Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
What do you think that would tell you?

You do realise that the uncertainty caused by the self-inflicted UK situation, affects our EU trading partners as well as ourselves?

Of course i do but all I see on here is UK doom and gloom merchants , we need some balance to the Grizzling , what do you reckon ?
Regards
DR

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The EU has 3 dominant countries, UK, France and Germany.Why is it that Leavers think we can't have any influence in the EU, because the French and the Germans are too powerful, but we are going to be getting the deals we want dealing with the US, China and India?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of course i do but all I see on here is UK doom and gloom merchants , we need some balance to the Grizzling , what do you reckon ?
Regards
DR

I reckon, that you've missed the point.

You countered the news of major UK job losses, by asking what the figures were in other EU countries. As if to suggest that if they were faring badly too, it was not as a result of Brexit.

My point is that this utter goat**** has damaged all of the economies of the trading bloc, and that similar shit employment figures on the continent are, in small part, BECAUSE of the UK actions, rather than evidence that you were right to want out.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The EU has 3 dominant countries, UK, France and Germany.Why is it that Leavers think we can't have any influence in the EU, because the French and the Germans are too powerful, but we are going to be getting the deals we want dealing with the US, China and India?

British exceptionalism. Still thinking we rule the waves.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Regards
DR

On a day when it was announced that ...

Wage growth in the UK reached an 11-year high in the year to June, and the employment rate was its joint highest since 1971, official figures show.

Wage growth rose to 3.9%, while the estimated 76.1% employment rate was the best since comparative records began.

Overall, a record high of 32.81 million people were in employment, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

This was 425,000 more than a year earlier and was largely because of more people working full-time.

It was inevitable that the #teameu Gloomsters were only ever going to mention ...

However, the unemployment rate in the April to June period showed a slight rise.

Just like when the economy shrank 0.2 last quarter was big news but the previous quarters much better than expected 0.5 growth was dismissed or not worth a mention. Or just like when a US trade bod from a past Democrat administration gave his opinion that we will get fleeced in a trade deal is significant while the positive views of the current US government are dismissed. Same old same old.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Be gentle with him, he's still reeling from the news that Germany/France are a dominant force within the EU. :lolol:

No, no, no - I won't have that - he believed someone said that France and Germany have overidden all the other members. I can only assume he has a special friend a bit like the one in Drop Dead Fred !

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

British exceptionalism. Still thinking we rule the waves.

Also the Franco-German dominance line plays on the occupation/oppression conspiracy theory narrative of The EU, particularly important in the case of the latter when World War 2 nostalgia and reference is still commonplace among some leavers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/othe...2-80-93-but-it-doesnt-quite-add-up/ar-AAFKkQX

A poll suggesting that the majority of Britons support suspending Parliament in order to force through a no-deal Brexit has been criticised for being misleading.

But Will Jennings, a politics professor at the University of Southampton, argued that the "utterly dire" questions in the survey could be considered highly leading.

The survey question was: "Do you agree or disagree with the following statements? Boris needs to deliver Brexit by any means, including suspending parliament if necessary, in order to prevent MPs from stopping it."

Prof Jennings noted that, not only does the survey informally - and somewhat strangely - refer to the Prime Minister simply as "Boris", but it does not note that some MP want to extend Article 50 rather than to block Brexit altogether.

Why is this dire? Aside from excluding "don't knows" and then misleadingly reporting as a percentage of 'the British public' ��, there is *way too much* going on in the survey question and it is leading as well ��https://t.co/bcxVyt5u8s

— Will Jennings (@drjennings) August 12, 2019
The suggestion that more than half of those asked believe the statement is correct is also misleading as the newspaper appears to have ignored almost 20 per cent who answered "don't know" to the question, and simply used the yes and no responses to create its results instead.

The ComRes poll actually showed that 44 per cent of respondents said they agreed with the statement, with 37 per cent saying they were against it and 19 per cent saying they don't know.

— Mike Smithson (@MSmithsonPB) August 12, 2019
Liberal Democrat blogger Mark Pack wrote a complaint to newspaper regulator Ipso claiming The Telegraph has manipulated the stats of the ComRes survey in the story published on its front page.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
However weirdly in that I am genuinely surprised:

'The shock survey found 54% of people agree that the Prime Minister'

Lie- the figure was 44%

Poll question was: 'Boris needs to deliver Brexit by any means, including suspending parliament if necessary, in order to prevent MPs from stopping it'

The question makes reference to MPs trying to stop BREXIT and not MPs trying to prevent 'no deal'. It is skewed in such away as to get full support from 'leavers' in the belief that by not halting parliament BREXIT will collapse.

Also-why is Johnson referred to as 'Boris' ?

So we have another example of why no newspaper, on either side, can be trusted to deliver a fair and accurate analysis.

Interestingly, a more accurately constructed poll in June maintained that there were 2-1 against a 'no deal' BREXIT. Not against BREXIT itself, just 'no deal'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Be gentle with him, he's still reeling from the news that Germany/France are a dominant force within the EU. :lolol:

The UK has 73 MEPs out of 750. That is almost a tenth of all the MEPs in the EU Parliament, made up of MEPs from 28 different countries. Only fools think the UK isn't a dominant force within the EU.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

They are a dominant force now ? What a bit like Britain, Italy, Spain, Poland and the Netherlands are all dominant forces within the EU ?

I thought yesterday someone said that they had an alliance that dominated the EU's future direction, prioritising an even closer union and their interests over other members ?

'More of the same' as in no idea what the future direction of the EU will take but certain it will be dominated by the Franco-German alliance prioritising the Eurozone and ever closer union over the interests of any second-tier members (see the UK).

You forgot to point out that the rest of the EU collectively, and lots of members individually have the power to stop any of this happening at any time. Even your buddy [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] had already pointed out Britain's veto on any closer union. The only problem is that he trusts the British government less than the EU :lolol:

I agree, as things stand, any changes would have to go to referendum but this act can be revoked by any government - lets say, heaven forbid, the Lib Dems managed to form a government in their own right ( unlikely I know ! ) - I wouldn't trust them not to revoke it. Equally, lets say one of these referendums was held - how can we trust a government to abide by it ?

Maybe you could just have a chat between you and agree what it is about Brexit you don't like before you start contradicting one another on here.

Or maybe just carry on ignoring any facts that get in the way of your 'Franco-German alliance taking over the EU' fantasy. (I'll file it alongside your 'the EU should take out the backstop' negotiated solution fantasy) :facepalm:

P.S.

No, no, no - I won't have that - he believed someone said that France and Germany have overidden all the other members. I can only assume he has a special friend a bit like the one in Drop Dead Fred !

Don't understand that at all, I'm assuming it's some sort of insult, but I'll see if my kids can explain it to me when they are next in :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Very true.

However, once we go 'no deal' we will hold all the aces and be able to DEMAND preferential future trade deals.

:ffsparr:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/othe...2-80-93-but-it-doesnt-quite-add-up/ar-AAFKkQX

A poll suggesting that the majority of Britons support suspending Parliament in order to force through a no-deal Brexit has been criticised for being misleading.

But Will Jennings, a politics professor at the University of Southampton, argued that the "utterly dire" questions in the survey could be considered highly leading.

The survey question was: "Do you agree or disagree with the following statements? Boris needs to deliver Brexit by any means, including suspending parliament if necessary, in order to prevent MPs from stopping it."

Prof Jennings noted that, not only does the survey informally - and somewhat strangely - refer to the Prime Minister simply as "Boris", but it does not note that some MP want to extend Article 50 rather than to block Brexit altogether.

Why is this dire? Aside from excluding "don't knows" and then misleadingly reporting as a percentage of 'the British public' ��, there is *way too much* going on in the survey question and it is leading as well ��https://t.co/bcxVyt5u8s

— Will Jennings (@drjennings) August 12, 2019
The suggestion that more than half of those asked believe the statement is correct is also misleading as the newspaper appears to have ignored almost 20 per cent who answered "don't know" to the question, and simply used the yes and no responses to create its results instead.

The ComRes poll actually showed that 44 per cent of respondents said they agreed with the statement, with 37 per cent saying they were against it and 19 per cent saying they don't know.

— Mike Smithson (@MSmithsonPB) August 12, 2019
Liberal Democrat blogger Mark Pack wrote a complaint to newspaper regulator Ipso claiming The Telegraph has manipulated the stats of the ComRes survey in the story published on its front page.

In addition of course, the question "Boris needs to deliver Brexit by any means, including suspending parliament if necessary, in order to prevent MPs from stopping it" is highly and probably intentionally ambivalent. People who agree with the statement aren't necessarily saying that it's a good thing. Even I'd agree with it.

Brexit press at its worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here