Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I was a reluctant remainer at the time of the referendum. Now, I'd happily adopt French as the national language, drive on the right and fire the entire UKIP membership into space.

the french are far more racist than the brits

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
He can be a little touchy, especally if you beat him at marathon running. Solid politics though.

On the marathon route it was only in Hove people shouted out knocky, written on my vest and showing in my face. Is it a Hove rather than Brighton word. I was born knocky and will remain so.

Can’t believe your pathetic effort beat my more pathetic effort by 20+ minutes

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was a very reluctant remainer and dragged myself out to vote. I then found myself supportive of May's fudge to try and heal the wounds. However I've gone full circle and now fully committed to remain or most probably voting for any party that is committed to take us back in.

I've tried to show empathy for those who voted leave but I've given up. I've never heard a rational argument particularly on here,

Leavers generally fall into three camps.

1) Those who are quite happy to suck up any populist nonsense without checking out the facts. Those who "know their place" and are fooled by the posh accent of Rees Mogg when even the Royal family don't speak like that.

2) The racist and the xenophobic. Hardly unique, but it's easy and lazy to blame the "other".

3) The dangerously intelligent who hide their personal agenda behind arguments of "sovereignty". These are the ones who hate any form of regulation, are quite happy to see the death of farming and manufacturing and import dubious goods from dubious regimes. They will universally benefit from Brexit and cynically try to persuade you that you will too.

My personal and paradoxical view of the EU is that it is undemocratic and in need of reform whilst protecting us from the excesses of our own system which is:

1) Far more undemocratic than the EU.
2) Far more bureaucratic. The EU employs 55,000 staff, the UK civil services employs 330,000.
2) Belongs to a different era.
3) Prone to populism from both left and right.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
the french are far more racist than the brits

That’s what the desperate folk at Sangatte often cite, even the french speaking non-Europeans, after encountering racism across France, Italy, Hungary. It’s why ethnic Africans live isolated in huge satellite suburbs on the outskirts of the big cities such as Paris. Demonstrated by the quite literally fascist National Rally party of Le Pen have had huge support for decades.

I hope the UK never goes down that route, but there are ominous signs.

Very interesting poll results, the media have always pumped out the idea there was a lot of voting remorse. Never thought it was true and this poll is yet more evidence.

Changes have happened. If you voted Leave, you are now less likely to want a compromise and instead want hard Brexit. If you voted Remain, you are also less likely to want a compromise but now full revocation of the referendum result.

After the referendum there was about a third of the country in between these two extreme points, and the Labour party aimed to represent them.

Now that space has dramatically shrunk to probably only about 10-20 per cent.

That we've become more polarised is very dangerous.

The extreme Remainers think they are winning because Brexit is being blocked. But Sunday's European election results will show a big backlash with the Brexit party winning easily. The big question is can this pro Brexit backlash be transferred into a General Election? Currently the polls aren't showing that with a comfortable lead for Labour, even tho they will be beaten in the euro elections

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm even more convinced Brexit is as shit an idea as it was three years ago. As I imagine most people are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here