Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's not a tangent you idiot.

The UK schedules were submitted to the WTO at the back end of July last year based on the EU schedules we currently use. Surprisingly over 20 countries immediately objected to the UK using the EU negotiated schedules and are currently blocking any negotiations on the UK schedules. (These include Russia, USA, Australia and New Zealand).

This means that we currently have no UK schedules and will not have in the next 38 days.

This, in turn, means that the UK will have to use the WTO default tariffs as we have no agreed schedule of our own and therefor cannot set our own rates :shrug:

It is a tangent you cretin. Try and stick to the point and answer the question.

Are you saying its not the UK that submits its own tariff rate ceiling commitment as part of its schedule and its not the UK that chooses what applied rates it wants to charge for imports?
Surely you know if it is the UK that submits its own tariff commitments and applied rates or someone else that submits them

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
It is a tangent you cretin. Try and stick to the point and answer the question.

Are you saying its not the UK that submits its own tariff rate ceiling commitment as part of its schedule and its not the UK that chooses what applied rates it wants to charge for imports?
Surely you know if it is the UK that submits its own tariff commitments and applied rates or someone else that submits them

Yes the UK chooses and submits them. Who do you think they submit them to and for what purpose ?

They submit them to the WTO for negotiation and agreement as I have already explained above. They haven't and won't be agreed in the next 38 days, so rather like yourself, they are completely pointless hence we will be on WTO defaults.

I know you're really not this thick, so why are you still digging yourself deeper and deeper. Try saying 'apparently I was wrong and we are using WTO defaults'. You may find it cathartic :lolol:

I'm off out for dinner anyway :wave:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes the UK chooses and submits them. Who do you think they submit them to and for what purpose ?

They submit them to the WTO for negotiation and agreement as I have already explained above. They haven't and won't be agreed in the next 38 days, so rather like yourself, they are completely pointless hence we will be on WTO defaults.

I know you're really not this thick, so why are you still digging yourself deeper and deeper. Try saying 'apparently I was wrong and we are using WTO defaults'. You may find it cathartic :lolol:

I'm off out for dinner anyway :wave:

Finally, so you accept we submit our own tariff rate commitment as part of our schedule, and you accept when the time comes it is the UK that sets its applied tariff import rates as confirmed by Gove when he indicates we wont set import rates for food at 0% but there will be protectionist measures for example on lamb imports, ie we will be choosing the applied import rates ourselves and they may differ across product lines.

The tariff rate commitment which we submit as part of our schedule is the ceiling rate, ie the maximum import rate we will charge on a product and our commitment not to exceed that rate. The applied rate is the rate we will actually apply to imports. Obviously we dont need to set these now as we still dont know the outcome, and the applied rates are not part of our schedule submission. So which rate is it you are referring to as the "WTO default" one.......the ceiling rate or the applied rate?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
1. Ted Heath wasn't PM for the 1975 referendum. He wasn't even leader of The Tory party.
2. 'Ever Closer Union' is mentioned on page 2 of the 1957 Treaty of Rome. - https://ec.europa.eu/romania/sites/romania/files/tratatul_de_la_roma.pdf

Did Michael Foot, Tony Benn, Enoch Powell et al not spot this this blindingly obvious fact then when campaigning for a 'no' vote?

The future of the EU and the UK’s part within it was known before we even joined.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2002/jan/01/uk.euro

Tories and their avarice for money and power can never be trusted........ever.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Looks to me that if Gove gets what he (i.e the farmers) wants, then he will impose tariffs on food imports. Given that this will include a tariff on imports from the EU - which were previously tariff-free- then the net result will be increased food costs?

Does this look like a good idea to anyone, especially given that our farmers will now have an EU tariff wall to climb over?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You see, everyone constantly talking Brexit down, when these go ahead types are perfectly positioned to see the benefits.

I bet they believed.

I've got a funny feeling that [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION], [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION], [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION], [MENTION=17469]melias shoes[/MENTION], [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION], [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] etc etc will currently be moving their assets offshore and sorting out their residencies preparing for Brexit whilst all the Remoaners just keep sitting around posting links that make Brexit look bad :shrug:

A handful of rich influential Tories, against the overwhelming majority of rich influential Tories.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ses-were-only-group-to-vote-to-stay-in-the-e/

I know, you think the working class voted to stay.........ad infinitum.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's not a tangent you idiot.

The UK schedules were submitted to the WTO at the back end of July last year based on the EU schedules we currently use. Unsurprisingly over 20 countries immediately objected to the UK using the EU negotiated schedules (on account of the UK not being the largest trading bloc in the world) and are currently blocking any negotiations on the UK schedules. (These include Russia, USA, Australia and New Zealand).

This means that we currently have no UK schedules and will not have in the next 38 days.

This, in turn, means that the UK will have to use the WTO default tariffs as we have no agreed schedule of our own and therefor cannot set our own rates.

Penny dropped yet :shrug:

Brexiteers really need to understand how the WTO works, they should have learnt from you by now.

Russia has the potential has make life hell for us

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Looks like Gove has admitted that there will be delays at the French border as any UK animal exports will need to be checked...…………………..No deal is really not shaping up too well. Surely it can't happen? Can it?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Looks like Gove has admitted that there will be delays at the French border as any UK animal exports will need to be checked...…………………..No deal is really not shaping up too well. Surely it can't happen? Can it?

What happened to Liam Fox's zero tariff idea, he seems to have gone to ground again. If parliament doesn't try and take no deal off the table end the end of the month can see panic buying starting...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
People have had enough of exports.*

[tweet]1097852933608259584[/tweet]

*Sadly not my line.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Brexiteers really need to understand how the WTO works, they should have learnt from you by now.

Russia has the potential has make life hell for us

Imagine if Russia could find a way to break apart the nations of the UK, devastate our economy and military budget, and make us see our allies as hated demons - all without firing a shot.

There's a hybrid war going on and we will be comprehensively defeated in under 6 weeks time ( as things stand with *no deal* ).

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Imagine if Russia could find a way to break apart the nations of the UK, devastate our economy and military budget, and make us see our allies as hated demons - all without firing a shot.

There's a hybrid war going on and we will be comprehensively defeated in under 6 weeks time ( as things stand with *no deal* ).

Then they move in on Ukraine without any opposition.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Then they move in on Ukraine without any opposition.
Bingo.

And look out for the merger with Belarus being talked about.

This means :

1. Putin gets a new Russia-Belarus constitution without the pesky 2 consecutive term limit as President.

2. Russian-Belarus border would be much closer to Kyiv for easy tank access.

3. The Suwalki gap between Kaliningrad and Russia-Belarus looks ripe for closing after Trump has pulled the US out of NATO and the UK is out of the game. Bye bye Baltic States.

USSR 2 is coming.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bingo.

And look out for the merger with Belarus being talked about.

This means :

1. Putin gets a new Russia-Belarus constitution without the pesky 2 consecutive term limit as President.

2. Russian-Belarus border would be much closer to Kyiv for easy tank access.

3. The Suwalki gap between Kaliningrad and Russia-Belarus looks ripe for closing after Trump has pulled the US out of NATO and the UK is out of the game. Bye bye Baltic States.

USSR 2 is coming.

Lucky for us then that we'll have so many more new hospitals.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
you both seem to be suggesting the only opposition to Russia is the UK, and the EU wont do anything?

Do we? How do you reach that conclusion? A strong EU would stand up to Russia.

Glastnost came about because of economic sanctions. You don't always need an army to defeat an enemy.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Regulations also change our relationship ...... now do we get the chance to veto them or have a referendum on them ? Ahhhhhh ...... :facepalm:

Regulations do not change our relationship, they change the law, never what areas of Law the EU has the right to regulate. The EU can only issue regulations concerning matters we have agreed to, and they are passed by the EU parliament, which we have seats on. Our representatives play their part.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here