Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Everything is an opinion in this issue you fool, apart from the the fact that the UK electorate voted to leave the EU without any pre conditions. Dress it up any way you want, Parliament has blocked the will of the people for over three years, leave means leave.

From a firm remainer.

You may be a remainer. but you are in Australia, so it doesn't affect you.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
British courts can overrule the UK Government. We have separation of powers in the UK and Parliamentary Sovereignty. Courts cannot overrule laws made in Parliament, but can and frequently have told Government that it has acted against the law of the land. If the Government disagrees, it can appeal, or it can change the law through an act of parliament... if it can muster a majority... and hasn't prorogued parliament. Democracy seems to have eaten itself.

How is everybody enjoying the sunlit uplands?

I wonder what happens if the English courts rule the other way ( and I think their ruling is due Friday ) ? How does that work ?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I wonder what happens if the English courts rule the other way ( and I think their ruling is due Friday ) ? How does that work ?

Rock, paper, scissors. Best of 3.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A second referendum means leave voters would have to get a majority TWICE to get the result they wanted which makes their vote half the value of a remain vote, unless there is a third referendum?

There has already been two referedums. If we had another, that would be the third one.

Btw the latest polls are showing 54% Remain.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Everything is an opinion in this issue you fool, apart from the the fact that the UK electorate voted to leave the EU without any pre conditions. Dress it up any way you want, Parliament has blocked the will of the people for over three years, leave means leave.

From a firm remainer.
You are clearly not a firm remainer.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
So, it was a UK court, not a Scotch authority sheriff type thing?

As I understand it, they just brought the case in a Scottish Court because they could get it heard quickly there. The appeal judge's consideration would have been of UK Law, not law that applies only to Scotland and the UK Government is bound by it's decision, unless a further appeal to a higher court overrules. The highest court would be the UK Supreme Court. It's decision could only be changed by an act of Parliament.

The UK Parliament is sovereign, something that some Leave campaigners suggested was under grave threat when campaigning during the referendum. Recent events suggest that they may have been right, but failed to mention that the threat would come from them if it tried to stop them having their own way.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Hopefully you have family members who need life saving drugs.

As I do.

Let us know how yours get on after a No Deal eh? But presumably you don’t have anyone close at all. Shame

I really hope those crocodile tears drown you - slowly but surely

You really need to grow up, life will end for us all one day.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As I understand it, they just brought the case in a Scottish Court because they could get it heard quickly there. The appeal judge's consideration would have been of UK Law, not law that applies only to Scotland and the UK Government is bound by it's decision, unless a further appeal to a higher court overrules. The highest court would be the UK Supreme Court. It's decision could only be changed by an act of Parliament.

The UK Parliament is soveriegn, something that some Leave campaigners suggested was under grave threat when campaigning during the referendum. Recent events suggest that they may have been right, but failed to mention that the threat would come from them if it tried to stop them having their own way.

It went to a Scottish court because the English courts were in summer recess, and it could be heard more quickly.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
There has already been two referedums. If we had another, that would be the third one.

Btw the latest polls are showing 54% Remain.

Which is the exact percentage Comres had in their poll for remain between 17th and 22nd June 2016. In fact 95% of the pre-referendum polls in 2016 had remain ahead.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

I have a UK vote, I will have a UK pension, I may move back, I have friends and family in the UK, I have investments in the UK. Maybe I am more detached than most, but it does affect me.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I have a UK vote, I will have a UK pension, I may move back, I have friends and family in the UK, I have investments in the UK. Maybe I am more detached than most, but it does affect me.

If we were going to exclude your view based on your location then we'd need to exclude the views of HT and Dave.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to the news on Smooth Radio, 3 High Court Judges in England have already ruled that it is not a matter that comes under the jurisdiction of the courts. You wouldnt expect judges in Scotland to rule any other way in reality

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If the referendum was rerun tomorrow I would vote remain. No ifs, no buts, no maybes. But if it was rerun it would mean that democracy is worthless. Advisory or not, the result has stood for over three years, it should be respected. Not least just to end the uncertainty. You are Corbynesque in your view of democracy, only when it suits you.

I disagree it should be upheld but fair enough about voting remain again, I get what you're saying.
As for "only when it suits you", I respectfully say that is not the case. I firmly believe the referendum was built on a pack of lies, it wasn't binding at the time and it will trash the UK so should not be upheld.
But I respect your POV.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
According to the news on Smooth Radio, 3 High Court Judges in England have already rules that it is not a matter that comes under the jurisdiction of the courts. You wouldnt expect judges in Scotland to rule any other way in reality

Everyone is subject to the law, even politicians.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Easy for someone in Australia to wave away the *no deal* suffering and loss of life due to isotope shortages and lack of drugs with no shelf life maybe ? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here