Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm sure you're correct and that demand is hugely down across Europe, but as far as I can see, it's this seriously reduced demand that our Fish industry are unable to supply because of the new rules and regulations.

Certainly the fishing industry are saying that unless something is done immediately, there will be no fishing industry left to judge.

And, given that these rules and regulations that the industry say are crippling them are the ones that we, as a country signed up to 4 weeks ago, I really can't see a way out for the fishing industry. The negotiations are done, dusted and signed. I don't think the EU will be up for starting again on them :down:

They wont change the rules and nor should they.

Its not just the demand, its the potential of having repeat scenes of the testing hold up just before Christmas.

There was supply chain issues last year as well

I am sure some of it is down to Brexit, no doubt - but no harm in waiting till we are back to some normal.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A state subsidy to help Brexit victims is real the only option or some Brexiters could order some fish and do their bit to mitigate their damage.

Deadline for weekend delivery is tomorrow 9pm

https://loch-fyne-seafarms.myshopify.com/collections/all

And now he's throwing around more taxpayer's money to try and cover his latest completely obvious and foreseeable load of f*** ups :annoyed:

Fishing industry to be compensated for Brexit 'teething problems'

Boris Johnson has said that the fishing industry would be compensated for any problems caused by new post Brexit customs procedures.

Johnson, echoing comments he made last week, said that problems at the borders, which have seen some exporters unable to sell their catch, were “teething problems”. A fund of £23m will be made available to those firms which have suffered “through no fault of their own”.

His comments came as a number of lorries carrying shellfish parked in the roads around Downing Street yesterday afternoon in protest at the new rules. More than 20 lorries were reportedly involved, with some bearing slogans such as “Brexit carnage”.

https://www.cityam.com/load-of-pollocks-shellfish-exporters-protest-brexit-rules-outside-downing-street/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
They wont change the rules and nor should they.

Its not just the demand, its the potential of having repeat scenes of the testing hold up just before Christmas.

There was supply chain issues last year as well

I am sure some of it is down to Brexit, no doubt - but no harm in waiting till we are back to some normal.

I believe that there will be enormous harm done in the next few weeks, let alone the 6-9 months before we're back to any sort of normal, and it's not just Fish. UK exporters of all sizes and all sorts of products are being hit by the new regulations. If UK exporters can't deliver what is wanted by the EU they'll simply go elsewhere and once that business is gone, it won't be coming back

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. But when we are back to normal, I'll buy you a beer at the Amex and we can chat about it then :thumbsup:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I believe that there will be enormous harm done in the next few weeks, let alone the 6-9 months before we're back to any sort of normal. If UK exporters can't deliver what is wanted by the EU they'll simply go elsewhere and once that business is gone, it won't be coming back

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. But when we are back to normal, I'll buy you a beer at the Amex and we can chat about it then :thumbsup:

Have a good day sir.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I believe that there will be enormous harm done in the next few weeks, let alone the 6-9 months before we're back to any sort of normal, and it's not just Fish. UK exporters of all sizes and all sorts of products are being hit by the new regulations. If UK exporters can't deliver what is wanted by the EU they'll simply go elsewhere and once that business is gone, it won't be coming back

I read somewhere it's only bearable now because companies stockpiled, once the stockpiles have depleted it'll be armageddon.

Remember they promised we wouldn't run out of medicines?

[tweet]1351444777049460737[/tweet]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I read somewhere it's only bearable now because companies stockpiled, once the stockpiles have depleted it'll be armageddon.

Remember they promised we wouldn't run out of medicines?

[tweet]1351444777049460737[/tweet]

I think its important to remember one the reasons chaos has been partly avoided thus far is the light touch import border until July 1. Basically, waving stuff through expect controlled substances like Alcohol and Tobacco.

So much for taking back control

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think its important to remember one the reasons chaos has been partly avoided thus far is the light touch import border until July 1. Basically, waving stuff through expect controlled substances like Alcohol and Tobacco.

So much for taking back control

And don't forget there's further new Rules and regulations to come in on exporting to the EU from the end of March. The EU haven't started on these rules and regulations yet in order to give the UK time to adapt to the ones introduced 1st Jan.

If only somebody could have seen this coming :annoyed:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
And don't forget there's further new Rules and regulations to come in on exporting to the EU from the end of March. The EU haven't started on these rules and regulations yet in order to give the UK time to adapt to the ones introduced 1st Jan.

If only somebody could have seen this coming :annoyed:

But cheaper tampons, you couldn't make it up

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
But you already know the benefits GNt you even made a list yourself once. This pretending there aren't any benefits of leaving a large protectionist trade block with a desire for ongoing centralisation (more EU) and ever-closer political union or that no one ever mentioned them is just plain silly. I expect it of the vegetable and fruit section of the #teameucrew but you really have let yourself down there.

You have a good memory if a slightly selective one. So I recall I did try to conjure up some potential benefits of Brexit, but TBH it was a bit of a barrel-scraping exercise.

Even you would have to concede that good news Brexit stories are rather thin on the ground at the moment. (Mrs GNT has a blue passport now. Is that enough to start the ball rolling?)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I see the EPPG (the largest multinational grouping of MEPs in the EU parliament) are now pushing to stop passporting and equivalence being negotiated with the UK Financial Services sector in order to get as much of that market as possible into the EU.

EU needs masterplan to move financial business away from London

"One of the key strategic priorities in the years to come has to be strengthening the Capital Markets Union and moving the strategically important clearing business to the EU”, said EPP Group Spokesman in the European Parliament's Economic and Monetary Affairs Committee, Markus Ferber MEP, ahead of this week’s presentation by the European Commission of a plan to strengthen Europe’s economic and financial sovereignty.

"In light of Brexit, having a robust and powerful financial infrastructure is more important than ever. When it comes to the financing of the European economy, we must not be completely dependent on third countries”, Ferber stressed.

https://www.eppgroup.eu/newsroom/news/eu-needs-masterplan-to-move-financial-business-from-london

Strengthen Europe’s economic and financial sovereignty ? Bloody cheek :annoyed:

It's almost as if nobody has told them that they would fall apart as soon as we left :facepalm:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
[tweet]1351540416634630148[/tweet]

Pretty much what Leadsom and others of the Tory business elite wanted to do long before the vote, paying long term sick pay, paternity/maternity leave and working times inhibit the ability of people making money to make even more money .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here