Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
In fairness, it did provide him with a sort of prop to help him avoid answering the question.

Here is a question for you Lincoln Imp how will remainer's stop Brexit in its extreme form. Serious question, Spell it out step by step if you would. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Will you also point out David Camerons leaflet to every household at the same time?

Happily. That also didn't say we would leave without a deal being agreed first.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Will you also point out David Camerons leaflet to every household at the same time?
David Cameron didn't imagine that a bunch of powerful individuals would successfully flog a non-existent and unachievable version of Brexit to the public. Silly of him, but there's still time to put it right.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
David Cameron didn't imagine that a bunch of powerful individuals would successfully flog a non-existent and unachievable version of Brexit to the public. Silly of him, but there's still time to put it right.

It should also be pointed out (because some people apparently still don't get this) this was the official leaflet from HM Government. The wording was agreed at cabinet level, a cabinet which included a number of MPs who would go on to campaign for a Leave vote including future Vote Leave chairmen Boris Johnson and Michael Gove.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I saw this today, an excerpt from Hansard about Wigan after the IRA bombing.

How much money the city of Manchester has received from government funds to assist in the rebuilding of the city centre and the relocation of business following the Irish Republican Army bomb explosion in the city in June.

the Government gave £300,000 to the Lord Mayor's Appeal Fund for hardship relief and business relocation. They provided £150,000 towards the selection of an urban design team to plan the city centre rebuilding. Some £21.5 million has also been allocated from European funds to help with regeneration and business support and relocation.

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-...n5sDSz9yH3vEg0WPNN4xC9zM-UM8v-2DUQEufkPo42Kl0

I wonder why the mainstream media didn't publicise how much the EU had helped Wigan?

That hansard excerpt is about the restoration of Manchester city centre following the Manchester 96 bomb not Wigan.
As is clearly pointed out in the excerpt you provided, the EU £21.5 million allocation is British taxpayers money coming back to us that is conditional on an equivalent amount of money matching it from UK public and private sources.
Is giving our own money back to ourselves really something the mainstream media are interested in?
Manchester eventually received £583 million in private and public funding after the bombing.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The sun will rise in the east, set in the west and you will be spending far too much time on here being silly :thumbsup:

I believe to avoid the displeasure of the more ridiculous desperate remoaners, you would have been better saying, on Oct 31st, in the Brighton area, the sun will rise 21 degrees off due east and set 22 degrees off due west.(ie rise in the east and set in the west) The widely accepted generalisation of the sun rising in the east and setting in the west will I am afraid simply not please those on here who have been triggered after being made to look silly and who may be prone to excessive pedantry.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It should also be pointed out (because some people apparently still don't get this) this was the official leaflet from HM Government. The wording was agreed at cabinet level, a cabinet which included a number of MPs who would go on to campaign for a Leave vote including future Vote Leave chairmen Boris Johnson and Michael Gove.

The pamphlet wasn’t agreed at cabinet level, it was decided by a cabinet sub committee contained entirely of pro EU ministers, and the decision to publish was signed off by civil servant Jeremy Heywood not signed off by Cabinet.
Gove didn’t agree with it and said the pamphlet was one sided propaganda, Johnson didn’t agree with it and said it was a crazy waste of taxpayers money.
And Labour MP Gisela Stuart was chairman of Vote Leave not Johnson or Gove.
So apart from all that, well done for nothing, it’s must be a relief to all you have inaccurately "pointed out" what we “still dont get”.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Latest reports suggest as many as 30 Tory MPs will stand against the cliff edge of No Deal.

It only needs 3.

No Deal isn’t happening folks. Prepare for a new GE shortly after Boris is made PM - if he even gets confirmed at all. More fun and games.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
A thumbs up Blue instead of spelling it out on the thread. Forgive me, like the remain campaign as a whole, Pathetic!

Apologies if my agreeing with your assumption that I think a Boris led Government will fair no better In getting any new deal with the EU neither just crashing out of the EU get through Parliment and if that were the case then calling a general election is the only way forward and in that case I would support the party that put remain front and centre, there I have spelt it out!

D

Deleted member 22389

Apologies if my agreeing with your assumption that I think a Boris led Government will fair no better In getting any new deal with the EU neither just crashing out of the EU get through Parliment and if that were the case then calling a general election is the only way forward and in that case I would support the party that put remain front and centre, there I have spelt it out!

But we voted Leave. The result needs to be respected.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The result needs to be respected.

No it doesn’t. The referendum was advisory. This was made clear at the time. If it becomes clear - which it has - that Brexit is not in the public interest it is the MPs duty to stop it.

Also, “we” didn’t vote Leave. About 30% of the country did. Let’s not pretend it was a supermajority.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Latest reports suggest as many as 30 Tory MPs will stand against the cliff edge of No Deal.

It only needs 3.

No Deal isn’t happening folks. Prepare for a new GE shortly after Boris is made PM - if he even gets confirmed at all. More fun and games.

The house voted against a no-deal a few months ago. No PM should go against the house.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here