Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Theresa May's red lines, which she won't budge on, have led to this deal being the only one available. For her to blame ANYONE else is a joke, frankly.
I agree that it's a joke for her to blame anyone else, as IMO the blame mostly lies with her. It is, however, ok for others to cast the blame wider than just her. She's mostly to blame, but few politicians have helped improve the situation.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So what would happen next given this sequence:

2016 referendum - Leave the EU - Yes/No? - YES
2019 referendum - Leave the EU on the known terms (May's deal) - Yes/No? - NO

As you, and others, seem to be suggesting that if the "People's Vote" returned a 'NO' then that's that - we're staying put.

There's an equally valid argument that the logical next step would be to renegotiate the terms and then do a referendum again.

Don't get me wrong, I voted remain and I still hold that view, but I just can't see a People's Vote as the solution to this if people think that if if returned a 'NO' then that means the end of the entire thing.

A People's vote is the only solution to the actual crapshoot that is Brexit. I mean, we all know this has been a terrible mistake and we need to reverse it, but that can't be done without a second referendum. What happens next will be another shitstorm and more upheaval, but we have to get through this point first....

... essentially though the leavers will eventually vote for May's deal, I don't really foresee any other conclusion to this with the current parliament

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
It doesn't really matter that the petition can be manipulated.

It's a petition. The point of petitions is to raise awareness and generate a debate. It's done that.

However it does matter when votes and/or voting systems can be manipulated either directly or indirectly.

TBH I don't care anymore.

I'm not interested in pointless arguments where the opposing argument is a bunch of debunked crap or some jingoistic nonsense or conspiracy theories or a limited understanding of how representative democracy works.

I want article 50 revoked, not because I think the EU is particularly awesome, but because Brexit is a crock of shit be it no deal or the current negotiated abomination.

There's so much ****ed up shit happening in our country right now that has been ignored due to this BS and if we leave the EU, we still won't be able to address it because of the cost of leaving.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
https://twitter.com/sapere_vivere/status/1109017814537564160?s=21
https://twitter.com/sapere_vivere/status/1109017814537564160?s=21
39646d5de4437660226eca0e349011e5.jpg

By legal default, on our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I bet he had fun setting up the distinct 33,000 different email addresses, and clicking the confirmation links in the 33,000 emails he received.

Still, each to their own, I guess.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I know it's a bit late for the remainers but .

b6f000343f-so-angry-i-could-vote_orig.jpg

WHAT DO WE WANT

WE DON'T KNOW

WHEN DO WE WANT IT

WHENEVER'S CONVENIENT PLEASE

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I'll be there :)

True - we did have a vote three years ago. The point of the "People's Vote" is that, now we know the deal on offer, we should be able to vote on SPECIFICS. To be objective about this, the reason we are in such a mess is that no-one really knew what Brexit meant in 2016. We now have a much clearer idea, and it seems only right to put the specific deal to the people. And if we vote for that deal, then Remainers (like me) should absolutely accept the result. My suspicion is that the real objections to a Peoples Vote come from those who realise Theresa May's deal is crap, and that a second referendum will expose that fact. According to the polls, only around a third of people support the PM's deal. Not a great mandate to force it on the country, is it?

Theresa May's deal is crap but the only vote should be leave or Remain. Seeing as we've already had that then we don't need another vote.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Let the killing begin. Convinced that's the only answer and we haven't had a civil war for centuries so how about one?

Jo Cox.
Anna Soubry cannot spend the weekend in her own home, this weekend due to death threats the police are taking seriously.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If there any evidence at all that these massive marches in London that seem to happen nearly every weekend (at least whenever I visit London, there seems to be a march on for some reason or another) have any influence at all on decision makers?

They don't make a blind bit of difference.
The only way that the ' powers to be ' will take any notice is if the people take action and hit them where it hurts. The trouble is in this country people are too meek and passive and terrified to step out of line. Keep your head down and conform. The French are more aggressive and regularly blockade. Drastic I know but it does make the authorities sit up and take notice.
If 100 people withheld their Council Tax, those people have a problem. Same if 1000 people do it. If 1,000,000 people did it, then the authorities have a massive problem. They couldn't send them all to prison and the cost of chasing that money would be astronomical. I know some will argue about cutting your nose off to spite your face i.e jeopardising local services but it would certainly make them sit up and take notice. Will all know it will never happen as it simply wouldn't garner enough support but you have to take extreme measures if you want to change anything.
Most of these marches are at weekends. If these people are so passionate, why don't they all take time off work and create economic mayhem in London, as opposed to when the capital is quiet. If a march brought London to a standstill, midweek, it would have far more publicity.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Just my opinion given in all honesty & trying to be level headed ......

The only future second vote that makes sense is a simple 2 choice vote ..... Remain or Leave with No Deal ....

asking if this deal or that deal would be acceptable will just divide opinion and votes and wont achieve anything .... it needs to be clean or not at all and work out any future arrangements after the event

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Sky News reporting that they have heard the Government is considering a 7 option vote for MPS, including a People’s vote , customs union, or revoking article 50.

Seems the petition may be working.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
They don't make a blind bit of difference.
The only way that the ' powers to be ' will take any notice is if the people take action and hit them where it hurts. The trouble is in this country people are too meek and passive and terrified to step out of line. Keep your head down and conform. The French are more aggressive and regularly blockade. Drastic I know but it does make the authorities sit up and take notice.
If 100 people withheld their Council Tax, those people have a problem. Same if 1000 people do it. If 1,000,000 people did it, then the authorities have a massive problem. They couldn't send them all to prison and the cost of chasing that money would be astronomical. I know some will argue about cutting your nose off to spite your face i.e jeopardising local services but it would certainly make them sit up and take notice. Will all know it will never happen as it simply wouldn't garner enough support but you have to take extreme measures if you want to change anything.
Most of these marches are at weekends. If these people are so passionate, why don't they all take time off work and create economic mayhem in London, as opposed to when the capital is quiet. If a march brought London to a standstill, midweek, it would have far more publicity.

That's the classic British way. I've come around to the idea of there being a second referendum as I said earlier, but will I be getting up in the morning and travelling to London to voice my views? No, that's for other people to do.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Just my opinion given in all honesty & trying to be level headed ......

The only future second vote that makes sense is a simple 2 choice vote ..... Remain or Leave with No Deal ....

asking if this deal or that deal would be acceptable will just divide opinion and votes and wont achieve anything .... it needs to be clean or not at all and work out any future arrangements after the event

I don't see how that would be fair - Remain would win that with a landslide. I don't think most Leavers really want a No Deal, or at least a large proportion of them don't, anyway.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sky News reporting that they have heard the Government is considering a 7 option vote for MPS, including a People’s vote , customs union, or revoking article 50.

Seems the petition may be working.

Aha, a "Choose your own adventure" Brexit. That's a new one.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I don't see how that would be fair - Remain would win that with a landslide. I don't think most Leavers really want a No Deal, or at least a large proportion of them don't, anyway.

As I said just my opinion .... not based on anything in particular apart from the MP's reflect the populous in that nothing has a clear majority and asking the people if they want Deal A or Deal B wont achieve anything just like parliament ...

in the end its going to be No Deal or Remain anyway but thats just my opinion from my observations

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here