Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
then Corbyn gets accused of running scared. his been calling for an election since the day after the last how could he block that politically? of course its a trap, but maybe thats the point? Johnson doesnt have a majority anymore, losing 20+ MPs tonight, so we'll have a GE in soon eitherway.

He's not going to let Johnson set the date for the election so that no deal happens by default.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
The #teameu crew are out in force tonight I see all waiting to cheer on the Remain MP's latest attempt to thwart/delay Brexit. Government defeat tonight then the crunch vote tomorrow. A General election is almost certainly imminent if they lose that one, polls looking good for Boris but the Tories cocked it up last time .... will they make the same mistakes again?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
Ken Clarke "I Voted for Brexit 3 times".

He voted against no deal.

He also went on to say he will vote for the next brexit deal.

This wasnt about leave or remain and it doesn't suit leaves narrative to admit that.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It sounds like Johnson and Cummings are having a bit of a tantrum.

Watching him and Rees Moog at the dispatch box today was shocking, like May before them, just repeating a mantra, unable to answer questions repeatably put to them.

Worse than May though, they were offensive, Rees Moog lying back when people spoke and yawning. Playing to their populist peanut gallery.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Dear Mr Johnson,

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Yours,
A1X

(P.S. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Being a pathological liar and chancer has caught up with Johnson. He looks really pathetic at the moment.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He's not going to let Johnson set the date for the election so that no deal happens by default.

the problem is he doesnt have that choice. so he either allows the GE and hopes its before 31 Oct, or blocks GE.

the other suggestion is the GE is held immediatly, with Conservatives portraying Labour as blocking exit and therefore pro-remain. there is more politics than just Brexit here, they are banking on returning on a majority. i dont believe this, though the polling supports it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think remainers may be celebrating a pyrrhic victory. If a general election is called, although there is doubt about whether that would be possible, I believe Johnson would do well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
then Corbyn gets accused of running scared. his been calling for an election since the day after the last how could he block that politically? of course its a trap, but maybe thats the point all along. Johnson doesnt have a majority anymore, losing 20+ MPs tonight, so we'll have a GE in soon eitherway.

Corbyn has not wanted a general election for much of that period, no matter the “bring it on” soundbites. Corbyn, his advisers and a huge number of Labour MP’s in Brexit majority constituencies in Wales, the Midlands and the North were extremely worried about losing those seats for obvious reasons.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Being a pathological liar and chancer has caught up with Johnson. He looks really pathetic at the moment.

Bless him, he wanted to be PM for so long and now he's royally f*cking it up almost straight away.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Just so I'm understanding this properly - if the rebels are expelled from the Tory party, doesn't that also trigger by-elections in the relevant constituencies?

Wouldn't that also run the risk of losing their majority even more?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Dear Mr Johnson,

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Yours,
A1X

(P.S. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!)

Think you missed a ha

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I think remainers may be celebrating a pyrrhic victory. If a general election is called, although there is doubt about whether that would be possible, I believe Johnson would do well.

Maybe.... but why not allow people to enjoy the moment without being a killjoy!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just so I'm understanding this properly - if the rebels are expelled from the Tory party, doesn't that also trigger by-elections in the relevant constituencies?

Wouldn't that also run the risk of losing their majority even more?

No not automatically. The MPs would have to stand down as MPs, Chris Williamson remains an MP despite being kicked out of Labour for example.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
No not automatically. The MPs would have to stand down as MPs, Chris Williamson remains an MP despite being kicked out of Labour for example.
No elections, the Tory majority would be reduced by a further 21.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

How is that a pyrrhic victory? Not sure you understand what the phrase means. A pyrrhic victory is when the cost of victory outweighs any gain.
I don't know whether the democratic actions of the brave MP's today will save the UK from No deal or help get a delay, but to see some sense prevail and to see Johnson and his No Deal Ultras shown up for the lying, undemocratic ratbags we knew them to be is most welcome. Most welcome indeed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
the problem is he doesnt have that choice. so he either allows the GE and hopes its before 31 Oct, or blocks GE.

the other suggestion is the GE is held immediatly, with Conservatives portraying Labour as blocking exit and therefore pro-remain. there is more politics than just Brexit here, they are banking on returning on a majority. i dont believe this, though the polling supports it.

Under the Fixed Term rule, he cannot call an election before 2022, unless he has the backing of two thirds of the house.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

There won't be an election until after the legislation has passed to prevent No Deal. If Johnson wants to run on a No Deal ticket and he wins a majority he can do what he wants, however I see nothing to suggest he would win a majority in an election. The Lib Dem resurgence is going to cost him big time in a lot of the seats Cameron won in 2015.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No elections, the Tory majority would be reduced by a further 21.

That would be the already non-existent Tory majority after Philip Lee's defection this afternoon. Which also further brings into the equation of why call an election when you can sit back and let Boris Johnson stew in his own juices of incompetence. The Remain Alliance now basically have him by the balls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here