Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What percentage of the 52% do you think are happy with where we're at right now?

Not a lot would be my guess BUT that doesn't mean they still don't want to leave. Who could have forcast how utterly useless and pathetic May has been ? Give me another vote and I would still vote leave ...... although I'd be mighty cynical that I'm being asked my view again .... I wonder if we'd have got another referendum if remain had won and we now know that an EU army is on the table ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK, fair point but of course when we cast our votes we didn't know she would be PM.

Very true, we thought the massive windfall was going to be spent on the NHS, roads, transportation, education etc.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not a lot would be my guess BUT that doesn't mean they still don't want to leave. Who could have forcast how utterly useless and pathetic May has been ? Give me another vote and I would still vote leave ...... although I'd be mighty cynical that I'm being asked my view again .... I wonder if we'd have got another referendum if remain had won and we now know that an EU army is on the table ?

Even if two-thirds of the 52% ARE happy then that's more than 65% of voters that aren't happy - but obviously not enough to warrant another vote!

Why I'm as angry about this now as the day of the Referendum is because what was promised to Leavers was palpably UNDELIVERABLE, pure fantasy.

As Dominic Cummings himself said, it is the politicians and the system that are to blame. The sad thing for me - a 50 year-old Lib Dem voter all my life in one of the safest Tory seats in Britain who has looked on at the Tory - Labour tribal hatred for more than 30 years that there was obviously never going to be a consensus / healing / coming together to make Brexit work because Parliament, British politics, the mindset of the electorate doesn't do consensus or long-term thinking.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
[tweet]1097880928037339136[/tweet]

Confirming then, that in the event of no deal we will decide ourselves the tariff rates that will apply for imports and which we will put in place ourselves. An awful lot of FBPE idiots on twitter used to say we will be forced to apply some sort of default WTO rates for imports, or bizarrely might even be stopped from trading according to WTO all together, thankfully their numbers have dwindled significantly recently. The penny must have dropped.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Confirming then, that in the event of no deal we will decide ourselves the tariff rates that will apply for imports and which we will put in place ourselves. An awful lot of FBPE idiots on twitter used to say we will be forced to apply some sort of default WTO rates for imports, or bizarrely might even be stopped from trading according to WTO all together, thankfully their numbers have dwindled significantly recently. The penny must have dropped.

Are you in some competition with Two Profs for the single most stupid post on this whole thread ?.

So we are going to 'decide' these tariff rates all on our own and just charge whatever we want without agreement from other members of the WTO ? Maybe everyone in the WTO just 'decides' whatever tariff rates they fancy themselves and then charges them :facepalm:

Makes you wonder why the WTO bother existing :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Has anyone commented on this thread about Gove's putting tariffs on imported food to protect British farmers?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Has anyone commented on this thread about Gove's putting tariffs on imported food to protect British farmers?

I think [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] has, but now may be regretting it. It's not as if he has a history of rushing to post things that later make him look foolish ???

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Are you in some competition with Two Profs for the single most stupid post on this whole thread ?.

So we are going to 'decide' these tariff rates all on our own and just charge whatever we want without agreement from other members of the WTO ? Maybe everyone in the WTO just 'decides' whatever tariff rates they fancy themselves and then charges them :facepalm:

Makes you wonder why the WTO bother existing :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

What? Are you saying its not the UK that submits its own tariff rate ceiling commitment as part of its schedule and its not the UK that chooses what applied rates it wants to charge for imports?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
What? Are you saying its not the UK that submits its own tariff rate ceiling commitment as part of its schedule and its not the UK that chooses what applied rates it wants to charge for imports?

And what has happened to that schedule since the UK submitted it over 6 months ago ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
No no no even when the senior VP For Honda Europe says it's not a Brexit related decision it's still not good enough for the plums on here. To recap, when a company mentions Brexit uncertainity as one factor in relocating business or jobs it's entirely about Brexit and when companies specifically say Brexit is not a factor they are telling porkies and it really is about Brexit :rolleyes::facepalm: :dunce:

The things is though, Brexit is such a toxic issue it's frankly best not to mention it as a factor at all. They need to stay out of it. It just saves on the inevitable backlash and denials from populist, English nationalist oddballs. It's far better to just make their decisions and relocate as quietly as possible and leave this moribund, divided, political basket case of a country to it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] has, but now may be regretting it. It's not as if he has a history of rushing to post things that later make him look foolish ???

What this bit?

Michael Gove: “A huge proportion of our food exports to the EU go through Calais. As I speak, there are no border inspection posts at Calais. None.”

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
And this bit....

Michael Gove: “As I speak, there is no absolute guarantee that we would be able to continue to export food to the EU.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
And what has happened to that schedule since the UK submitted it nearly 6 months ago ?

Dont go off on a tangent.....try again and answer the question.
Are you saying its not the UK that submits its own tariff rate ceiling commitment as part of its schedule and its not the UK that chooses what applied rates it wants to charge for imports?
Because all i have said is it will be us the UK (or Gove and the government) that will set the applied rates for imports into the UK
as confirmed by TB tweet

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Dont go off on a tangent.....try again and answer the question.
Are you saying its not the UK that submits its own tariff rate ceiling commitment as part of its schedule and its not the UK that chooses what applied rates it wants to charge for imports?
Because all i have said is it will be us the UK (or Gove and the government) that will set the applied rates for imports into the UK
as confirmed by TB tweet

It's not a tangent you idiot.

The UK schedules were submitted to the WTO at the back end of July last year based on the EU schedules we currently use. Unsurprisingly over 20 countries immediately objected to the UK using the EU negotiated schedules (on account of the UK not being the largest trading bloc in the world) and are currently blocking any negotiations on the UK schedules. (These include Russia, USA, Australia and New Zealand).

This means that we currently have no UK schedules and will not have in the next 38 days.

This, in turn, means that the UK will have to use the WTO default tariffs as we have no agreed schedule of our own and therefor cannot set our own rates.

Penny dropped yet :shrug:

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here