Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The EU have been more than happy to discuss a trade deal but want the ACTUAL most important bits (the Good Friday Agreement, money owed, citizens rights) agreed first. The transition period after the exit date was then when the trade deal was to be discussed. But it is worth noting that a trade deal takes roughly ten years to negotiate and complete.

You are getting mixed up with the timeframe suggested by Mr Obama for a UK/US trade deal.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/07/how-long-do-trade-deals-take-after-brexit/

The reality is that neither you nor I know how long it would take. Presenting conjecture as fact though is a constant feature of this debate. As to negotiating on what is important I would say a trade deal should have been the priority three years ago and the Tory Remainer Government were well aware of this. They knew exactly what they were doing in bringing us to where we are now.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm sure you do but let's face it you couldn't accept the referendum result .,I dont for one minute believe this country's going down the pan but You're entitled to your opinions on that
Regards
DR

Correct. I don't accept the result.

I don't accept that it was a truly fair and free vote, played out without illegal funding, or third-party interference.

Nor do I accept that the votes to leave (following a Vote Leave campaign, declaring that we would only leave 'in a stable manner with an agreed deal in place') come close to legitimising the type of exit that the current leadership seems set on.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
So if you found yourself with difficulty breathing and having severe chest pains, would you call an ambulance or say "**** the experts, I'll ask my neighbour what he thinks"?

No, but if I was given a terminal diagnosis and then another doctor said 'wait up shingle, its not as bad as that I know a surgeon in Bournemouth that can cure you', I'd go with 2nd doc. Do you see what I'm getting at.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No, but if I was given a terminal diagnosis and then another doctor said 'wait up shingle, its not as bad as that I know a surgeon in Bournemouth that can cure you', I'd go with 2nd doc. Do you see what I'm getting at.

So you prefer blind faith over expertise?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Except that the accurate analogy would be, that he knows a faith healer that can cure you.

But only if you truly believe.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You are getting mixed up with the timeframe suggested by Mr Obama for a UK/US trade deal.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/07/how-long-do-trade-deals-take-after-brexit/

The reality is that neither you nor I know how long it would take. Presenting conjecture as fact though is a constant feature of this debate. As to negotiating on what is important I would say a trade deal should have been the priority three years ago and the Tory Remainer Government were well aware of this. They knew exactly what they were doing in bringing us to where we are now.

CETA (the EU's trade deal with Canada which most Brexiters claim to want to emulate) took 7 years to negotiate and 3 years to ratify in both Canada and the EU Parliaments.

Incidentally, how were the previous Government (by which I assume you mean May's) in any way "Remainer" when they spent their entire time negotiating a deal which would have seen us leave the EU and wanted Parliament to vote in favour of leaving on 29th March 2019? If it were a Remainer Government it would never have served notice of intention to leave.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Fact or conjecture?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
CETA (the EU's trade deal with Canada which most Brexiters claim to want to emulate) took 7 years to negotiate and 3 years to ratify in both Canada and the EU Parliaments.

Incidentally, how were the previous Government (by which I assume you mean May's) in any way "Remainer" when they spent their entire time negotiating a deal which would have seen us leave the EU and wanted Parliament to vote in favour of leaving on 29th March 2019? If it were a Remainer Government it would never have served notice of intention to leave.

The attached research from the World Economic Forum says 32 months from launch date of negotiations to implementation for Canada.
We will have to agree to differ on the intentions of the previous Government led by Remain voters Theresa May and Philip Hammond. They could hardly have ignored the result of the Referendum. Much better to negotiate on the wrong things and give the appearance that leaving the EU is just too difficult.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

This man has lots in common with our Boris, balls, big ones, and isnt scared of the cliff face................

He survived to fight another day.

Come on remoaners cheer and get your chutes on.

We're on our way.........

https://youtu.be/Fk4w0c1fuWI

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
This man has lots in common with our Boris, balls, big ones, and isnt scared of the cliff face................

51251637_2103668006357636_7671298257695277056_o.jpg

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018

Good to see you chuckling away to our countries potential catastrophic, economic meltdown.

Jan 30, 2008
Correct. I don't accept the result.

I don't accept that it was a truly fair and free vote, played out without illegal funding, or third-party interference.

Nor do I accept that the votes to leave (following a Vote Leave campaign, declaring that we would only leave 'in a stable manner with an agreed deal in place') come close to legitimising the type of exit that the current leadership seems set on.
You're entitled to your thoughts but as I said earlier I expect my vote to be upheld not devalued
Regards
DR

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

As someone who has an incurable illness my response would be to quiz Dr 2 in great detail about the evidence base for the proposed treatment and do a lot of background research. If it was flimsy and he/she started going on about having faith I would tell them where to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here