Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Section 9, pages 25-30, of this parliamentary research briefing paper states in detail the official Article 127/EEA position and why it wasn't invoked - https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8129#fullreport
That is the reason.

But the interesting part is the 'unintended' consequence that it makes an emergency plan B after the *no deal* collapse easier.

After all, Hammond did strangely say in a speech recently words to the effect that 'perhaps the public had to experience the disaster to be persuaded'.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
More capital flight this morning...

Aviva to move £9bn to Ireland in preparation for hard Brexit

Every day it just gets better and better and better...

D

Deleted member 22389

[tweet]1098343584955289600[/tweet]
[tweet]1098486038182408192[/tweet]
[tweet]1098301481470578690[/tweet]

Last edited by a moderator:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
More capital flight this morning...

Aviva to move £9bn to Ireland in preparation for hard Brexit

Every day it just gets better and better and better...

You might want to ask, why it has taken them so long to find a new Chief Exec?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So, when we blow our brains out economically there is a chance of the bullet passing through and taking out some of the Irish working class as well ?

Well what are we waiting for ???

Wish Brexiteers were as concerned about the well being of the UK as they were about Irish dairy farmers, German car workers and Italian viticulture

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I see we are launching Messrs Barclay and Cox at the EU today. Given the latter's preference for bluster, rhetoric and Rumpole-impersonation, I'm not quite sure what our European friends will make of him but who knows? The talent cupboard is looking a little bare.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I see we are launching Messrs Barclay and Cox at the EU today. Given the latter's preference for bluster, rhetoric and Rumpole-impersonation, I'm not quite sure what our European friends will make of him but who knows? The talent cupboard is looking a little bare.
2 more Nero impersonators fiddling while the UK is 5 weeks away from burning.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I'm more concerned about the plight of our own farmers, it really is heads "they lose", tails "they lose" where its Liam's zero tariff fantasy or Gove's 11th hour mis-guided plan

But just remember you had a special part in it, sleep well

For UK farmers having to be weaned off CAP there will be challenges, however these are not insurmountable. Protecting UK farmers intrrests will be easier than protecting EU farmers interests with the far greater variety of produce cultivated.

So, on that basis the UK consumers should benefit from a move away from EU tarriffs on stuff we dont produce.

Feel free to argue for the benefits of the EU CAP to the consumer, that would be a first on this thread.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
So, when we blow our brains out economically there is a chance of the bullet passing through and taking out some of the Irish working class as well ?

Well what are we waiting for ???

Absolutely not but demonstrating that there will be catastrophic consequences of no deal to Ireland’s biggest industry sector tells you that in spite of the ongoing media narrative that Ireland/EY are comfortable no deal and the backstop, the reality is very different.

That is why to get a good deal, no deal has to be on the table.

Anyone not understanding that has never been in a negotiation before, or wants a bad deal.

I want a deal, but i want a good deal.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Absolutely not but demonstrating that there will be catastrophic consequences of no deal to Ireland’s biggest industry sector tells you that in spite of the ongoing media narrative that Ireland/EY are comfortable no deal and the backstop, the reality is very different.

Anyone not understanding that has never been in a negotiation before, or wants a bad deal.

What do you define as a good deal? I'm curious how realistic your expectations are....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Has Barclay learnt the President of the European Commission's name yet?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

No deal isn't and has never been 'on the table'.

And anyone not understanding that has never been involved in international trade negotiation where everyone knows what options everyone else has down to the finest detail. It's not like negotiating to buy a used car.

3 days of a dredger and 80 lorries and a dustcart going down the M20 still doesn't make 'no deal' possible and the UK and the EU both know this :shrug:

Something I posted yesterday that you should be able to understand

It's just a relief to know that all the Infrastructure and systems to manage and charge these new import tariffs will currently be well through their User Acceptance Testing and Load Testing and all the staff will currently be getting trained to operate all these new systems, because with 38 days to go, it could be a little tight otherwise.

(Although, obviously, it's all being done in secret because we don't want the EU to know).

At least we are on our way :lolol:

There are lots of things that could happen on 29th March but leaving with 'no deal' is not one of them.

I would say that I'm a little surprised you could be so naive, but maybe not.

Don't forget, patience is a virtue

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here