Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cameron is at fault for most of this.

But leave had no plan, and if they did it was unrealistic and they had no idea how to work it.

The government should have tabled a motion for a referendum (given they'd promised one), but only at such time as a Leave coalition of MPs had formed, had a chance to canvas opinion, and formed a policy document that in turn could have formed an accountable manifesto for an organised Leave campaign. These wouldn't have necessarily been promises, but they could have been accountable goals and aims and we could have held to account lies such as £350m to the NHS every week.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
HANG ON. You mean as I voted remain I get a hand job from nigella? Oh Christ , where do I go?

*Insert gag about restricting freedom of movement here*

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
True dat blood.

[tweet]1093162684286156800[/tweet]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Pleasing to see the #teameu crew on here standing by their man defending him to the hilt as he makes unhelpful comments at this important stage of negotiations.

european-union-eu-flag-waving-gif-animation-8.gif

:salute:

And no Brexiters have ever made unhelpful comments, of course.......😅😅

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Well there goes any chance of a favourable second referendum.
Donald to the east of me Donald to the west here I am stuck in the middle of you

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Such a referendum question wouldn't be permitted because "No Deal" is not something which could get through the electoral commission, .

I think we should just stick with your false interpretation. Loads of remoaners who wanted a second referendum with 3 options of deal/no deal/remain will just have to be disappointed that you have thrown their referendum in the bin because no deal as a question option is now impossible.
Happy days.

They didn't give the UK anything because the UK had power to impose it's own restrictions already to FOM, and indeed almost all other EU countries do. Why give someone something they already have?

We never had the power though whilst being in the EU to place restrictions on EU citizens and make them subject to the same controls of visas and quotas as non EU citizens.
Time limited 7 year restrictions that we didn’t use on the EU8 would have ended in 2011 anyway and are irrelevant to the still high numbers that exist today, the full 7 year restrictions on Bulgaria and Romania we did use hasn’t stopped the large numbers of them entering since restrictions ended.
And checking up on jobseekers months after they have already crossed the border and having to prove in each individual case that they are not actually looking for work and also have no possibility of ever being employed is not adequate border control, never has been and never will be. The numbers that it would be applicable to anyway amongst registered jobseekers are tiny compared to the tens of thousands that enter who are not long term jobseekers anyway.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Pleasing to see the #teameu crew on here standing by their man defending him to the hilt as he makes unhelpful comments at this important stage of negotiations.

european-union-eu-flag-waving-gif-animation-8.gif

:salute:

I'm struggling to recall you criticising Johnson when he compared the EU to the Third Reich, or Francois when he went off on a xenophobic rant because of the nationality of an Airbus executive.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm struggling to recall you criticising Johnson when he compared the EU to the Third Reich, or Francois when he went off on a xenophobic rant because of the nationality of an Airbus executive.

Or Jeremy Hunt as Foreign Secretary when he likened it to The Soviet Union. (That didn't go down too well in the Baltic states as I recall.)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I agree with Tusk.

When the *no deal* storm hits, when millions are out work, when savings and pensions are devalued, when there is food shortages, when the army is on the streets, when we are under Civil Contingencies Act misery etc. ....

...then there is a small group of lying enablers that sold this snake oil who deserve this contempt.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I agree with Tusk.

When the *no deal* storm hits, when millions are out work, when savings and pensions are devalued, when there is food shortages, when the army is on the streets, when we are under Civil Contingencies Act misery etc. ....

...then there is a small group of lying enablers who sold this snake oil who deserve this contempt.

They will say it was just a negotiating tactic, it was never meant to actually happen, which I believe is true and is their rationale, no one is actually wanting to have a head on collision when they play chicken, everyone that ends up in one really believed the other side would swerve.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
They will say it was just a negotiating tactic, it was never meant to actually happen, which I believe is true and is their rationale, no one is actually wanting to have a head on collision when they play chicken, everyone that ends up in one really believed the other side would swerve.

Never mind the economic fallout for both sides in a no deal, the problem would be the political, social, reputational and diplomatic bad blood and damage we're going to cause for ourselves. It'll take more than a generation to repair it because we'll be held in complete and utter contempt.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

The trouble is they've been saying it so long, that the more gullible have been taken in completely by it.

My advice to anyone who wants to play chicken is make sure you're sat in the articulated lorry and not the car before you decide you want to play :shrug:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here