMMCAST. MORE VIBES AVAILABLE HERE >>>>>> http://soundcloud.com/schtumm/schtum...0-neal-schtumm
    • #91337
      Numpty Thunder Bolt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Beside the seaside, beside the sea
      Posts
      49,161


      0 Not allowed!
      The replies to this! As it stands, 29% of the votes are to ban it.

      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members. Mahatma Gandhi
    • #91338
      Members
      Join Date
      Sep 2011
      Location
      Plymouth
      Posts
      9,620


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Garry Nelson's teacher View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Great Panorama programme last night putting the last 3 years of turmoil into some sort of context. My 'takeaways' from this:

      - the govt had no clue how to deliver Brexit

      - May didn't consult the Cabinet when she launched into her 'no deal is better than a bad deal' routine (she tacked to the right to over-compensate for being a Remainer)

      - she was the DUP's puppet

      - the EU negotiators kept thinking that we had a cunning plan and couldn't quite believe it when we turned up without a clue; they outflanked our lot at every opportunity

      - David Davies was completely out of his league and really should have stayed in the pub (in every interview he seemed to find something to laugh at, other than his own lamentable performance)

      - interesting and significantly the whole programme managed to pass by without any mention of the Labour Party. I thought this was very fitting as in effect they went missing.


      Overall it was a relentlessly depressing picture of how the whole thing was carried out. (It ties in with the documentary on Boris Johnson the previous night when, in his morning-after-the night-before 'victory' speech after the Referendum, he appeared to be in shock. It was similar to the reports that Trump neither expected nor wanted to win the USA presidential election. Which helps to explain the the chaos that followed on both sides of the Atlantic.) This is policy-making undertaken in a style that can be described as 'back-of-a-beermat'.

      We are a total shambles of a country and (therefore) our next Prime Minister is a totally appropriate choice.
      The programme confirmed the main reason why I decided to vote remain.
      I knew that our Prime Minister, Ninisters, MPs and negotiators were incapable of handling Brexit, starting off with that clown Davies.
      Europe have had us for dinner and we are the laughing stock of Europe and the world.
      Even the pound is weak and getting weaker against the Euro.
      It's all been a total farce and it's time that the whole sorry episode is stopped in its tracks now.
    • #91339
      Members
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Location
      Deepest, darkest Sussex
      Posts
      3,775


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The replies to this! As it stands, 29% of the votes are to ban it.

      I literally said earlier today elsewhere that there are some people so zealot-ish about this that if you told them the EU had banned jumping off cliffs they'd be straight down Beachy Head. It's insane.

      Am I watching Brighton or Barcelona?
    • #91340
      Members Simster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Surrey
      Posts
      48,971


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by A1X View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It''s almost as if the fat tiresome Eton twąt hasn't bothered with trifling matters such as consulting experts before speaking to the public.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •