Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Perhaps the Borg Queen will go for a long walk over the weekend, and then try to call a General Election.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The odds on a second EU referendum before 2020 is slowly coming in. It was 4.5 on the machine about 2 weeks ago, currently at 3.15/3.35 and if May's deal doesn't go through I reckon it'll come in further.

The shift in Parliament suggested by the indicative votes has already been pretty huge. Just a week or so ago it was being dismissed out of hand as real pie-in-the-sky thinking by a large number of MPs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing personal, brother. It's just that the tone on this thread appears to be descending to new depths.

Yeah I know reflectively I find it disheartening, but in the moment that doesn't stop attempting to plunge deeper.

I did forget to quote Andy Zaltzman nailing Brexit in last weeks Bugle

[tweet]1111601241845624832[/tweet]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think that the WA will pass, just, with enough labour getting on board.

Either way it will be close this time!

Predictions atm are for it to fail by 102 votes. I can't see how it can pass.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Quite an unusual position I'd suggest. Can you summarise in a sentence or two the main reasons?

Simply because I believe in the political process, we had a vote, and should abide by that vote, without it we have nothing

A 2nd referendum goes totally against that.

On top of that if we did have a 2nd vote and it was remain... it would be bloody anarchy in this country. And not just in House of Commons...

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The idea of 'sheep', as you so comically used it would denote that it goes with the crowd; the majority.

As the 'majority' voted to Leave, wouldn't that make you the sheep?

Also, the elite are the ones that forced this. The Tories. But then, you're a clever guy and knew that, right?

Nah.The sheep are the ones blindly following the twitterati.Leavers are individualists,and don't need a nanny.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
From the march last weekend, sums up the last 3 years...

Capture.JPG

This terrible experiment has to end

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Simply because I believe in the political process, we had a vote, and should abide by that vote, without it we have nothing

We had a General Election in 2015 which was scheduled to run for five years. Yet we had another General Election in 2017. Or are some votes worth more than others?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Good to see things going well in the Commons, and a sense of good will and bonhomie breaking out on such a glorious Friday afternoon...

[TWEET]1111612822411268101[/TWEET]

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Dominic Raab says he's now backing the deal. :facepalm:

He really is going for the Tory leadership then as he's got no principles.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Dominic Raab says he's now backing the deal. :facepalm:

He really is going for the Tory leadership then as he's got no principles.

So he negotiated the deal, then decided it was inferior to remaining, and has now decided he will vote for it because it's better than remaining. All within the last 6 months.

But remember, you aren't allowed to change your mind from three years ago.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sounds like it's being made clear to Brexiteer MPs that it is May's Deal today or No Brexit.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
My prediction FWIW:

The WA will pass today, as self-interest on the part of duplicitous far-right Tories, and corruption and bribery on the part of the DUP, edge it over the line. May will bow out, feted as a martyr by the press despite all her abject failures.

BigGully, 2Profs, JCFC, and most especially Bakerlite will be all over it celebrating 'WINNING' a toothless net-loss Brexit that they've all denounced repeatedly as the worst of all outcomes.

:tantrum: Denounced repeatedly?Have you been sniffing your chemicals?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
It's going to happen today. Which is a real shame. Our government couldn't pour piss from a shoe if the instructions were on sole.

I shall look forward to telling you all, "I told you so" in a few years time.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I don't understand how people who are vehemently opposed to the EU on the basis that it means we have ceded sovereignty (incorrectly IMO), can vote for / be happy with this deal.

This will almost certainly mean that we genuinely do end up cededing sovereignty, or at the very least the threat of that happening will prevent a positive outcome.

Take back control we already have by giving it away.

:mad:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sounds like it's being made clear to Brexiteer MPs that it is May's Deal today or No Brexit.

The other day I got (rightly) chastised for glibly suggesting the UN will soon be sending in PeaceKeepers to monitor the elections, as they would in some backwater republic (that had oil).

It was pointed out that wouldn't happen as we're not in a dictatorship. :shrug:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
We had a General Election in 2015 which was scheduled to run for five years. Yet we had another General Election in 2017. Or are some votes worth more than others?

Were both results of those elections enacted? Obviously they are... Vote to leave = keep asking the question until you get the right answer, Vote Remain = game over.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here