Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Maybe Dave should learn what words mean then - he said 'every', even typed it in caps to highlight it, hardly the same as 'some'.

Maybe you should learn to read more carefully?

He said 'EVERY leaver talks of the EU, not of immigration'. Ergo - He didn't suggest that EVERY leaver voted on immigration grounds - only that NONE were prepared to accept that they did.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I said at the time of the EU vote...Why is anyone believing the bullshit of a pair of idiots like Farage and Johnson? Fast foward a few years and we have one of the complete cretins trying to force us to leave Europe with no deal in place. What's become clear over the last few years is that privileged toffs should not be allowed anywhere near government. How entitled BJ must feel to think he can shut down our elected representatives in Parliament in an attempt to force his will on the country. Well the rule of LAW has hit back to shut that cretin down for now. Why any regular, working person would want to follow an entitled Old Etonian like Johnson is beyond belief. He represents only the elite, corporations and the rich

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If the referendum was rerun tomorrow I would vote remain. No ifs, no buts, no maybes. But if it was rerun it would mean that democracy is worthless. Advisory or not, the result has stood for over three years, it should be respected. Not least just to end the uncertainty. You are Corbynesque in your view of democracy, only when it suits you.
I have sympathy with this.

However, if a second referendum does happen you can blame the hardline Brexiteers for it - they could easily have negotiated a palatable Brexit rather than pretending that a paper-thin leave win meant either "no-deal" or "leave, regardless of consequence". Simply opting for a EFTA-like arrangement where we stayed inside the customs union (to keep the GFA intact), paid for access to the single market but didn't have to chip into the ludicrous CAP/fisheries policies would arguably have been better than what we have now.

The Tories put in their own red lines that made a sensible deal impossible and are now carrying along a rump of pro Brexit people in blaming everybody else. No wonder the UK is now largely pro-remain.

Jan 30, 2008
I don’t think you can really keep pulling the “firm remainer” card. You are clearly now a leaver. Reluctantly maybe but you’re no remainer anymore.

Never mind at least he's being honest what you'd hate to admit is that he isn't the only remainer with the same outlook , you keep being deluded about people's feelings ,Keep up the bravado though and get ready for Brexit
Regards
DF

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Could be it has something to do with recent European history. When the members of a large multi national trading block have been participants in the last hundred years or so,in the 2 most destructive wars in human history, it might be a good idea to bind them to something bigger than self interest and nationalism. It appears to be working, so far,

I totally agree with your view what price could we put on peace

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Turn the emotion off, we are in a shit storm that needs level headed leaders, not millennial whiners. Yes there will be victims of Brexit, some exist already. Newspapers with blood on their hands? Do grow up. The issue needs ending, decisively. From a voter and future pensioner of the UK, and a firm remainer. Leave means leave.

Millennial Whiners. Lol

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I assume sweet FA, how can Scotch courts override the UK government?

British courts can overrule the UK Government. We have separation of powers in the UK and Parliamentary Sovereignty. Courts cannot overrule laws made in Parliament, but can and frequently have told Government that it has acted against the law of the land. If the Government disagrees, it can appeal, or it can change the law through an act of parliament... if it can muster a majority... and hasn't prorogued parliament. Democracy seems to have eaten itself.

How is everybody enjoying the sunlit uplands?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Turn the emotion off, we are in a shit storm that needs level headed leaders, not millennial whiners. Yes there will be victims of Brexit, some exist already. Newspapers with blood on their hands? Do grow up. The issue needs ending, decisively. From a voter and future pensioner of the UK, and a firm remainer. Leave means leave.

I know Leave means Leave. But not at the cost of people dying because of it
FFS

Love
Millennial Whiner

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
British courts can overrule the UK Government. We have separation of powers in the UK and Parliamentary Sovereignty. Courts cannot overrule laws made in Parliament, but can and frequently have told Government that it has acted against the law of the land. If the Government disagrees, it can appeal, or it can change the law through an act of parliament... if it can muster a majority... and hasn't prorogued parliament. Democracy seems to have eaten itself.

How is everybody enjoying the sunlit uplands?

So, it was a UK court, not a Scotch authority sheriff type thing?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I think the phrase "have personally caused you anxiety, financial, physical, emotional harm" is slightly dramatic. For me, it's the move to a super state ( and that is the aim ) that is the issue. I've mentioned it before - here in the UK we've moved democratic accountability closer to the people - devolved government ( NI excepted at the moment ) and mayors in many places. Even councils are being bestowed extra powers gradually. An EU super state takes that in completely an opposite direction. I believe power should be with the people and for the people ( and I'm right wing …. ish …. before you start accusing me of being a communist ). I accept our system isn't perfect - for starters the House of Lords but the EU adds another layer. A layer the person in the street has barely any say in - say I don't agree with the actions of the Council of Europe for example, how do I remove any member from it ? Answer, I can't. The published aim of the EU is ever greater political and fiscal union - fine if that's what they want to do but I don't think that is in the best interests of the UK nor indeed the voters of the UK.

Wrong as you often are. This thread is nearly 2500 pages long. I now challenge you to provide one single post in all those pages that even implies I voted leave because of immigration ? You won't be able to because I have NEVER said immigration was my reason for voting leave ….. not once.

Im sure one or two didnt.. I also never said everybody did. Calm down. If you believe it WAS directed at you, then possibly, your protest is...interesting.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I know Leave means Leave. But not at the cost of people dying because of it
FFS

Love
Millennial Whiner

People will die either way, it is a consequence of life. Crocodile tears are really unflattering.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Never mind at least he's being honest what you'd hate to admit is that he isn't the only remainer with the same outlook , you keep being deluded about people's feelings ,Keep up the bravado though and get ready for Brexit
Regards
DF

The statement that all leavers are not racists neo Nazi fascists however all racists neo Nazi fascists voted leave and its this that sits in the pit of my stomach to the point that as a remain voter who reluctantly accepted the result I can not stand with anyone who is a racist neo Nazi and this is my dilemma how can I support somthing that is fundimentaly a magnet to those I see as evil.

In my quest to understand what motivated people to vote leave your nasty views don't help

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
But not if it means no deal. We will be fecked. Try and look at the facts

Everything is an opinion in this issue you fool, apart from the the fact that the UK electorate voted to leave the EU without any pre conditions. Dress it up any way you want, Parliament has blocked the will of the people for over three years, leave means leave.

From a firm remainer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
On court ruling prorogation unlawful,
@JolyonMaugham
tells me he believes Parliament is now NOT suspended owing in part to this ruling and also because the Government failed to make an application in court to re-suspend today.

Excellent.

Just need a couple of dozen sensible types to pop down there, get Bercow to agree to a vote on revoking A50, and this should all be sorted by tea-time :thumbsup:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
People will die either way, it is a consequence of life. Crocodile tears are really unflattering.

Hopefully you have family members who need life saving drugs.

As I do.

Let us know how yours get on after a No Deal eh? But presumably you don’t have anyone close at all. Shame

I really hope those crocodile tears drown you - slowly but surely

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
On court ruling prorogation unlawful,
@JolyonMaugham
tells me he believes Parliament is now NOT suspended owing in part to this ruling and also because the Government failed to make an application in court to re-suspend today.

You just couldn’t make it up. You really couldn’t

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here