Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
If you were honest about yourself i'd cut you some slack but you're coming across time and time a gain as a pompous know it all , so sorry you haven't got it in you to accept a democratic result but there you go you can't have everything your own way in life despite what you believe :wave:
regards
DR

I'll take your criticism as a badge of honour and every time I see ill-thought out, badly constructed and poorly expressed comments on this thread, I'll think of you......

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
If you were honest about yourself i'd cut you some slack but you're coming across time and time a gain as a pompous know it all , so sorry you haven't got it in you to accept a democratic result but there you go you can't have everything your own way in life despite what you believe :wave:
regards
DR

Let's face it, from your viewpoint it must be nigh on impossible for anyone not to come across as a know it all :dunce:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
There has been a 30% rejection rate. If your Mum hasn't had any problems then you've been lucky. I posted a few weeks ago, that a French friend married to a British man, no children, employment, tax and NI records all intact has been told there is a problem.
The Home Office messed up the Windrush generation and are messing up the EU Settled status also.

Where are you getting your 30% rejection rate figures from for EU nationals on the settled status scheme.
The only figures of the home office scheme I saw were home office figures published in May this year
That home office report said 600,000 had applied and from the 3 initial tests 230,000 had applied. 95% of those 230,000 had been processed and
“ 0 applications were refused status under the scheme”.
69% of application were granted settled status
31% of applications were granted pre-settled status.

The next batch of data from the home office is due out some time in august according to that report

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ement-scheme-public-beta-testing-phase-report

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
regards
DR

So if there's something you don't like, but you have a platform to voice your concerns, you wouldn't take the opportunity? If that's the case, then you're a bit wet.

There's a difference between arguing something and not accepting. I accept that we will leave (in some form) come November 1st, but it doesn't mean that any concerns can't be voiced and we should all just fall in line. If you do think that, then you're wayyy more whipped than you think you are.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Where are you getting your 30% rejection rate figures from for EU nationals on the settled status scheme.
The only figures of the home office scheme I saw were home office figures published in May this year
That home office report said 600,000 had applied and from the 3 initial tests 230,000 had applied. 95% of those 230,000 had been processed and
“ 0 applications were refused status under the scheme”.
69% of application were granted settled status
31% of applications were granted pre-settled status.

The next batch of data from the home office is due out some time in august according to that report

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ement-scheme-public-beta-testing-phase-report

There are three million EU citizens working here, who were told they had until Dec 2021 to register, but Pritti Patel has changed that to October 31st this year. The system cannot cope, as your figures show just a few thousand are getting processed.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There are three million EU citizens working here, who were told they had until Dec 2021 to register, but Pritti Patel has changed that to October 31st this year. The system cannot cope, as your figures show just a few thousand are getting processed.

I don't think that is the intention, but it is hard to see how someone can prove they have the rights of employment or housing until they get their paperwork in order. The intention is that no arrivals after exit day will be able to apply for pre-settled status, whereas this was going to run to the end of the withdrawal period, if we leave with the transitional arrangements. Those who are already here should be ok, but how will a new employer know the difference? How will an existing employer know that their employee will pass the application process?
I still think no deal is not going to happen, and all planning and moves are just for show, but it is not fun for the front seat passengers in this game of chicken.

D

Deleted member 22389

Free movement quite rightly ends on October 31st, because that's what the country voted for. Anyone arriving in this country after that date will need to follow the new rules I presume. Anyone who arrived before October 31st has until Dec 2021 to apply for settled status. EU citizens who have been here a good number of years should of got their settled status sorted out months ago, there are really no excuses here.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

I see, so your answer is you don’t know where you got your figure from of 30% of EU nationals applying for pre and settled status have been rejected, so you thought you would deflect onto something else……….i can hazard a guess where you got the figure of 30% from
You clearly have a problem with figures if you think those figures in the report are just a few thousand.
Oh and by the way there are not 3 million EU citizens working here. There are those here who are economically inactive, those who are family members, those who are jobseekers etc.

May 2016 There were an estimated 2.15 million EU nationals working in the UK Labour Market
May 2019 There were an estimated 2.38 million EU nationals working in the UK Labour Market.

Source ONS
https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentan...letins/uklabourmarket/previousReleases&page=1

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I still think no deal is not going to happen, and all planning and moves are just for show, but it is not fun for the front seat passengers in this game of chicken.

hope you're right, trouble is i cant see how Johnson backs up unless he has something to show as a change. does he really come back and just ask for another vote on the current WA, expecting ERG to step in line? or enough from Labour to get there (the party line would certainly be to vote against). the option of delay seems least likely unless there is a meaningful purpose. no deal seems increasingly likely.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
hope you're right, trouble is i cant see how Johnson backs up unless he has something to show as a change. does he really come back and just ask for another vote on the current WA, expecting ERG to step in line? or enough from Labour to get there (the party line would certainly be to vote against). the option of delay seems least likely unless there is a meaningful purpose. no deal seems increasingly likely.

I don't believe 'no deal' will happen. Apart from the complete lack of preparation, infrastructure, staffing etc which I may have mentioned once or twice :wink: that means it couldn't work operationally, it would put the Tories out of power for generations and Johnson would go down as the worst Prime Minister in history. The panic and mayhem would, I suspect, have us back in the EU on worse terms, within 6 months if not sooner.

As each day goes by, it becomes more obvious that if 'no deal' isn't exactly 'project fear', it's pretty bloody close :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I do find the fact that the three amigos, [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION], [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] are now lined up fair and square alongside [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] backing Johnson and his 'no deal' a little amusing.

They have gradually been forced into a position none of them wanted to be in, because it has become clear that the 'good deal' that they were sold by the Leave campaign, doesn't and has never existed, and the simple choice has been between Customs Union (or Vassal State !) or 'No deal' and an Irish border all along. (Who could have seen that coming ???)

As I said, that is a little amusing, but what is f***ing hilarious is that the dribbling moron Ppf hasn't changed his position in the last 3 years, but they have all changed theirs to align with him. Maybe they could have saved themselves a lot of time, typing and embarrassment if they had just listened to his erudite case for 'no deal' from the very beginning :laugh:

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

A point made on the Today programme was that while the forces against no deal appear to be divided (and divided in all sorts of ways), the maniacs (OK, my word for them) who are gripping the steering wheel towards the cliff edge seem to be pretty much united. This is bad news indeed. It's almost as if the Sensibles are kind of assuming that with each passing day, and the accumulation of evidence that No Deal = Total Disaster, that the Nutters will simply see how delusional they are and do a U-turn before that cliff-edge. It ain't going to happen.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't believe 'no deal' will happen. Apart from the complete lack of preparation, infrastructure, staffing etc which I may have mentioned once or twice :wink: that means it couldn't work operationally, it would put the Tories out of power for generations and Johnson would go down as the worst Prime Minister in history. The panic and mayhem would, I suspect, have us back in the EU on worse terms, within 6 months if not sooner.

As each day goes by, it becomes more obvious that if 'no deal' isn't exactly 'project fear', it's pretty bloody close :)

you are too lightly dismissing the possibility the PM and associates think enough is/can be done in time, that it isn't just bluff and they will go through with it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
you are too lightly dismissing the possibility the PM and associates think enough is/can be done in time, that it isn't just bluff and they will go through with it.

I don't think I am. They would have seen the reports from all areas and the detail now. They know it can't be done in 71 days.

Johnson's best bet now will be the vote of no confidence. 'I was going to do it, but THEY stopped me'

*edit*
The only problem with this is that we will continue to get the same people whining that it isn't what they voted for and that it is 'project fear' and we should believe more :rolleyes:

To tell the truth, part of me just thinks F*** it, let's go no deal. I'm retired and it won't effect me much. Although both my kids are working, I believe they will survive it (in fact, one of them has benefited hugely in Business as a direct result of this whole Brexit farce already :blush:), and a lot of Leave voters would deserve it. However, I know that millions who don't deserve it would suffer, so I can't really wish for 'no deal'.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I see that Ian Holloway says that the EU is to blame for the handball rule and we need to have Brexit to get rid of it.

There you go; people wanted to know the advantages of Brexit, that's a big one :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I see that Ian Holloway says that the EU is to blame for the handball rule and we need to have Brexit to get rid of it.

There you go; people wanted to know the advantages of Brexit, that's a big one :lolol:

Yep, the silly man doesn't know the difference between UEFA and the EU.

[tweet]1164094105481297920[/tweet]

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

I disagree.

Johnson knows it would be the end of the Tories if he DOESN'T deliver Brexit (see Euro Elections)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here