Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I know some pretty high flyers in the food trade and plans have been in place for a long time. They have covered all contingencies for any disruption to the supply chain and are ready. There will be no panic buying unless you are the sort of idiot who thought joining the Euro was an economic necessity and that the global computer system would crash when we reached 2000.

That's good to know. Personally I know of people from a deprived coastal town, as happened elsewhere in the country, who dialed '999' and asked for Sussex Police because KFC was shut due to logistical supply problems, but as you come across as a real cool guy who knows where it's all at, I'll bow to your judgement on this one.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Will the nation 'come together again"? It will be interesting to see what Boris can do to achieve that.

I very much doubt it. A nation divided as badly as we have been for the last 40 years, cannot be healed by just sorting out Brexit. The result of the referendum showed where the problem was, it didn't create it. The self-satisfied, comfortable, southern based middle class, pretty happy with their lot and the less happy, more economically deprived, Midlands and North. Their industrial heartland largely gone and with it, their community spirit. A generalisation I know but it is at the heart of it.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
That's good to know. Personally I know of people from a deprived coastal town, as happened elsewhere in the country, who dialed '999' and asked for Sussex Police because KFC was shut due to logistical supply problems, but as you come across as a real cool guy who knows where it's all at, I'll bow to your judgement on this one.

Lets wait and see. Nothing is guaranteed but I will be hugely surprised if our supermarkets are anything less than fully stocked come Oct 31st / Dec 31st / Mar 31st / Some further time in the future / Never. If I'm wrong, sales of frozen food will go through the roof.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I know some pretty high flyers in the food trade and plans have been in place for a long time. They have covered all contingencies for any disruption to the supply chain and are ready. There will be no panic buying unless you are the sort of idiot who thought joining the Euro was an economic necessity and that the global computer system would crash when we reached 2000.

I assume that Tim Rycroft COO of the Food and Drink Federation isn't one of your high flyers
https://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Article/2019/07/19/No-deal-Brexit-poses-serious-threat-to-food-availability-report?utm_source=copyright&utm_medium=OnSite&utm_campaign=copyright

Or Mike Coupe, chief exec of Sainsburys
https://www.ft.com/content/b3a2a29a-9d57-11e9-9c06-a4640c9feebb

Or Roger Burnley CEO of Asda
https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/07/as-bad-as-it-gets-grocery-giants-warn-on-brexit-no-deal/

Sainsburys, Tesco and Asda CEOs
https://www.sustainweb.org/news/jul19_rotting_christmas_dinner/

Or the Chief Execs of Sainsbury’s, Asda, Marks & Spencer, the Co-op and Waitrose
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/28/no-deal-brexit-price-rises-retailers-sainsburys-asda-ms-coop

Couldn't be arsed looking beyond 5 of the first 6 results for the last couple of weeks on Google. Maybe your high flyers who are saying there will be no disruption are further down the results list :facepalm:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Lets wait and see. Nothing is guaranteed but I will be hugely surprised if our supermarkets are anything less than fully stocked come Oct 31st / Dec 31st / Mar 31st / Some further time in the future / Never. If I'm wrong, sales of frozen food will go through the roof.

The entire premiership of Blair, 1997-2007, is looked at through distorted, tinted glasses, primarily by broflakes and gammons - you know - mass immigration was all a secret Labour Party plot, Bear Stearns and the global financial crisis was all a Labour Party policy, the Iraq War, which despite 70% of the UK population supported at the time of the invasion, was actually opposed by everybody and they only reluctantly agreed with it because of a dossier they didn't read etc - anyway, the only time in that 10 years that the utterly wretched excuse of the opposition - otherwise known as The Conservative and Unionist Party - was ever ahead in the polls was during the fuel strikes in 2000. Panic buying ensued at the shops if you remember. Personally I quite liked it because I commuted on the Hastings to Charing Cross line at the time and the trains became much more busier, which meant upper class, Range Rover driving *****r commuters from Wadhurst, who think it's socially acceptable to read The Daily Telegraph on public transport, became, just for a short, brief wonderful while - a distinct and very deserved minority. They knew it too. (There used to be a big poster/sign by Frant station at the time for the 'Countryside Alliance' ie fox hunters. Next stop up from Wadhurst that is. Whoever the landowner was, they'd obviously not invented internet dating properly at the time, so he obviously couldn't try and get a girlfriend as he preferred watching Canidae rip apart Canidae on his farm.)

Anyway, my point is there has not been mass disorder in this country since 2011. It's overdue, in my opinion. It should have happened after Grenfell. It didn't. No deal disruption - I think it will. People are not going to put up with their lives being disrupted and some fat, Old Etonian, English ****head saying 'Tally ho! We came through Singapore in '42, we'll survive this as well because it's all jolly good fun and Johnny Foreigner is to blame, what, what, what.'

I may have been blessed to have been born and lived in good old Sussex by the sea, in a deprived coastal town that everyone else across Sussex envy's because we're home to England footballers, Sussex cricket captains, world champion darts players and people who can qualify for the world snooker championship, which would be physically impossible if you came from Henfield for example. but my entire family is from the Midlands and the North. My late maternal grandmother is Cumbrian - I don't need to meet Glenn Murray to know an exciting night of reckless abandonment for him and Mrs Murray is putting the central heating on for an extra hour. If there was a newsagent, or P-word as my late Grandfather called them, (everybody born in 1914 was racist) selling Regal cigarettes 5 pence cheaper than the shop down the road, I know full well that Mr & Mrs Murray would drive there to make their tobacco purchase, if they smoked - I know what I what I'm talking about here.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is turning into be careful what you vote for...looks like a government led by Boris and the likes of pritti Patel and Dominic rahb angling for cabinet posts as well a Rees Mog. ....and experienced ministers quitting. Wonder how long the home sec will last...he was very outspoken about the working class hero Boris

Interesting times.

Anyway not to worry, trump will ride in to rescue us with a huge free trade deal....so long as we open up the nhs to us companies and accept their rules.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
He was the MP reinstated to win the vote in the commons

I remember 'Call me Charlie' was so convincing on BBC South East Today ages back when he denied all the charges. He said he had no idea what the investigation related to. They might be incestuous inbreds from Kent, but I do hope the good people of a fellow south coast town in Dover start a recall petition for their MP. Public school Tories I'm afraid - you can't trust them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Anyway not to worry, trump will ride in to rescue us with a huge free trade deal....so long as we open up the nhs to us companies and accept their rules.

what are these rules everyone is quite worried about?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I only blame the ones that protect the repugent posts. The ones who ban posters for reporting those posts. That sort of thing. The others are probably unaware.

Good grief .... go on then, quote these so called 'repugnant' posts ?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
El pres runs the account PPf (allegedly) with the same sign off DR than you find “offensive”

Those being racist by using the term Gammon decide they are not being racist at all.
Racists apparently determine if they are being racist or not. Clearly the level of offence is determined by those dishing it out.

well if you have to ask because you dont really know and can only imagine the reason why, ......why dont you ask the source for clarification instead of guessing

we-should-improve-society-somewhat-yet-you-participate-in-society-33580499.png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why do you continually ignore reports about the Nazi slogans and vile posts and allow that poster to continue posting? Maybe you can answer it in public because **** all happens through the official channels. The report function is a farce.

Dodging the question and posting your own (nonsense) one again then.

If you don't like the letter D and the letter R then don't log on. Or use a keyboard. Or recite the alphabet. God help you if you ever end up in a meeting with someone called Simon Shaw and his initials get minuted as SS.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I very much doubt it. A nation divided as badly as we have been for the last 40 years, cannot be healed by just sorting out Brexit. The result of the referendum showed where the problem was, it didn't create it. The self-satisfied, comfortable, southern based middle class, pretty happy with their lot and the less happy, more economically deprived, Midlands and North. Their industrial heartland largely gone and with it, their community spirit. A generalisation I know but it is at the heart of it.

Careful with your narrative here; it's a bit more nuanced than you (would like to?) believe. Of the UK 'regions' only Greater London, NI and Scotland voted to remain. In the north and Midlands cities such Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and Leicester all voted to remain. There are all sorts of variables to analyse the results (gender, age, education and occupation as well as location) but I'm not sure I've seen one which convincingly explain matters in terms of 'self-satisfaction'. But then of course I'm writing this from 'self-satisfied', comfortable Worthing...……..which voted to Leave.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Couldn't be arsed looking beyond 5 of the first 6 results for the last couple of weeks on Google. Maybe your high flyers who are saying there will be no disruption are further down the results list :facepalm:

Personally I can't wait to find out which branch of Lidl his high-powered source is the checkout manager at.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Leicester voted to remain.

My 2 cousins, who are basically the same age as me give or take a couple of years, were both born in Leicester. As were 3 of my grandparents. Despite my cousins coming from a politically correct gone mad, multi cultural hell hole, full of Muslims and brown people that was once a proud English, self respecting county town, I don't know what shocks me more - the fact they both voted remain in 2016, or the fact neither of them have felt the need to join the English Defence League. I'm pleased my older brother is closer to them than I am - they're obviously weirdos as well as treacherous remoaners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here