Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I believe the HoC will reject Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement next Tuesday and I believe HoC will reject No Deal the following day but the question I'm asking myself today is: Which side is Theresa May herself going to support on the Wednesday - reject No Deal or vote for No Deal.

I think she'll give her party a free vote on the Wednesday, rather than whip them and force a significant number of resignations. However, given she has been saying all along "No deal is better than a bad deal", "We will be leaving the European Union on 29th March 2019", "We have to honour the decision taken on 23rd June 2016", "It is the Will of the People to leave the European Union" etc then only voting for No Deal next Wednesday will deliver on her promises.

And if she votes for No Deal in a free vote but the HoC votes against then where does that leave her premiership? She has categorically ruled out a Second Referendum but any extension to Article 50 would have to have purpose. Does she call a General Election and hope she gets a majority? But what would she campaign on if her "Deal" gets defeated a second time and Europe aren't prepared to renegotiate until the UK changes its position?

She may well abstain on Wednesday, and say something like 'I will need to carry out the will of Parliament without being hampered by my own views' or some other 'avoiding the issue' wording - which she is very good at.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
She may well abstain on Wednesday, and say something like 'I will need to carry out the will of Parliament without being hampered by my own views' or some other 'avoiding the issue' wording - which she is very good at.

Her options are these:
1. Vote for ruling out No Deal - this would mean requesting an extension to Article 50, which would go against everything she's said since taking the job as PM. It would also mean the process was out of her control as Parliament could vote for a second Referendum - again, something she has strongly ruled out.
2. Vote for a No Deal - this is logical conclusion given all that she has said about delivering on the Referendum result. However, as leader of her party it would split instantly. In order to regain credibility it would have to embrace Brexit wholeheartedly and purge the party of Remainers. Not only would this alienate the 48% but the economic chaos that will ensue with No Deal will lose her a huge chunk of the 52% as well.
3. Abstain - this may appear to be her only option but by abstaining she would be abdicating leadership and direction at a crucial moment. Abstaining is neither one thing or another, and how could she be seen firstly to Remain, then to embrace Brexit, then to abstain on the question of leaving with No Deal. She would embody the UK's complete indecision on the issue and lose what credibility she still has left.

Over to you Theresa...

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You have fallen for that? Now, that IS project fear. You buy that but refuse to believe the U.K. economy is in trouble. You’ve been ‘ad mate. Genuinely? You really this daft?

If China doesn't pick up soon,and Turkey defaults on it's debt repayments to Italy,the whole shebang could be down the toilet by June.Have a look at Volkswagen group's performance for the last quarter if you want an idea of how badly things are going.If all the class actions being taken against them succeed,they are begging Angie for a bail-out.If you don't believe what the boss of the ECB said,where does that leave your love for experts?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If China doesn't pick up soon,and Turkey defaults on it's debt repayments to Italy,the whole shebang could be down the toilet by June.Have a look at Volkswagen group's performance for the last quarter if you want an idea of how badly things are going.If all the class actions being taken against them succeed,they are begging Angie for a bail-out.If you don't believe what the boss of the ECB said,where does that leave your love for experts?

So we look to weaken ourselves for these troubled times. Yeah.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'm fairly sure you'll ignore this because you won't be able to answer, but where is the EVIDENCE that the EU as an entity is even remotely close to dying? A massive majority across the EU believe that the right to move across 26/27 member states is a good thing, as are the absence of tariffs, as is a guaranteed basic level of social care, as is a basic level of workers rights.

You can argue the toss about the Euro, but your assertion that the EU is dying is quite clearly unadulterated bollocks. I seriously have no idea where you dream up this nonsense. It is absurd. It is so absurd that the man on the street in places like Holland and Germany are incredulous we are doing it to ourselves.

Did you not read the article under my quote?Draghi,the boss of the ECB,is the only person keeping the Euro in it's current form afloat,and he's been trying to retire since last year.Perhaps you are blind to the thousands of billion of bad debt owned by the ECB through quantitative easing?Not seen the yellow-vest protests in France,still going on,despite the BBC stopping the reports?Not noticed the massive increase in the populist,anti-EU vote all across the EU.
None so blind as them that will not see.Unaldulterated bollocks,or somebody not looking through blue-tinted glasses,perhaps the stars have interfered with your vision.Perhaps you should query why the EU are happy with mass unemployment,or perhaps you don't care about young Europeans with no future,just so long as you can drive across 27 countries?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
So we look to weaken ourselves for these troubled times. Yeah.

We look to get out,so when the begging bowl comes out we can choose if we donate or not.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Weren't you saying, only recently that soon an EU army will form and invade Greece in a few years, which was a cause for concern? Hardly the actions of something about to go down the toilet in a few months!

It seems that not only do you not know what you voted for, you also don't know why you voted for it..

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'll tell you what's happened here. And I say this only because not once in three years have you mentioned this. I think what you've gone and done is not really know why you wanted to leave outside a vague recollection of reading somewhere that the EU forces regulations on us and Polish people steal our jobs. You have found this piece of shit quote somewhere on the internet and adopted it as the reason you left. It's pathetic. You're pathetic.

Why do you feel the need to go from a measured post to an abusive one in such a short space of time.Go and get a breath of fresh air before you get another ban.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
But if you take on Norway as is that is leaving the EU. You're now attaching other additional caveats which complicate the process of leaving. If the UK adopted Norway plus and left on the 29th March, on the 30th March the UK would not be in the EU anymore, and as such the democratic mandate would have been fulfilled. We would still have Freedom of Movement, Single Market access, Customs Union and in most respects virtually nothing would actually change, but we would have left the EU.

By your own logic that is therefore an acceptable outcome. Because we will have left. Anything else is your own interpretation, which is worth no more than anyone else's.

So you want us to still have to abide by EU freedom of movement directives and laws and all the subsequent EU regulations and laws that surround freedom of movement.
You want us to remain members of the EU single market and be subject to the decisions of the body that regulates the internal market the ECJ. You want us to to continue our huge payments into the European Union budget and no doubt be subject to the laws and regulations that regulate budgetary administration. Norway is not in the Customs Union but for good measure you say sod that lets be in the Customs Union as well, where we would not be free to seek our own path globally on trade but would instead be subject to the policies of the European Commission whilst at the same time no longer having a commissioner and no longer having a say.
And you call all this removing ourselves from the European Union.
You are a special kind of idiot. I cant imagine what sort of idiots are giving you a thumbs up……actually I can.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why do you feel the need to go from a measured post to an abusive one in such a short space of time.Go and get a breath of fresh air before you get another ban.

Why do I become abusive? Because you’re a **** mate :)

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1104006364278517760[/TWEET]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So you want us to still have to abide by EU freedom of movement directives and laws and all the subsequent EU regulations and laws that surround freedom of movement.
You want us to remain members of the EU single market and be subject to the decisions of the body that regulates the internal market the ECJ. You want us to to continue our huge payments into the European Union budget and no doubt be subject to the laws and regulations that regulate budgetary administration. Norway is not in the Customs Union but for good measure you say sod that lets be in the Customs Union as well, where we would not be free to seek our own path globally on trade but would instead be subject to the policies of the European Commission whilst at the same time no longer having a commissioner and no longer having a say.
And you call all this removing ourselves from the European Union.
You are a special kind of idiot. I cant imagine what sort of idiots are giving you a thumbs up……actually I can.

The above is actually quite worrying in terms of how little you understand EFTA for a start (you may wish to find out what the EFTA court is and does), but also that you seem to deal exclusively in non-sequiteur. At no point in that did I express an opinion one way or the other on Norway Plus, yet you seem to think I'm arguing for it. Blue Valkyrie earlier posted a link to an excellent thread about how the EFTA relationship with the EU works. Please feel free to do the reading before blathering on any further.

[TWEET]1073867169723756544[/TWEET]

What sort of idiot am I? An idiot who does the reading.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The above is actually quite worrying in terms of how little you understand EFTA for a start (you may wish to find out what the EFTA court is and does), but also that you seem to deal exclusively in non-sequiteur. At no point in that did I express an opinion one way or the other on Norway Plus, yet you seem to think I'm arguing for it. Blue Valkyrie earlier posted a link to an excellent thread about how the EFTA relationship with the EU works. Please feel free to do the reading before blathering on any further.

[TWEET]1073867169723756544[/TWEET]

What sort of idiot am I? An idiot who does the reading.

I didnt mention the EFTA court, try and read what i wrote.
Its good you are not proposing or supporting a Norway deal then.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What a desperate speech, on top of Hunt's dangerously aggressive language about our future relationship with the EU, makes for a pretty shit morning for the government

[tweet]1104006084744937480[/tweet]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great speech by the PM

#letsgetitdone

deliver what people voted for

Her speech is straight from the Bob Booker School of Half-Time team talks. How to unlock that tricky EU defence? Shake your fist and shout "Come on, lads!"

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What a desperate speech, on top of Hunt's dangerously aggressive language about our future relationship with the EU, makes for a pretty shit morning for the government

[tweet]1104006084744937480[/tweet]

It all bodes so well for a trade well, if we get that far...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here