Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They all seem to have Russian linked girlfriends.

This is Kremlin operation will be taught at GRU school for years.

I suppose we have to congratulate Vladimir on his victory over the UK in 9 days time. *No deal* collapse. Couldn't have done it without his agents of influence and their russian girlfriends.

With us out of the game, it'll be easier for his tanks to roll into Ukraine and Belarus.

Medals will be issued soon enough at GRU HQ.

In fairness to Vlad, he clearly did his homework.

Who else know Boris was totally under the influence of his own willy?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Given that the Speaker has the only authority to grant which motions are heard / voted on, is he really to be expected to allow a vote on "should MPs be allowed to ride roughshod over 400 years of Parliamentary convention?"

I'm pretty sure someone asked him whether it was possible to pass something to over-ride the convention after he made the announcement, and he said yes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
She can bring her deal for a third vote. There are ways around the Speaker's intervention:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47623589

And the EU would grant an extension if they thought there was a chance the deal would be passed. They don't want a no deal situation.

What strikes me as somewhat ridiculous is that before stating she wanted an extension until the end of June, she apparently did not clarify with the EU whether this is possible. Or did receive clarification and just ignored it. But May has form for this kind of thing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47636011

The word at the moment is that Macron will say Non. It only needs one country out of the 27. Whether that is the case, who knows?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The word at the moment is that Macron will say Non. It only needs one country out of the 27. Whether that is the case, who knows?
Putin also has Italy, Poland, Austria and Hungary if he needs them. But he can sit back and let Macron do the honours for different reasons this time.

Last edited:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Very interesting,Italy also confirmed as a veto.Its renege left as the only option for Theresa the appeaser, will she or won’t she?

By legal default, on our way way.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Putin also has Italy, Poland and Hungary if he needs them. But he can sit back and let Macron do the honours for different reasons this time.

The thing is, that even if May gets her deal through the MV3, there isn't enough time for it to have a House of Lords reading and Royal consent before the 29th.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can you imagine the Sun and Mail if Macron blocks it ? Zut alors

We'd be able to ignore everything else and blame the French, just as the good lord intended.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I read she said twice in PMQ's that she's not going to consider an A50 extension beyond June 30th.

She just needs say that 106 more times and it'll draw level with the we're leaving on 'March 29th' one and be really, really convincing.

Understandable cynicism but I wonder if she has finally come to the endgame of trying to deliver her Brexit plan and decided to call parliament's bluff. "As prime minister, I am not prepared to delay Brexit any further than 30 June". is being interpreted as her saying she would resign by some and the PM's spokesman has refused to say (when asked four times) would she resign if there was a longer extension.

(Assuming she loses any third vote) would Tory remainers in the cabinet and parliament really vote with the opposition to ask for a longer extension or even revoke article 50 bringing about the resignation of the PM, even more chaos, plus a likely Brexiteer PM replacement, irrevocable split in the party and a general election which they might well lose to the Marxists ... if they don't we would exit with no deal. :ohmy:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

I would be very surprised if the EU did not manage to convince countries which were considering a veto not so do so. But I've been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Rubbish. They need us more than we need them remember! Threaten him with all the Italian Prosecco sales! Or the German car sales!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
80 million peoples, an active military personnel that is the same as the UK and France combined and a NATO state since 1952. Militarily, as it is a NATO country, the UK would be bound to defend Turkey under Article 5 of the NATO rules.

Therefore, in economic, strategic and military terms it is a country you want onside. However, the real problem is that European governments are secular whereas Erdogan is Islamist, so you get democratic 'backsliding'.

I think more significant is the fact that if Turkey is admitted then the European Union will include a large area of territory that is not in Europe. Does this mean we would consider admitting, say, Morocco because we share the Mediterranean Sea with them?

I believe the EU should aim for a separate status for those nations adjacent to the natural borders of Europe so that we have a coherent accord right the way from Morocco to Egypt, up through Israel to Syria and Turkey.

The reasons they will not be admitted are true, but you can't also cite them as reasons for not wanting them to join if they are the very things that prevent them from joining. They are not fully secular, but neither are they a Religious state, but if and when better alignment with western principles would allow them to join in the future, the argument to not want them join because they are not aligned with western principles would be gone.
The Geographic argument is not something I have considered much, but what would do with Cyprus?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“Theresa May vows not to delay departure beyond June”

If only she had some power and authority.....maybe someone would believe her?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I would be very surprised if the EU did not manage to convince countries which were considering a veto not so do so. But I've been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again!

Difficult if one of them is France. Work to do at their end.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Civil Contingencies Act tonight ?

I was hoping they'd wait until next week.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
French have denied rumour that they will block the request for an extension. They've finally realised they need us more than we need them...…………….May is becoming more intransigent (and simply fed up) by the minute. Why doesn't she reach out? She appears to be playing to the ERG gallery at the expense of relationships with softer Brexiteers in her own Cabinet, yet alone Parliament.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

All the 'EU' has to do is say:-

"Farridge wants you to veto".

Shirley the EU is pre-programmed to do the exact opposite of what Farridge wants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here