Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Blame? I am not blaming anybody. Simply hoping that our democratic process is not damaged forever by delays and sabotage until 'those thick leave idiots will just go away'.

Thick leave idiots, not language I've ever used on here.

What I do know is all is us know a lot more than we did in 2016, Britain is I'm afraid learning the hard way.........

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good on Bercow for staying on.

The only one, it seems, standing between us and the *no deal* destruction of the UK.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Sauce? As it has not happened before, it's a matter of conjecture, not fact.

I like the words 'prospect' and 'possibly'.

We have not even left yet, and Sterling has dropped significantly.
International corporations are moving their HQs out of the country.
Auto manufactures are moving their operations out of the country.
The steel industry for what it was, is on its knee's
Prominent ''leave'' supporting industrialists, are moving their operations out of the UK.
The Bullshit regarding how we will just replicate current deals, is exactly that, bullshit.
To leave the largest, and richest trading bloc on the planet, in order to make our own deals
from a position of weakness, is pretty stupid, even when trading with the rest of the world, which is mostly poor.

This is not conjecture. Its a reality.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'd compare it more to Qatar being awarded the World Cup.

I look it as like The Monster Raving Loony Party winning a general election and upon forming a Government not being able to implement any of their polices and people being outraged as a result.

I see they're still around and standing in the Peterborough By-Election next week and unlike The Brexit Party they appear to actually have a manifesto and a clear policy platform on Brexit which appears far more cogent than 'managed no deal' or whatever it's being called this week:

"We will Send Noel Edmonds to negotiate Brexit because he understands Deal or No Deal. There will be no need for a backstop to the Brexit negotiations. We’ll have Alec Stewart as wicket-keeper."

https://www.loonyparty.com/about/policy-proposals/

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
We have not even left yet, and Sterling has dropped significantly.
International corporations are moving their HQs out of the country.
Auto manufactures are moving their operations out of the country.
The steel industry for what it was, is on its knee's
Prominent ''leave'' supporting industrialists, are moving their operations out of the UK.
The Bullshit regarding how we will just replicate current deals, is exactly that, bullshit.
To leave the largest, and richest trading bloc on the planet, in order to make our own deals
from a position of weakness, is pretty stupid, even when trading with the rest of the world, which is mostly poor.

This is not conjecture. Its a reality.

That is what the big issue is. Without dealing with your points individually, you know as well as I do that chucking them en mass under the 'Brexit caused this' umbrella is both cheap and factually incorrect. The remain believers would have more credibility were they to accept the result graciously and try to make the best for the future, rather than the 'my dog died because of Brexit' approach.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
That is what the big issue is. Without dealing with your points individually, you know as well as I do that chucking them en mass under the 'Brexit caused this' umbrella is both cheap and factually incorrect.

Sterling is down due to Brexit uncertainty.
International Corporations have stated quite clearly, why they are moving.
Auto Manufactures have stated quite clearly, why they are moving.
Prominent ''leave'' industrialists are protecting themselves.
The steel industry has stated quite clearly whey they are in trouble.
You cannot just replicate the current trade deals, they need to be negotiated.

Who are these people in the ''rest of the world' are we planning to trade with exactly, and will it be beneficial for us to trade with them individually, rather than with a powerful trading bloc?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
The remain believers would have more credibility were they to accept the result graciously and try to make the best for the future, rather than the 'my dog died because of Brexit' approach.

Accept the ''advisory' referendum over the sovereignty of Parliament?

Are you actually saying that it is not true that Sterling is down because of Brexit? That Corporations are not moving, and that there are no job losses because of Brexit? Really?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
That is what the big issue is. Without dealing with your points individually, you know as well as I do that chucking them en mass under the 'Brexit caused this' umbrella is both cheap and factually incorrect. The remain believers would have more credibility were they to accept the result on the chin and try to make the best for the future, rather than the 'my dog died because of Brexit' approach.

I think the only one that is arguable in the steel industry point. There is a view that we are bound by EU regulations and therefore can't protect (via state subsidy/bail-outs) the jobs that might be lost in Scunthorpe - just as we couldn't protect the jobs lost in Redcar a few years back. This is quoted by Brexiteers as a downside of EU membership and one which we'd be liberated from if we left.

I'd be more compelled by this argument if it wasn't being espoused by right-wing politicians who have no intention whatever of supporting jobs in this way. The intellectual wing of Brexit (oxymoron) consists of ultra free market economists who want to see the end of state intervention in markets.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
That is what the big issue is. Without dealing with your points individually, you know as well as I do that chucking them en mass under the 'Brexit caused this' umbrella is both cheap and factually incorrect. The remain believers would have more credibility were they to accept the result graciously and try to make the best for the future, rather than the 'my dog died because of Brexit' approach.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Strangely my dog may have died because of Brexit, or at least is still alive because we are in the EU. She is a rescue dog originally from Portugal, bought over here for a new home, which was possible with the European Pet Passport. I presume the chances of rehoming/avoiding death are significantly higher in the UK than Portugal (or Greece/Romania where lots of other dogs are rescued).

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Strangely my dog may have died because of Brexit, or at least is still alive because we are in the EU. She is a rescue dog originally from Portugal, bought over here for a new home, which was possible with the European Pet Passport. I presume the chances of rehoming/avoiding death are significantly higher in the UK than Portugal (or Greece/Romania where lots of other dogs are rescued).

Were it the other way round - and your dog (to whom all good wishes!) had suffered through the bureaucratic machinations of the EU, I think Nige could have had a back projection of the poor pooch at his rallies and mobilised further anger towards those faceless canine-hating, horse-flesh eating foreign johnnies.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Were it the other way round - and your dog (to whom all good wishes!) had suffered through the bureaucratic machinations of the EU, I think Nige could have had a back projection of the poor pooch at his rallies and mobilised further anger towards those faceless canine-hating, horse-flesh eating foreign johnnies.

Absolute quality, and a splendid example of the stereotypical rhetoric spouted by some.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Its no consolation if you'll soon be losing your job at Honda and there is no new opportunities at Nissan because the next X-Trail model is being made elsewhere.

Brexit is a convenient rack on which to place a hat, were the coal mines struggling right now in the UK as in the 80s, I'm sure Nige would have been the cause.

Jan 30, 2008
Accept the ''advisory' referendum over the sovereignty of Parliament?

Are you actually saying that it is not true that Sterling is down because of Brexit? That Corporations are not moving, and that there are no job losses because of Brexit? Really?

Bore off Dave as if the country will be in the doldrums for ever, history tells us that isn't the case ,I mean how did we ever survive before joining the common agricultural policy,thanks for project fear anyway So glad you've got the Breakdown of the EU to look forward to in years to come
Regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008

You need to go Greece and see how cats are treated then:dunce:
regards
DR

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
She is a rescue dog originally from Portugal, bought over here for a new home, which was possible with the European Pet Passport

So is mine. The irony is that my dog, with her Portuguese passport, will soon have more freedom of movement than I will.

It's a dog's life

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Brexit is a convenient rack on which to place a hat, were the coal mines struggling right now in the UK as in the 80s, I'm sure Nige would have been the cause.

One thing is for sure is Palace's most famous son is doing alright jack. Guess if you have no manifesto and no policies there's not much to do, you can just carry on with that nice little earner on LBC, plus a bit for the Murdoch channel in the US on the side....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here