Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Soames was in my opinion, using his grandfather's words for his own political purposes.

From wiki (i know)

On 15 February 1930, Churchill commented in the American journal*The Saturday Evening Postthat a "European Union" was possible between continental states, but without Britain's involvement:

We see nothing but good and hope in a richer, freer, more contented European commonality. But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked but not compromised. We are interested and associated but not absorbed.[15]

Still had an empire then though.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I have pointed this out before, but Cameron had it confirmed that it was/is the case that the UK cannot be compelled to sign up to any further treaties, join the Euro etc. without any loss of current status in the EU. It was also the case that any new treaty or amendment to existing treaties that would change our relationship with the EU would have to be agreed to by the people via a UK referendum.
The upshot is, nothing would change for the UK/EU relationship, unless the UK population allowed it, by majority vote.

Laws can be changed re allowing referendums. Also, the government gets to decide if any new treaty or treaty amendment would meet the necessary criteria to trigger one... remember Cameron initially promised a referendum on the Lisbon treaty. Point three even if we had one and voted no that wouldn't necessarily stop further integration as the people of France and the Netherlands found out see Eu Consitution - Lisbon Treaty.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Direct quote from the BBC: "Honda are clear this is based on global trends and not Brexit, as all European market production will consolidate in Japan in 2021."

As with all these things we will never know for sure but had Brexit not happened would Honda, Nissan, Sony, Pannasonic and Hitachi be making the decisions they have?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Direct quote from the BBC: "Honda are clear this is based on global trends and not Brexit, as all European market production will consolidate in Japan in 2021."

Honda haven't made an official announcement. The quote on the BBC is from local MP Justin Tomlinson in a tweet, a Leave campaigner, so perhaps take it with a pinch of salt as to the reasons Honda are actually doing this.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As with all these things we will never know for sure but had Brexit not happened would Honda, Nissan, Sony, Pannasonic and Hitachi be making the decisions they have?

The irony being it was Thatcher and her pro-European beliefs that led her to offer Japanese companies a gateway to the EU through a UK manufacturing base. They now don't need us, so while some might remain, it's certainly not going to increase and at best is going to be a slow decline.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What you have never stated is whether a soft leave is preferable to remaining, or Mays deal which has us stuck in the customs union more firmly than we are now until magic borders exist, is preferable to remaining. You always bottle those questions.

Hmmm, let me see. I dont remember anyone asking me those specific questions anyway so not sure how i bottled it, but you offer me two scenarios.

1/leaving or remaining
and
2/leaving or remaining

let me make it quite clear......i f##king detest the EU. I do NOT want to remain.

any leaving scenario v remaining......i would NOT pick remain. I voted to Leave.
leaving with a donkey cock in my ear for 20 years or remain?.......i would NOT pick remain.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Been made redundant 3 times it's not nice but adversely it forces you into different spheres

It's great to look at positives in life out of adversity. Not something you'd want to put anyone through if you can avoid it though. Remember my Dad being made redundant in '89 just when interest rates hit 15%, I was only young but it was a dark time. Wouldn't wish it anyone. He came through it because he is a talented hard working individual, probably like yourself. Not everyone is so lucky though.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Still had an empire then though.

Post Brexit and all these free trade deals we'll be doing, alongside Gavin Williamson's new military bases around the world and a good old bit of gunboat diplomacy like he did with the Chinese and that aircraftless carrier - we'll have it all back soon enough I'm sure, God willing.(and he is an Englishman too don't forget)

Just like Dr Fox and Brexit, the British East India Company was all about trade to begin with - that lulled Johnny Foreigner into a false sense of security, then we stitched him up, good and proper, by taking the lot. Empire 2.0 is coming.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Talking out your arse as usual.
View attachment 104729

Still dont want to say exactly what is happening on the 29th.......surprise surprise. Same old Meg, still cant make an exact prediction.
Worst crystal ball EVER.

I seem to remember you helpfully providing a link to a Brexit poll where [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] had voted for the UK wasn't going to leave option. Mind you he changes his mind/options/predictions so often it's hard to know what he thinks.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Did any of your redundancies occur because of government trade sanctions?

Does Thatcher count ? Think she was a sanction in herself. They were all manufacturing companies. 1 relocated back to America, another to the far east and the 3rd just cut its work force to the bone

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The irony being it was Thatcher and her pro-European beliefs that led her to offer Japanese companies a gateway to the EU through a UK manufacturing base. They now don't need us, so while some might remain, it's certainly not going to increase and at best is going to be a slow decline.

Very true this was always a likley outcome Brexit or no Brexit you only need to look across the channel to see how over decades the French have supported there own car industry while our car industry either failed or was picked off by other nations car companies

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Hmmm, let me see. I dont remember anyone asking me those specific questions anyway so not sure how i bottled it, but you offer me two scenarios.

1/leaving or remaining
and
2/leaving or remaining

let me make it quite clear......i f##king detest the EU. I do NOT want to remain.

any leaving scenario v remaining......i would NOT pick remain. I voted to Leave.
leaving with a donkey cock in my ear for 20 years or remain?.......i would NOT pick remain.

Bottled it again I see

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Very true this was always a likley outcome Brexit or no Brexit you only need to look across the channel to see how over decades the French have supported there own car industry while our car industry either failed or was picked off by other nations car companies

Excess capacity or not I still find it difficult to imagine Honda wanting to close an efficient factory 10,000 miles closer than Tokyo to one of the company's core markets and benefitting from all the supply chain and sales virtues of actually being inside the single market.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Laws can be changed re allowing referendums. Also, the government gets to decide if any new treaty or treaty amendment would meet the necessary criteria to trigger one... remember Cameron initially promised a referendum on the Lisbon treaty. Point three even if we had one and voted no that wouldn't necessarily stop further integration as the people of France and the Netherlands found out see Eu Consitution - Lisbon Treaty.

Yes the law could be changed, but who would have dared to repeal that one?
A minister does get to decide if a treaty change would be significant enough to trigger a referendum, but the terms are in law, and are open to legal challenge, as Gina Miller did with a ministers interpretation of what they could do in law.
The Treaty had become law before Cameron came to power, nothing he could do after that, so no point in a referendum. What he did do was put the European Union Act 2011 through, to ensure that it could not happen again.
The European Union Act was very controversial as in regard to the EU, it removes the ability of Parliament to implement an act for which it does not have approval for, via referendum. Yes, this law reduced Parliaments sovereignty, ironically.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

1/leaving or remaining
and
2/leaving or remaining

I am well aware you have wide and varied tastes, so the Donkey cock option doesn't surprise me, but you have refused to answer the question before, I don't see the value in trawling back to find the examples. But thank you for doing so now, sort of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here