Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I see Labour are now going to try and block no deal. If there is any party I despise the most it is this lot. That's why they have lost millions of voters over the years including myself. **** off the lot of them.

My regular newspaper supports Leave but even it agrees that No-deal would be a calamity for our country. They, and those of all opinions and colours who say the same, may be wrong of course. But even if you think they are you have to accept that theirs is a legitimate and well-based view.

Why therefore do you despise the Labour Party for trying to stop this 'calamity'? I don't despise (say) Bill Cash for saying the opposite: he is only saying what he thinks is right, even though I think he is terribly wrong and would turn my country into the opposite of what I hope it to be. It is each MP's written responsibility to always act in what he or or she feels is in the national interest and that is what the Labour Party is setting out to do. Surely?

(All that said, I am in the odd position of hoping that Johnson's batty No Deal prospectus wins the day within the Conservative Party. That is the outcome that will most probably lead to another public consultation.)

I'd appreciate a reaction.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its interesting to see people now demanding leave, with no deal.... because they are a bit 'fed up' with the process. Ok, lets leave with catastrophic consequences, to stop you feeling a bit ... 'fed up'

Yes I'm at work bored of Brexit

I want to be bored at home and unemployed instead

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Can one of the sensible posters on here please explain how Boris intends to take us out of the EU with or without a no deal, when the exit requires a legal document to have been passed by Parliament and Parliament have said time and time again that they will never pass one that has “no deal” on it!

I was listening to something on the radio , liz truss I think it was and she was hinting that he could push through the exit without parliamentary approval I.e not calling parliament and when we are out, based on this, he would then be in a position where to cancel the withdrawal, we would in effect have to renegotiate be let back in...so a fait accompli in effect!

Seems like he is playing a dangerous game if he thinks the prime minister can override the will of parliament and that in effect would lead us down to the path of dictatorship.

Nothing has changed, the situation is still exactly the same as 3 years ago.

We can leave with a deal and a customs union.

Or

We need to start investing £10s of millions on Customs Posts in NI, lorry parks at all ports, IT infrastructure and systems to be designed built and tested to process all the WTO transactions, and HMRC will need to undertake the biggest staff recruitment and training in their history.

If we were to go 'no deal' we will get about 5-10 years notice (my guesstimate), but I know the trade you're in would give you an equally informed idea of what it would take to put at least one of those aspects of infrastructure in place. It just seems that when it gets to politics, people get very easily confused and believe that common sense is no longer applicable.

This ongoing farce is one of the main reasons Karen Wheeler, Director General of HMRCs Brexit border delivery group, has just decided to take early retirement, after only being in the post 2 years. (She was responsible for coordinating the Government's cross-departmental plan involving police, ports, customs and freight interests for a 'no deal' Brexit).

In the meanwhile, Johnson, Raab, Leadsome etc will continue to play the jester to the terminally naive, stupid and easily entertained :shrug:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Nothing has changed, the situation is still exactly the same as 3 years ago.

We can leave with a deal and a customs union.

Or

We need to start investing £10s of millions on Customs Posts in NI, lorry parks at all ports, IT infrastructure and systems to be designed built and tested to process all the WTO transactions, and HMRC will need to undertake the biggest staff recruitment and training in their history.

If we were to go 'no deal' we will get about 5-10 years notice (my guesstimate), but I know the trade you're in would give you an equally informed idea of what it would take to put at least one of those aspects that would need putting in place. It just seems that when it gets to politics, people seem to get very easily confused and believe that common sense is no longer applicable.

This ongoing farce is one of the main reasons Karen Wheeler, Director General of Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs Brexit border delivery group, has just decided to take early retirement, after only being in the post 2 years. (She was responsible for coordinating a cross-departmental response involving police, ports, customs and freight interests for a 'no deal' Brexit).

In the meanwhile, Johnson, Raab, Leadsome etc will continue preaching to the terminally naive and stupid :shrug:

Question for you, how are we getting on with getting our tariffs schedules approved? Guess Liam has it all in hand...

What will happen to our trade with the US in the event of no deal?

I presume as we have a large trade surplus with them the Donald will just allow us to do a cut and paste our EU trade agreements? I know he really likes Little Old England...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Question for you, how are we getting on with getting our tariffs schedules approved? Guess Liam has it all in hand...

What will happen to our trade with the US in the event of no deal?

I presume as we have a large trade surplus with them the Donald will just allow us to do a cut and paste our EU trade agreements? I know he really likes Little Old England...

I must admit that I haven't checked for a long while, but the latest I can find is from 5 days ago

There are two insurmountable hurdles to the UK trading on current WTO tariffs in the event of Britain crashing out in October.

Firstly, the UK must produce its own schedule covering both services and each of the 5,000-plus product lines covered in the WTO agreement and get it agreed by all the 163 WTO states in the remaining parliamentary sitting days until October 31. A number of states have already raised objections to the UK's draft schedule: 20 over goods and three over services.

The second hurdle is the sheer volume of domestic legislation that would need to be passed before being able to trade under WTO rules: there are nine statutes and 600 statutory instruments that would need to be adopted.

However, the good news is that currently we have signed UK trade agreements with

Andean countries
CARIFORUM trade bloc
Chile
Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA) trade bloc 
Faroe Islands
Iceland and Norway
Israel
Liechtenstein
Pacific states
Palestinian Authority
Switzerland

So when your lorry rolls off the ferry at Dover, if you can prove that your produce originates from one of these countries, HMRC will only need to check what the produce is and whether, under that trade agreement, it is due for any tariffs or quotas.

So it's not all bad news then :wink:

(Except for the fact that Donald Trump is currently breaking all WTO rules as a result of his trade war. I wonder how long before the other major economic players do the same. A truly excellent time to be a minor economy re-negotiating all your trade deals).

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Simply no logic there at all.

Well 10 out of 10 for stating the bleedin’ obvious Sherlock!

Logic was stay in, logic was move to an orderly exit, logic was ask the people again if a consensus could not be reached.

If I was a leaver I would be frothing at the mouth. The mealy mouthed, liberal politically minded twats have again done what has actually caused Brexit, ignored the common man (or woman). At times like these logic could understandably go out with the bath water, time to exit before people get angry.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Logic was stay in, logic was move to an orderly exit, logic was ask the people again if a consensus could not be reached.

If I was a leaver I would be frothing at the mouth. The mealy mouthed, liberal politically minded twats have again done what has actually caused Brexit, ignored the common man (or woman). At times like these logic could understandably go out with the bath water, time to exit before people get angry.

Ridiculous.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sorry but sounds like a flounce to me rather than a reasoned argument. Frustrating I know, but this is just too important to react on an emotional level.

No reason to flounce as far as I am concerned, what is done is done.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I must admit that I haven't checked for a long while, but the latest I can find is from 5 days ago

There are two insurmountable hurdles to the UK trading on current WTO tariffs in the event of Britain crashing out in October.

Firstly, the UK must produce its own schedule covering both services and each of the 5,000-plus product lines covered in the WTO agreement and get it agreed by all the 163 WTO states in the remaining parliamentary sitting days until October 31. A number of states have already raised objections to the UK's draft schedule: 20 over goods and three over services.

The second hurdle is the sheer volume of domestic legislation that would need to be passed before being able to trade under WTO rules: there are nine statutes and 600 statutory instruments that would need to be adopted.

However, the good news is that currently we have signed UK trade agreements with

Andean countries
CARIFORUM trade bloc
Chile
Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA) trade bloc 
Faroe Islands
Iceland and Norway
Israel
Liechtenstein
Pacific states
Palestinian Authority
Switzerland

So when your lorry rolls off the ferry at Dover, if you can prove that your produce originates from one of these countries, HMRC will only need to check what the produce is and whether, under that trade agreement, it is due for any tariffs or quotas.

So it's not all bad news then :wink:

(Except for the fact that Donald Trump is currently breaking all WTO rules as a result of his trade war. I wonder how long before the other major economic players do the same. A truly excellent time to be a minor economy re-negotiating all your trade deals).

What could possibly go wrong?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
[MENTION=35289]Baker lite[/MENTION] on his way ?

BRIGHTON Pier was closed as a naked man ran amok on the popular tourist attraction yesterday evening.

Brandon Duke watched from the beach as the man jumped from the pier into the water.

He said: "I saw a naked male jump into the sea. He was trying to impersonate a helicopter as he jumped off"

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17699355.brighton-pier-closed-as-naked-man-causes-chaos/

[emoji38]ol:
No he's still half way across the Atlantic in his tin bath. This will have been DR.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
No reason to flounce as far as I am concerned, what is done is done.

Well you certainly didn't offer a reasoned argument for your views.
I wonder how solid and thought-through the foundations of your 'Remain' beliefs actually were...........

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

.... presumably without any logical reason to do so.....just furious frustration!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Careful boys, we are starting to hunt in a pack.
Jesus wept. What a ****ing loser.

D

Deleted member 22389

Ouch more bad news

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Jefferson_MFG/status/1138713602741985282[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here