Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yep, there is a blanket assumption that "old people" (sorry for the generalisation) universally voted leave. However I spoken to a couple of people who REMEMBER the war who whilst being very conservative in a number of ways voted remain because of the war..

I'll check out the LSE research, because it's what I suspected all along.

The irony of citing WWII for populist "leave EU" means isn't lost on anyone with either half a brain cell of those who witnessed it.

I wish my Grandmother was still alive, she visited Germany before the war but during the rise of Hitler. She witnessed unbelievable things, a Jewish women beaten up in front of her in a restaurant and turned down a visit to a Nazi rally.

I'd love to talk to her now.

If you Google the research, you'll probably find it. It came about because researchers had the same gut feeling that you did - that there was a big difference between the 60-79 and the 80+ age groups.

My mum (nearly 90) voted Remain precisely because she remembered the war.

Yoda

English & European
Disruption is a good thing in life without a bit of disruption we would melt, we will become more efficient in the future and more together as a nation, but remainers have to let go and accept that we do not need the EU to hold our hand while crossing the road as we are big boys, girls and non binaries now, in fact, the 5th strongest economy in the world.

Yes, and widely predicted to drop to 7th before the end of this year below France, and India.

https://ceoworld.biz/2018/12/28/gdp-rankings-of-the-worlds-largest-economies-2019/

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yes, and widely predicted to drop to 7th before the end of this year below France, and India.

https://ceoworld.biz/2018/12/28/gdp-rankings-of-the-worlds-largest-economies-2019/

India you say, maybe once we are below them we can stop sending them aid?

The UK is to hand over £98m to India despite the country - which has spent almost the same on a lunar probe - now giving out more foreign aid than it receives. As part of the UK's aid budget, the Department for International Development (DfID) will give £52m this year and a further £46m in 2019/20.

birthofanorange

NSC Patreon
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
India you say, maybe once we are below them we can stop sending them aid?

The UK is to hand over £98m to India despite the country - which has spent almost the same on a lunar probe - now giving out more foreign aid than it receives. As part of the UK's aid budget, the Department for International Development (DfID) will give £52m this year and a further £46m in 2019/20.

And? You are a bitter little person, aren't you?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Certainly, two-faced and definitely undemocratic. Once called for an in-out EU referendum in parliament, criticises Cameron for doing just that,...

... calls for a second referendum then says she wouldn't accept the result if we voted leave again.

Extremist undemocratic zealots.

Emperor Verhofstadt going with his world order with a EU Empire spiel again at the Liberal Undemocrats conference. Listen to how the zealots lap it up.
So much for remaining in so that the EU can be reformed.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Emperor Verhofstadt going with his world order with a EU Empire spiel again at the Liberal Undemocrats conference. Listen to how the zealots lap it up.
So much for remaining in so that the EU can be reformed.

Verhofstatdt is very clearly correct. It's a world of Unions and Empires. He's not advocating an Empire and nor does he use that word to refer to the EU. He says we must be a union to compete together and look after our interests in such a world. And you know that's what he's saying. You'd have to be thick or disingenuous to state otherwise. You 're a lot of things but I don't think you're thick. Don't be a vessel for false news.

To be fair Swinson has some very questionable political history. More like a Tory. But Lib Dems are the first party to grow a pair and come out in defence of democracy and the best interests of UK citizens. They'll be getting my vote.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Verhofstatdt is very clearly correct. It's a world of Unions and Empires. He's not advocating an Empire and nor does he use that word to refer to the EU. He says we must be a union to compete together and look after our interests in such a world. And you know that's what he's saying. You'd have to be thick or disingenuous to state otherwise. You 're a lot of things but I don't think you're thick. Don't be a vessel for false news.

To be fair Swinson has some very questionable political history. More like a Tory. But Lib Dems are the first party to grow a pair and come out in defence of democracy and the best interests of UK citizens. They'll be getting my vote.

Do behave.
He is repeating the same old empire stuff he has been banging on about for ages.
Its ridiculous for you to pretend you have never heard him spout it.

"The same with defence. Let's create a European defence union, let's take on our responsibilities... Let's become an empire, an empire of the good and not of the bad."
Guy Verhofstatdt

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/guy-verho...good-opposition-donald-trumps-america-1593862

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do behave.
He is repeating the same old empire stuff he has been banging on about for ages.
Its ridiculous for you to pretend you have never heard him spout it.

"The same with defence. Let's create a European defence union, let's take on our responsibilities... Let's become an empire, an empire of the good and not of the bad."
Guy Verhofstatdt

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/guy-verho...good-opposition-donald-trumps-america-1593862

His use of the word Empire may well upset you but he is spot on. We need to be in a multi territory union to both work with and compete with the major players in the world. It’s run perfectly democratically and only sinister to those who don’t understand global issues.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
But Piers also voted remain, so he is being true to himself and being democratic.

The issue here is some people are scared, perhaps they have forgotten about their fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers who were probably a bit scared too, but I tell you what not one of them would have been scared about Brexit.

They were survivors, we have gone soft and need to toughen up and adapt and look at the bigger picture and future.
So many are just scared about the here and now as they sit watching sky sport, Netflicks and twitting everyone rather than engaging face to face.
Disruption is a good thing in life without a bit of disruption we would melt, we will become more efficient in the future and more together as a nation, but remainers have to let go and accept that we do not need the EU to hold our hand while crossing the road as we are big boys, girls and non binaries now, in fact, the 5th strongest economy in the world.

a, who would not " go soft" after ten years of austerity for the many.

b, 5th biggest economy ? where does all the money go then ? certainly not on education, roads, health , transport... I could go on.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
T.May decided to totally ignore half the referendum voters and it has been 3 years of disaster because of it.

It seems the Lib Dems have learnt nothing from this and decided to ignore half the referendum voters.

Winner takes all - totally vanquishing half of the electorate - does not work.

Now, what happens when we need to next change a European Treaty ?

.... we have to have a referendum on it by law. So all the pain starts up again.

We need to leave - but only with an EFTA + EEA access deal.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Lib Dems have obviously rattled the more extreme Brexit supporters......

Not in the slighest. The Lib Dems have as much chance of forming the next government as I have to be selected to play this weekend for the Albion and waking up Sunday morning with Kelly Brook in my bed. They would have a whiff of chance at being part of a coalition but of course they've already said they won't do that ...... but this is the Lib Dems we're talking about who are a well known bunch of liars.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not in the slighest. The Lib Dems have as much chance of forming the next government as I have to be selected to play this weekend for the Albion and waking up Sunday morning with Kelly Brook in my bed. They would have a whiff of chance at being part of a coalition but of course they've already said they won't do that ...... but this is the Lib Dems we're talking about who are a well known bunch of liars.

I think we can all agree that all of the major UK political parties are invested with liers.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
T.May decided to totally ignore half the referendum voters and it has been 3 years of disaster because of it.

It seems the Lib Dems have learnt nothing from this and decided to ignore half the referendum voters.

Winner takes all - totally vanquishing half of the electorate - does not work.

Now, what happens when we need to next change a European Treaty ?

.... we have to have a referendum on it by law. So all the pain starts up again.

We need to leave - but only with an EFTA + EEA access deal.

The Lib Dems will only revoke if they got a majority, that I'm sure most agree that is highly unlikely. That is a mandate to revoke

Its a simple choice if you want to keep your European Citizenship, vote Lib Dem.

If you don't care and you still think life is better on the other side, don't....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think we can all agree that all of the major UK political parties are invested with liers.

I'm sure 'invested' is just a slip of the keyboard but an appropriate one none the less.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here