Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
...and back to more Brexit news.....

https://www.ft.com/content/7655203f-dae8-42af-b854-5221c0eac559

Music industry decries first 100 days of Brexit as a ‘disaster’
Research shows 94 per cent of respondents had been negatively affected by deal with the EU

The first 100 days of the post-Brexit era has been a “disaster” for the British music industry and the government has made almost no progress in addressing problems raised by visas, customs and other controls, a wide-ranging new survey of the industry has found.*

The research by the Incorporated Society of Musicians, the body that represents the UK’s professional musicians, tour operators and manufacturers, found that 94 per cent of respondents had been negatively affected by the UK’s post-Brexit trade deal with the EU.

Less than one in 10 music businesses said government guidance was “adequate” in helping to navigate the new obstacles the deal had imposed on the industry, including so-called “cabotage” restrictions on touring vehicles and expensive “carnets” that touring musicians now needed in order to import equipment into the EU.

“We have clear evidence that the first 100 days of the Brexit Trade Deal have been a disaster for music businesses,” said Deborah Annetts, chief executive of the Incorporated Society of Musicians. She urged the government to do more to help the industry.

In March, Boris Johnson told MPs that he shared the frustrations of a sector worth more than £5bn a year to the UK economy and promised to “fix it.”

Jake Bright, a freelance musician, spent £1,500 on a visa in case his contract in France was extended. It was rejected as it was not for a firm commitment but he now needs to extend his stay and has to fly back to the UK to start the process all over again.

But the ISM said the survey was clear evidence the industry had “not witnessed any real progress” to deliver on the prime minister’s pledge.

Last week, Oliver Dowden, the culture secretary, admitted under questioning from MPs that bilateral negotiations with individual EU member states to find ways to ease restrictions for touring musicians and other parts of the industry had yet to begin.*

Under the terms of the trade deal, British musicians who were previously free to travel and work in the bloc must now navigate a complex web of 27 different EU migration systems and visa requirements.

Dowden told MPs that some form of visa-free touring would be allowed in 17 member states, including France and Germany. But he said, other countries had specific requirements for non-EU performers, such as Portugal which required them to undergo criminal record checks. In Spain, each musician must a pay fees of €600 per person, per night to perform, which has already led to the cancellation of tours.

The government said it had always been clear that the end of freedom of movement “would have implications for professional mobility” and it was important to check each EU member state rules before travelling.

Jake Bright, a freelance composer and music director currently working in France, said the UK government guidance had been close to “non-existent” and had been referred to EU consulates for most issues.

Bright said he had spent £1,500 on visa advisers in order to obtain a visa in case his current contract required him to stay beyond the 90 days in every 180 days that the French rules allow him to work visa-free. But the “just in case” application was rejected on the grounds that it was not for a firm commitment.

He blamed the wasted money on a lack of clear information. “I’m now faced with a situation where if I’m needed for longer, I need to fly home and apply again, a process that could take a month. That’s not tenable,” he added.

Other chronic issues facing musicians include the need for a £360 carnet to temporarily import equipment into the EU, including a deposit of 30 to 40 per cent of the value of all the tour equipment, from instruments to stages and sounds equipment.

For big touring companies, the ISM said, this could create “huge additional costs” that would render tours unviable. More than 40 per cent of members surveyed said the carnets would have a “negative” or “very negative” impact on their businesses.

Tarrant Anderson, a director at Vans for Bands, the UK’s largest passenger transport company for the music industry that works with some of the biggest names in rock, told the ISM survey that many grass root acts “would be unable to afford the additional costs” of the carnets.

As well as customs and border delays, the other major hurdle for the touring industry was so-called “cabotage” restrictions, which now limit the number of stops and countries a UK-registered truck can make after crossing into the EU.

Some 85 per cent of respondents to the ISM survey that operate tours in the EU, said the cabotage limits would cause “moderate” or “severe disruption” for their business.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So five months in, what are we down to ? The last dregs of the Brexiteers now giving up any pretence of having anything whatsoever to say about Brexit, good bad or indifferent :shrug:

We have one straight back from a ban for trolling, onto this thread immediately to show those ******** with a post that has nothing to do with Brexit. When someone points that out, he spends the whole rest of his day trolling on a thread that he has no interest in. Even after someone has apparently helpfully told him not to troll if he doesn't want to get banned again :dunce: Look, I can include pictures of words too :wink:
wzg.jpg

We have one of the longest serving Brexiteers making claims about things he thinks were said and how they haven't happened, but when asked about solutions to any of the issues that actually HAVE happened as a result of Brexit, runs away :dunce:

And then another who can't seem to link to any story that has anything to do with Brexit, but now thinks that on top of the greatest act of economic self harm ever, we should all give up going on holidays to Europe as 'that will show them' :dunce:
I will take your advice onboard and keep clear of the fly holes you mentioned,thanks for the tip [emoji1303][emoji636]
My friend, if you are going to drive around Yorkshire shitting into a bucket for two weeks avoiding the fly holes may not be as straightforward as you think :lolol:

Who knew it would come to this ???

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And, one more time, back on topic of how to publish a story that is actually about Brexit :rolleyes:

Boris Johnson’s Brexit trade deal risking political stability in Northern Ireland, says minister

Boris Johnson’s Brexit minister has issued a veiled threat that the UK is ready to walk away from key elements of its Northern Ireland border agreement with the EU unless Brussels gives ground in talks.David Frost admitted that Mr Johnson’s post-Brexit trade deal has disrupted deliveries of goods to Northern Ireland from mainland Britain and put political stability in the province at risk.

Writing in the Mail on Sunday, he acknowledged that Downing Street failed to anticipate the additional paperwork and checks which would result from the deal, which he negotiated and which Mr Johnson signed and pushed through parliament with minimal scrutiny in December.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/boris-johnsons-brexit-trade-deal-risking-political-stability-in-northern-ireland-says-minister/ar-BB1gMRe6?ocid=mailsignout

The two men men with prime responsibity for negotiating the Brexit deal admits that they totally f***ed up (amongst a whole load of other things) probably the single most important part of the deal. I can imagine Irish Unionists must be boiling over with rage, don't you think JCFG ? :shootself

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
So five months in, what are we down to ? The last dregs of the Brexiteers now giving up any pretence of having anything whatsoever to say about Brexit, good bad or indifferent :shrug:

We have one straight back from a ban for trolling, onto this thread immediately to show those ******** with a post that has nothing to do with Brexit. When someone points that out, he spends the whole rest of his day trolling on a thread that he has no interest in. Even after someone has apparently helpfully told him not to troll if he doesn't want to get banned again :dunce: Look, I can include pictures of words too :wink:
View attachment 136791

We have one of the longest serving Brexiteers making claims about things he thinks were said and how they haven't happened, but when asked about solutions to any of the issues that actually HAVE happened as a result of Brexit, runs away :dunce:

And then another who can't seem to link to any story that has anything to do with Brexit, but now thinks that on top of the greatest act of economic self harm ever, we should all give up going on holidays to Europe as 'that will show them' :dunce: My friend, if you are going to drive around Yorkshire shitting into a bucket for two weeks avoiding the fly holes may not be as straightforward as you think :lolol:

Who knew it would come to this ???[/QUOTE I clicked on Tapatalk last week to quote you, and and ended up in your profile where it tells me what thread or part of board you are.

It said Watford Zero is looking at emojis!!!

Is that what this place has come too?

Middle aged men looking at silly emojis?

Quite literally

2c5823ec8af68295df2bbfe0eadbf0ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And in latest news,

We now have the current Brexit Government claiming that they themselves were so incompetent they didn't understand what they were doing when proposing, negotiating and signing up to the Northern Ireland protocol, while the previous Brexit Government claims that they are lying and that knew what they were signing up to all along :dunce:

Lord Barnwell, Chief of Staff to Theresa May

[Tweet]1401805490183606272[/Tweet]

All fairly meaningless as it's all in the past, but for Britain going forward, the one thing that is clear is that the Northern Ireland Protocol proposed, negotiated and signed off by Johnson and Frost is completely unimplementable. (Something at least, that the current and previous governments appear to be in agreement about).

Any suggestions :shrug:

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ris-johnson-and-his-team-of-brexit-fantasists

England’s football clubs may be of Champions League quality, but the current political debacle reveals our politicians are not

It turns out that throughout the Brexit discussions with the British government, the EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, was keeping a diary. That he managed to do this at the end of days of usually frustrating talks says something for Barnier’s staying power. And to judge from speculation about the next French presidential election, he intends to stay around for some time.

His diary has been published in France. Surprise, surprise: with one or two exceptions, the British side does not come too well out of what our football commentators would call “the Frenchman’s” reflections.

From the moment our first secretary for Brexit, my old friend David Davis, turned up in Brussels armed with a few pieces of paper, and faced Barnier’s heavily prepared team, carrying volumes of material, the die was cast: the EU had the upper hand and, for all we know, Davis’s negotiating paper could have been a copy of the Times crossword.

It has been abundantly clear ever since that, unlike Chelsea and Manchester City, the British team representing Theresa May and then one Boris Johnson were never in the Champions League. As for Lord Frost, I think he ranks way below my team, AFC Wimbledon.

Brexit done? Like hell has it been done. Brexit is unravelling all over the place. British fishing crews are being told at Calais that they can keep the fish over which they have regained control, as the blockades go up. Commentators are saying, now that we have “regained control”, that we need more immigrants to fill the gaps in the labour force of the construction and hospitality sectors.

The fact that complaints about immigration were among the factors contributing to the Brexit vote is neither here nor there. The Cummings/Johnson/Gove campaign was always a nonsense; but, alas, it turned out that, to paraphrase Abraham Lincoln, you could fool some of the people some of the time.

The 'bureaucracy of Brussels' was largely a myth. Now we do have bureaucratic delays to normal business, as a direct consequence of Brexit
The zealots who fooled far too many of the people did not even understand the consequences of their great “victory”.

While our elected representatives fool around negotiating trade deals that are but a pale shadow of what we used to enjoy in the EU, our exports to the continent have taken a dive, and the normal flow of imports continues to be seriously disrupted. The “bureaucracy of Brussels” was largely a myth. Now we do have bureaucratic delays to normal business, as a direct consequence of Brexit.

Talking of bureaucratic delays brings me to another book on our relations with the rest of Europe, by the London-based French journalist Tristan de Bourbon-Parme. Like Philip Stephens in Britain Alone – which I recommended recently – the author covers UK relations with our neighbours since 1945, culminating – or reaching a nadir – in Brexit.

However, to please his publishers, De Bourbon-Parme had to get our dreaded prime minister into his title: Boris Johnson, Un Européen Contrarié. The English version is Boris Johnson – a Frustrated European, the author’s view being that Johnson is a “cultural European” but can’t stand the EU. (By the way, they can be forgiven for not standing him.)

Which brings us to yet another triumph of the time-wasting bureaucracy of Brexit. Whereas Barnier’s book almost certainly presents a partial view of the Brexit negotiations, De Bourbon-Parme has conducted extensive interviews with both sides. But we cannot read it yet: the consignment sent to the UK has been held up at Customs and Excise for the past three months. That’s taking control for you.

An obvious area of interest for De Bourbon-Parme is the debacle over Northern Ireland. He believes a fundamental error was for the negotiators to concentrate too much on the concerns of the republicans, and not enough on those of the unionists. The resulting chaos is far from being resolved; but, as the EU’s ambassador to the UK, João Vale de Almeida, has pointed out, the fundamental problem is not the much-discussed protocol, but Brexit itself.

In lying his way through the Northern Ireland “deal”, Johnson should have paid more attention to Sir Walter Scott’s great line: “Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive.”

Which brings me to a famous dictum from another Scottish author. Amid the speculation about another independence referendum, I wonder whether, in their hearts of hearts, Nicola Sturgeon and her colleagues worry about the words of Robert Louis Stevenson.

The situation is that the UK is suffering economic harm from Brexit. Scotland, it appears, is a lot more “European” than England. But, as the Institute for Fiscal Studies points out, by leaving the UK to rejoin the EU Scotland would also suffer economic harm. Is this a case where, as Stevenson wrote, “to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive?”

you won me with your opening sentence......third grade , hillbilly , retards .

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
And in latest news,

We now have the current Brexit Government claiming that they themselves were so incompetent they didn't understand what they were doing when proposing, negotiating and signing up to the Northern Ireland protocol, while the previous Brexit Government claims that they are lying and that knew what they were signing up to all along :dunce:

Lord Barnwell, Chief of Staff to Theresa May

[Tweet]1401805490183606272[/Tweet]

All fairly meaningless as it's all in the past, but for Britain going forward, the one thing that is clear is that the Northern Ireland Protocol proposed, negotiated and signed off by Johnson and Frost is completely unimplementable. (Something at least, that the current and previous governments appear to be in agreement about).

Any suggestions :shrug:

I'm sure Uncle Joe is gonna have a few things to say about the situation at the G7 summit.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm sure Uncle Joe is gonna have a few things to say about the situation at the G7 summit.

Sooner or later reality was always going to catch up with Johnson's lies, that day is approaching fast there's no where to hide

Without Trump he is a lonely child in a room of grown ups

Last edited:

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Thank you for posting this; tragically it's all unravelling but it was predictable.

Entirely agree. 944,000 miles to Australia seems a little on the high side tho.

Also should probably have put brackets around the Germany/France numbers on the list of top economies, as presumably those are included in EU?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Absolutely disgusting that the EU expect us to honour a deal that we made almost 6 months ago. Flaming cheek !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I see that Uncle Joe is not happy that we still have no suggestions for an 'alternative' to the Northern Ireland Protocol that was so well researched, proposed, negotiated, agreed and supported by the Brexit Government and it's supporters, before they did their U-Turn and claimed they didn't understand what they were doing and are now incapable of implementing it :dunce:

Boris Johnson, prime minister

What he said then: “It ensures for those living and working alongside the border that there will be no visible or practical changes to their lives: they can carry on as before.”

What he says now: “If it looks as though the EU is going to be very dogmatic about it and we continue to [be in an] absurd situation so you can’t bring in rose bushes with British soil into Northern Ireland, you can’t bring British sausages into Northern Ireland, then frankly I’m going to, we’ll have to take further steps.”

Iain Duncan Smith, former Tory leader

What he said then: “If there is anything about this arrangement [the withdrawal agreement bill] that we have not now debated, thrashed to death, I would love to know what it is.”

What he says now: “The reality is that the protocol is simply not working. These are not teething problems. We have already seen companies that normally ship to Northern Ireland now saying publicly that they will not bother to do so any more if it is too difficult. We are also seeing diversion: some supermarkets and others are talking about depots in southern Ireland rather than in mainland GB.”

Ranil Jayawardena, trade minister

What he said then: “We will be an independent United Kingdom – and this is a fundamental point – because, unlike the last withdrawal agreement, this deal will mean that Northern Ireland will remain in the UK’s customs territory, so it will not be for foreign powers to decide the future of any part of our country. This new deal that Boris has achieved – against all the odds – will bring an end to the uncertainty and division.”

What he says now: “It is wrong that anyone should be threatening the British sausage. We will stand up for the British sausage and no one will ever be able to destroy it.”

If only someone had highlighted the issue 5 years ago, then the whole of the Brexit gang would have had time to put their collective minds together and come up with a workable solution
meg.jpg

There were only ever three options

1/ Hard Border between NI and Ireland
2/ Hard Border between NI and rest of Britain and NI operates under EU rules.
3/ No Hard Border and GB operates under EU rules.

It's not about abandoning Brexit, It's about implementing it

....... Oh :facepalm:

Still, what is done is done. We now need to unite and move the country forward and I'm sure someone on NSC is capable of suggesting an alternative, rather than just making a fool of themselves with some idiotic post ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I see that Uncle Joe is not happy that we still have no suggestions for an 'alternative' to the Northern Ireland Protocol that was so well researched, proposed, negotiated, agreed and supported by the Brexit Government and it's supporters, before they did their U-Turn and claimed they didn't understand what they were doing and are now incapable of implementing it :dunce:

Boris Johnson, prime minister

What he said then: “It ensures for those living and working alongside the border that there will be no visible or practical changes to their lives: they can carry on as before.”

What he says now: “If it looks as though the EU is going to be very dogmatic about it and we continue to [be in an] absurd situation so you can’t bring in rose bushes with British soil into Northern Ireland, you can’t bring British sausages into Northern Ireland, then frankly I’m going to, we’ll have to take further steps.”

Iain Duncan Smith, former Tory leader

What he said then: “If there is anything about this arrangement [the withdrawal agreement bill] that we have not now debated, thrashed to death, I would love to know what it is.”

What he says now: “The reality is that the protocol is simply not working. These are not teething problems. We have already seen companies that normally ship to Northern Ireland now saying publicly that they will not bother to do so any more if it is too difficult. We are also seeing diversion: some supermarkets and others are talking about depots in southern Ireland rather than in mainland GB.”

Ranil Jayawardena, trade minister

What he said then: “We will be an independent United Kingdom – and this is a fundamental point – because, unlike the last withdrawal agreement, this deal will mean that Northern Ireland will remain in the UK’s customs territory, so it will not be for foreign powers to decide the future of any part of our country. This new deal that Boris has achieved – against all the odds – will bring an end to the uncertainty and division.”

What he says now: “It is wrong that anyone should be threatening the British sausage. We will stand up for the British sausage and no one will ever be able to destroy it.”

If only someone had highlighted the issue 5 years ago, then the whole of the Brexit gang would have had time to put their collective minds together and come up with a workable solution
View attachment 137568

....... Oh :facepalm:

Still, what is done is done. We now need to unite and move the country forward and I'm sure someone on NSC is capable of suggesting an alternative, rather than just making a fool of themselves with some idiotic post ???

Only real solution is to agree to align with EU standards and regulations. However, there will be an awful lot of people crying and saying " That's not my Brexit... I want the one with Global groundbreaking trade deals, Blue Passports and Unicorns..."

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Only real solution is to agree to align with EU standards and regulations. However, there will be an awful lot of people crying and saying " That's not my Brexit... I want the one with Global groundbreaking trade deals, Blue Passports and Unicorns..."

I really can't see an alternative solution that doesn't entail taking more rules from the EU :shrug:

Meanwhile you have the current Johnson Government claiming the NI Protocol problems are down to their own incompetence while the previous May Government are claiming they did understand it was unimplementable but just lied about it in order to 'Get Brexit Done'.

Brexit: UK government knew NI Protocol 'was a bad deal'

Theresa May's former chief of staff is "pretty sure it's not true" that the government underestimated the impact of the NI Protocol when it agreed to it.

Brexit Minister Lord Frost wrote at the weekend that the UK had "underestimated the effect of the protocol on goods movements to Northern Ireland". But Lord Barwell said Boris Johnson's government "knew it was a bad deal". They "agreed it to get Brexit done", he argued.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57382239

The simple fact is that Johnson's Government is incapable of implementing the Brexit deal they negotiated and no amount of waffle and bullshit is going 'to get this done'. It needs a solution.

So what is the answer ? We now need to unite and move the country forward and I'm sure someone on NSC is capable of suggesting an alternative, rather than just making a fool of themselves with some idiotic post ???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To be fair the pre-referendum marketing for Brexit was very clear that "no one is even talking about leaving the single market".

Even Farage couldn't get enough of waxing lyrical about Norway's status outside the EU and it's relationship with the EU.

Gove talked glowingly of a free trade area between Iceland and the border of Russia which we would be part of.

So... yes the above was the Brexit on offer, subsequently betrayed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here