Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 22389

I clearly don't have a heart then. What a load of B011ocks !!!! So she has to register for settled status .... a quick and easy process according to many of those that have done it. Really, that video is political claptrap.

It was easy. Done my mum's application. Really hate the way things like this are spun to make it look like she is not welcome and will be removed from the country.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Seems to me that she's commenting on the whole, rather than the simple yet bullshit act that a resident of a country for 59 years has to go through.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
So what about the millions of jobs we have lost over the years to countries like China? Who's fault was that?. All the companies I worked for went years ago, because they simply couldn't compete on price. With Brexit we might lose some jobs, but we might also gain new ones, it's nothing new. I do wish the MSM would also be a bit more positive, and stop giving the impression the car industry is the only thing we have. We do actually manufacture other things.

We need to bear in mind Patrick Minford's view though. That leading Brexit economist suggested that the low or no tariff regime made far more likely by a hard Brexit would lead to the virtual elimination of British manufacturing - although this would not, in his view, be undesirable.

I suspect that this would be an anathema to many Brexit voters, from those who regard British-manufactured products as a matter of patriotic pride to those on the Corbynista left who see the EU as some sort of capitalist plot. It might, sadly, be what they voted for though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It was easy. Done my mum's application. Really hate the way things like this are spun to make it look like she is not welcome and will be removed from the country.

And there in lies the problem .....too many remainers using political spin to try and further their cause of not leaving. I know Stat Brother is a WUM so that's probably why he posted it but that video is truely puke worthy ..... nothing but using an elderly lady for polictical spin.

D

Deleted member 22389

And there in lies the problem .....too many remainers using political spin to try and further their cause of not leaving. I know Stat Brother is a WUM so that's probably why he posted it but that video is truely puke worthy ..... nothing but using an elderly lady for polictical spin.

Puke worthy a million times over. Like I said MSM whipping people up again.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Not just remainers though, his link was from STV and this issue is manna from heaven for the nationalist cause in Scotland - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-italians-facing-windrush-ordeal-14082241

Th' evil Sassenach ur making auld lassies apply fur settled status noo fur o' Brexit !

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It must be plain to anyone with eyes and ears that the future of the whole UK car industry is at stake here, so it is shocking to hear so many Conservatives championing Leave Now and - by doing so - condemning it to a quick and unpleasant death.

The last time the Tories showed this contempt for such a large single industry was the mid-80s and the Miner's Strike.

Absolutely. Anyone connected with the car industry who voted out would need to have a good hard look at themselves. It was always the one industry that was going to be the most vulnerable. I don't know if many employees did vote out but I bet some did. Nissan Sunderland comes to mind.

I can understand pensioners voting out. They don't have jobs to lose and are more than happy for others to take any pain from any Brexit fallout but Car workers?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We need to bear in mind Patrick Minford's view though. That leading Brexit economist suggested that the low or no tariff regime made far more likely by a hard Brexit would lead to the virtual elimination of British manufacturing - although this would not, in his view, be undesirable.

I suspect that this would be an anathema to many Brexit voters, from those who regard British-manufactured products as a matter of patriotic pride to those on the Corbynista left who see the EU as some sort of capitalist plot. It might, sadly, be what they voted for though.

Would that be the same Patrick Minford is appears to be Jacob Rees Mogg's sole source of economic guidance ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
There will be plenty of "queue jumpers" who don't understand they need to register. Prepare for Windrush 2.0.

Just a 10% error rate/people who don't apply properly etc is going to be in the hundreds of thousands.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
All you bexiteers are getting it wrong. That video wasn't saying she CAN'T stay here, just that she MIGHT not be able to stay. A bit like this, right?

GettyImages-576855022.jpg

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So what about the millions of jobs we have lost over the years to countries like China? Who's fault was that?. All the companies I worked for went years ago, because they simply couldn't compete on price. With Brexit we might lose some jobs, but we might also gain new ones, it's nothing new. I do wish the MSM would also be a bit more positive, and stop giving the impression the car industry is the only thing we have. We do actually manufacture other things.

We're not losing all these automotive jobs because of price, we're losing them because the UK government seems hellbent to imposing trade sanctions on ourselves. BMW would not be considering the closure of Cowley without Brexit, its a highly productive plant. BMW want Mini in Oxford, its an iconic brand known throughout the world

Of course its not just about BMW jobs if it closes its also the whole eco system and industry built around the plant.

Destroying automotive manufacturing industry is hundreds of thousands of jobs. Its a big deal and many will have nowhere to go.

Maybe Jefferson Group might be able to help with some placements?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I clearly don't have a heart then. What a load of B011ocks !!!! So she has to register for settled status .... a quick and easy process according to many of those that have done it. Really, that video is political claptrap.

I'm know you're not high on compassion. But wondered if you had an android 6.0 smartphone with NFC you could loan to her?

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I have already posted the inadequacies of this process, having seen tweets from people who have been turned down. One woman was turned down because she 'couldn't' provide evidence of employment in 2015, despite having been the same job for 15 years. It is further back in this thread.

Vote Leave gave unequivocal assurances that any new immigration system would not affect EU citizens already in the country. “There will be no change for EU citizens already lawfully resident in the UK,” it said, promising on its website that such people would “automatically be granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK and will be treated no less favourably than they are at present”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...or-eu-citizens-in-britain-and-brits-in-europe

Then Theresa May labelled them queue jumpers!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I have already posted the inadequacies of this process, having seen tweets from people who have been turned down. One woman was turned down because she 'couldn't' provide evidence of employment in 2015, despite having been the same job for 15 years. It is further back in this thread.

Then Theresa May labelled them queue jumpers!

More detail required ..... why couldn't she provide evidence of her employment in 2015 ..... no P60 ? Why not .... you're told to keep them ? HMRC hold records going back further than that so why hasn't she spoken to them .... they've always been very helpful when I've rung them. Why can't her employer provide this evidence ? So was she working on the black market ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
More detail required ..... why couldn't she provide evidence of her employment in 2015 ..... no P60 ? Why not .... you're told to keep them ? HMRC hold records going back further than that so why hasn't she spoken to them .... they've always been very helpful when I've rung them. Why can't her employer provide this evidence ? So was she working on the black market ?

No idea why the process would make them feel like 2nd class citizens.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I'm know you're not high on compassion. But wondered if you had an android 6.0 smartphone with NFC you could loan to her?

I'm sure one of the family she mentions must have a PC or an Android device but if need be yes. Feel free to put her in touch with me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here