Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The British political system is broken the country was asked via a referendum and it gave an answer that was the only job given to the country it then went back to the elected politicians to deliver this they have failed to do so.

As such the whole lot should be swept away all current MPs should not be allowed to stand for any public office lets get new fresh ideas in, is it time for a revolution

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Are we saying this is old news. I checked the sources and it new news.

No, it's new, but the basis of the award is related to the long history of involvement in the project. The company delivering the support is a JV between the UK MOD, BAE and Northropp Grumman, two companies that manufacture many of the components of the F-35, it is not like this contract could have gone to anyone or anywhere.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Economics only makes sense when it's written on the side of a bus:-

[tweet]1096339098661474304[/tweet]

View attachment 104670

https://amp.theguardian.com/busines...t-80bn-since-vote-bank-of-england-rate-setter

Posting a campaign message from the habitual liars* at 'Peoples/losers' vote which is now telling porkies about Leave .... brilliant. When did 'leave' now say we would be worse off?

I suppose the same groups of people making up random numbers about how much more the UK might have grown makes a change from their woefully inaccurate guesses about the future (we should already be in a recession, half a million more unemployed etc).

*https://order-order.com/2019/02/14/peoples-votes-bregret-poster-boy-actually-voted-remain/

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You are not applying the normal definition of independence.

By and large, any treaty or deal or formal arrangement one country enters into with another involves a loss of freedom. That is what tends to define an agreement. (Our membership of NATO, to take probably not the best of a million examples, means that we are unable to unilaterally announce that British troops will never be commanded by - or subordinate to - foreign officers.)

A loss of freedom associated with a specific agreement does not in itself represent an underlying loss of independence. (If this was not so there would be barely a country in the world that could be described as independent.) The key issue is whether the parties to an agreement freely entered into it, and can, according to the terms & conditions they accepted when doing so, freely depart from it.

Having freely chosen to enter a union with other European nations, the British state is now free to leave it. All it has to do is give two years' notice and then walk away. Modern Britain is, and always has been, an independent nation.

Your reference to the (utterly ghastly) withdrawal bill would be relevant if that bill was a unilateral EU construct. It isn't. It was a jointly-written bill driven by negotiations arising from Britain's sovereign decision to leave the EU. Britain is entirely free not to sign it. If you don't think it should, lobby your MP, or continue to get behind Iain Duncan Smith and the rest of them.

I will base my assessment of national independence on the basis of that a nation governs itself and without influence from foreign actors.

Accordingly, by voluntarily entering into a union (like the EU) with its array of regulations, directives and other associated legislation the U.K. has less independence in, than out.

As has been explained on here before EU regulations go straight onto the U.K. statute book without any scrutiny or approval from the U.K. elected Parliament, this is far away from the concept of self government that independent nations have.

The EU’s influence has worked like a salami slicer on member state independence, since Maastricht and Lisbon, not forgetting what membership of the euro means in the future for the EZ states.

So, let’s be in no doubt, independence will be delivered by a properly executed Brexit, if it’s not the debate and rancour will continue.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Scotland will just want to distance themselves as much as they can from post-Brexit England. They are not going to want to be dragged into the exclusive quagmire of separatism and economic pit we are headed towards.

Their first ref was about an ideal, their second will be about survival. Just as ours will be.

Nicely put, but then you are a self-confessed exaggerator.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
The British political system is broken the country was asked via a referendum and it gave an answer that was the only job given to the country it then went back to the elected politicians to deliver this they have failed to do so.

As such the whole lot should be swept away all current MPs should not be allowed to stand for any public office lets get new fresh ideas in, is it time for a revolution
The problem with that is that you are assuming the replacements would be better when they could be even worse. It takes a certain kind of individual to go into that career path which leaves them ill equipped to be able to do the job properly. I could be wrong but I imagine most MP’s have very little real life business experience and are career politicians who are generally unable to make the correct decisions when required.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I will base my assessment of national independence on the basis of that a nation governs itself and without influence from foreign actors.

Accordingly, by voluntarily entering into a union (like the EU) with its array of regulations, directives and other associated legislation the U.K. has less independence in, than out.

As has been explained on here before EU regulations go straight onto the U.K. statute book without any scrutiny or approval from the U.K. elected Parliament, this is far away from the concept of self government that independent nations have.

The EU’s influence has worked like a salami slicer on member state independence, since Maastricht and Lisbon, not forgetting what membership of the euro means in the future for the EZ states.

So, let’s be in no doubt, independence will be delivered by a properly executed Brexit, if it’s not the debate and rancour will continue.
I tried to engage with the points you made but unfortunately you ignored the ones I did. You have every right to do so of course, but it's hardly the stuff of dialogue and debate.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Posting a campaign message from the habitual liars* at 'Peoples/losers' vote which is now telling porkies about Leave .... brilliant. When did 'leave' now say we would be worse off?

I suppose the same groups of people making up random numbers about how much more the UK might have grown makes a change from their woefully inaccurate guesses about the future (we should already be in a recession, half a million more unemployed etc).

*https://order-order.com/2019/02/14/peoples-votes-bregret-poster-boy-actually-voted-remain/

Based on the proposal that we would be leaving within months of a leave result.
Anyone at this point who denies Brexit is an economic disaster for Britain is a bloody fool.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Less than a 1000 hours to go.Happy ****ing days.

On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You would do well to exercise a bit of humility and perhaps a bit of tact in respect to those losing their livelihoods because of Brexit.
But then again, tact, respect, humility. Not attributes one associates with you, eh.
Crass. That’s the word I’d apppy to you.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Based on the proposal that we would be leaving within months of a leave result.
Anyone at this point who denies Brexit is an economic disaster for Britain is a bloody fool.

Anyone who thinks there was ever a 'proposal' or forecast based on us leaving within of months of the leave result is indeed a 'bloody fool'. Even if anyone was stupid enough to believe Cameron would really trigger article 50 immediately after the vote without any plan to leave there was always going to be a two year period of negotation as set out in article 50

We haven't left yet, our economic performance has proved remarkably resilient despite the woefully mishandled negotiating process and we have no idea what our future trade relationship will be with the EU so continually claiming economic disaster is just more hysterical nonsense on your part.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyone who thinks there was ever a 'proposal' or forecast based on us leaving within of months of the leave result is indeed a 'bloody fool'. Even if anyone was stupid enough to believe Cameron would really trigger article 50 immediately after the vote without any plan to leave there was always going to be a two year period of negotation as set out in article 50

We haven't left yet, our economic performance has proved remarkably resilient despite the woefully mishandled negotiating process and we have no idea what our future trade relationship will be with the EU so continually claiming economic disaster is just more hysterical nonsense on your part.

To quote Jack Torrence:

“You got a big surprise comin’ to you”.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47264476

Hammond's trip to China for trade talks is called off by China amid the Pacific row. Hammond's response? "No, nope, we never said we were going to China". Pathetic. So we begin our global trade negotiations on the back foot.

Look at what this actually means. What are China actually saying and doing here? Well, a couple of things. A couple of very clever things. Firstly China is calling the first shots in negotiations, they're dictating the agenda and time frame.

Secondly and perhaps more worryingly, they are attempting to influence the UK's military operations.

That is a concerning side effect of Brexit and another example of how weak and vulnerable we will be outside of the EU trade bloc. We have had a good trading relationship with China over the last few decades, I can see the tables turning on that after Brexit. They’re already starting to realise the powerful position they are going to be in and the weak position we are manouvering ourselves into.

I dread to think of what demands China will make on the UK. A communist country with a record of extreme censorship. At the very least they will be requesting any media or political scrutiny of their regime cease.

We are gonna be the world's little bitch.

Last edited:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
You would do well to exercise a bit of humility and perhaps a bit of tact in respect to those losing their livelihoods because of Brexit.
But then again, tact, respect, humility. Not attributes one associates with you, eh.
Crass. That’s the word I’d apppy to you.

Ooooohhhhhh the drama.

On our way.

D

Deleted member 22389

No, it's new, but the basis of the award is related to the long history of involvement in the project. The company delivering the support is a JV between the UK MOD, BAE and Northropp Grumman, two companies that manufacture many of the components of the F-35, it is not like this contract could have gone to anyone or anywhere.

I see, and fair point. I will actually read your posts, at least you don't go around calling people names.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17438601.44

There appears to be a lot more support for Brexit locally than we are lead to believe. Judging by these comments!

They will be dismissed as bigots, racist “Gammon”by the metropolitan elite that stalk this thread.What must be understood is that people that had the audacity to vote leave are nowhere near smart enough to vote at all.

On our way.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17438601.44

There appears to be a lot more support for Brexit locally than we are led to believe. Judging by these comments!

All that proves, from most of the replies, is that there are many truly belligerent and very ignorant people around, who still refuse, even after 2 years, to se what a total mess Parliament has made of this and are still prepared to go ahead with this massive gamble.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here