Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry, who says they are the incorrect ones? You?

The lightbulb manufacturers themselves have said that the bulb in your basket will make your room 6% dingier. Before you picked them off the shelf they were saying that the very same bulb will only make your room brighter and more glorious.

BTW this thread has improved so much since the lightbulb analogy came into force.

Well done all!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Because the learned and trusted seekers of democracy and justice MPs voted that they would (by 6 : 1) adhere to the result. I trust them to deliver what they promise, or where does that leave us?

This was (a) pre-election and (b) in a previous Parliament. You're going to have to come up with a better reason than that I'm afraid.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
This was (a) pre-election and (b) in a previous Parliament. You're going to have to come up with a better reason than that I'm afraid.

So, just so that I understand:

Forgetting the legal side, since Parliament changed then the promise and vote of the MPs to enact the referendum result means jack?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the majority of MP stood on manifestos to follow the outcome, so the line of reason seems sound. upto the MPs to resolve.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
y

Do you know my light fittings? My preferences for wattage?

Question unanswered again. Can't fault the consistency.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
y

Do you know my light fittings? My preferences for wattage?

You nearly said yes, didn't you, and then changed your mind. It's a pity you left the y there as evidence.

:wink:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The lightbulb manufacturers themselves have said that the bulb in your basket will make your room 6% dingier. Before you picked them off the shelf they were saying that the very same bulb will only make your room brighter and more glorious.

BTW this thread has improved so much since the lightbulb analogy came into force.

Well done all!

You could almost say it is a light bulb moment.

Btw did you know that BG didn't like the EU because of lightbulbs?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Have they? Please give examples of this, and please don't say Ireland or Greece.

So you ask for examples but then exclude two perfect of the examples the [MENTION=21502]Razzoo[/MENTION] could give ? :facepalm: How very EU of you !!!!! OK, Denmark 1992.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So you ask for examples but then exclude two perfect of the examples the [MENTION=21502]Razzoo[/MENTION] could give ? :facepalm: How very EU of you !!!!! OK, Denmark 1992.

I excluded them because the EU didn't make them have further referendums.

The EU reached an agreement with Denmark for opt outs so they had a further referendum with four opt outs.
That's called negotiation and was called the Edinburgh agreement.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
For the umpteenth time on this thread, the decision was advisory only, and consequently proved to be corrupt in the High Court February 2019, and admitted by the government's own QC.

And for the umpteeth time, Parliament voted by a large majority to accept the advise of the referendum,

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
You could almost say it is a light bulb moment.

Btw did you know that BG didn't like the EU because of lightbulbs?

You could also say that some have already turned out the lights.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So, just so that I understand:

Forgetting the legal side, since Parliament changed then the promise and vote of the MPs to enact the referendum result means jack?

Not quite jack, but not much more. That vote does not bind this Parliament, or any other.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And for the umpteeth time, Parliament voted by a large majority to accept the advise of the referendum,

Not quite jack, but not much more. That vote does not bind this Parliament, or any other.

They've also found it impossible to implement because they keep moving the goal posts.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I know, but Jezza & Co will come through eventually.

As you liked that light bulb one, here's another analogy for you:

You're in a bar and you and an attractive woman make eye contact, strike up a conversation, you have a few drinks, everything seems brilliant, then one-thing-leads-to-another and you both agree to go back to hers and upon politely making your excuses and using her en suite bathroom first, you came out to find it's actually a him naked on the bed smiling at you saying - 'Look how much I really want you.' (basically you've done a 'Begbie' in Trainspotting, but worse.)

Remembering all the sweet nothings she'd whispered in your ear earlier that you lapped up and what she'd promised to do you at the bar and that as a result you'd both readily agreed to sleep with each other earlier and now because he's telling you that: 'sex means sex' (Whatever the hell that's going to mean for you.) - would you jump on the bed and still go through with it? Or would you upon realising the rather complicated situation you find yourself in to put it mildly, that differs greatly from the one as envisaged at the bar earlier, would you go back to the en suite bathroom, have a quick rethink and either go ahead as planned earlier in the bar with him as was agreed, or see if there was window to climb out of?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

You're in a bar and you and an attractive woman make eye contact, strike up a conversation, you have a few drinks, everything seems brilliant, then one-thing-leads-to-another and you both agree to go back to hers and upon politely making your excuses and using her en suite bathroom first, you came out to find it's actually a him naked on the bed smiling at you saying - 'Look how much I really want you.' (basically you've done a 'Begbie' in Trainspotting, but worse.)

Remembering all the sweet nothings she'd whispered in your ear earlier that you lapped up and what she'd promised to do you at the bar and that as a result you'd both readily agreed to sleep with each other earlier and now because he's telling you that: 'sex means sex' (Whatever the hell that's going to mean for you.) - would you jump on the bed and still go through with it? Or would you upon realising the rather complicated situation you find yourself in to put it mildly, that differs greatly from the one as envisaged at the bar earlier, would you go back to the en suite bathroom, have a quick rethink and either go ahead as planned earlier in the bar with him as was agreed, or see if there was window to climb out of?

Tell me, do you often have thoughts/dreams like this?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

to avoid confusion, is your metaphor for joining the EU or for leaving? ???

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
We have a power of veto. - only in some areas
That is why we are no longer going to bail out any other country. - agreed
That is why we still use pounds sterling instead of the euro. - was never a veto thing. Joining was a choice for all the members at the time. All new members have to make provision to join so if we leave and decide to re-join we'll be forced to take the Euro
That is why we still buy and use right hand drive cars. - The EU has never even suggested enforcing the side of the road any member drives on.

There is no EU army unless every single one of the 28 countries agree to it without one veto. - not true. The EU Army will consist of troops from countries that decide they should belong to it. One veto doesn't mean no EU Army - only the country placing the veto won't participate.

You say you are not comfortable with it, but that is because you are believing lies. Lies make you feel something isn't right.

You somewhat misrepresent our power of Veto ! - as do you very often

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here