Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Nice of you to join in.I must have learned everything from you,and your other self,as both of you definitely make a complete one.

WTAF are you even trying to say?

Is this some sort of playground insult that grown ups don't get?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I'll put my hand up for all in. But I guess I'm biased as I already live in the EZ, have my business (and do most of my business) in the EZ and fully intend to stay in the EZ.

Sure, and that’s logical too, those counties in the EZ have taken the most steps to integrate behind the euro, and it’s necessary to complete the journey to full economic union to ensure the euro operates in the same way as other currencies.

I can fully understand why people in the EZ would be protective of that position.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
It's a strange argument from a Brexiteer. Pretty much every one I've seen says that attaining independence was worth an economic hit (that was certainly my view when I voted, what I didn't expect was the complete botch job that the government made of negotiations), so I'm not sure why different criteria should apply to Scotland.

If you're pro-Brexit, then you really should be pro-Scottish independence - there's little difference

I haven’t indicated I’m anti Scottish independence anywhere.......feel free to correct me.

There are some parallels between indyref and Brexit, and back in 2016 when the Brexit ref question was agreed, my view was that the question on the Brexit ballot paper should have been on the same basis of the question that the Scots were asked; which was along the lines do you want [Scotland/GB] to be an independent country?

Some parallels accepted there are also material differences, and the key one is currency. Scotland in indyref was going to share sterling which by any measure would not mean independence, and certainly not independence from “English” influence, in fact it would have been a far worse position.

The Scots could not afford their own, at debt level a Scottish pound would have devalued to the rUK alternative and the SNP would have been finished (a re-run of the Darian project). That left going into the euro, but that was politically unpopular.

Scottish independence now is economically a clearer argument, join the euro. This is what the SNP advocate because if they join the EU then they will have the euro. Being in the EZ is not independence.

To that extent the savvy Scottish nationalists would not accept that, a Scottish currency is the answer, the trick would be to get the assets up to a level that would allow the Scottish pound to compete with the rUK one.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...oil-figures-13-times-higher-than-reality.html

Trouble is that no-one trusts the SNP anymore.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
- Production at the Ford Aquitaine Industries plant in Bordeaux, France, which manufactures small automatic transmissions, will end in August 2019.

- Formal discussions have begun between Ford and its Works Council to end production of the C-MAX and Grand C-MAX at the Saarlouis Body and Assembly Plant in Germany.

- Ford is undertaking a strategic review of Ford Sollers, its joint venture in Russia. Several significant restructuring options for Ford Sollers are being considered by Ford and its partner, Sollers PJSC. A decision is expected in the second quarter.

- Ford plans to consolidate its UK headquarters and Ford Credit Europe’s headquarters at the Ford Dunton Technical Center in South East Essex. The action is subject to union consultation and local approvals.

Ford of all firms have some neck with their threat.......we need to get our money back.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/taxpayers-millions-fuel-ford-transit-move-to-turkey-sjsdcmsn23k

And it’s not over yet, I wonder if VW jobs going from the EU to Turkey will be put down to Brexit?

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/amp/volkswagen-ford-consider-building-vans-in-turkey-140549

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
... my view was that the question on the Brexit ballot paper should have been on the same basis of the question that the Scots were asked; which was along the lines do you want [Scotland/GB] to be an independent country?

That would have been a pretty crap question to be honest considering you would be disregarding Northern Ireland entirely and the fact that the UK is already an independent country.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its been no secret for a while now that there is no majority in parliament for any form of Brexit.

But yesterday's defeat took things to another level its clear now that there is not even a majority for the imaginary things MPs had only recently given a majority to.

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/201...exit-defeat-the-edifice-of-nonsense-comes-tum

The rudderless ship May sails closer and closer to the iceberg, we're almost at high noon.

Take back control or face the consequences...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Nail on the heat from BBC QT last night and the sentiment of thousands of many businesses all over the UK, many about to make crisis decisions

https://twitter.com/i/status/1096185004609155073

They don't want to move operations offshore but many be forced into it. For Ireland and Netherlands it may offset some of their Brexit loses but for us its a disaster

But I'm sure Mogg, Johnson and Farage will be fine

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Its been no secret for a while now that there is no majority in parliament for any form of Brexit.

But yesterday's defeat took things to another level its clear now that there is not even a majority for the imaginary things MPs had only recently given a majority to.

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/201...exit-defeat-the-edifice-of-nonsense-comes-tum

The rudderless ship May sails closer and closer to the iceberg, we're almost at high noon.

Take back control or face the consequences...

I think the Titanic/iceberg metaphor works well on this..... and Captain May and her officers are demanding that the iceberg must move!

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I haven’t indicated I’m anti Scottish independence anywhere.......feel free to correct me.

There are some parallels between indyref and Brexit, and back in 2016 when the Brexit ref question was agreed, my view was that the question on the Brexit ballot paper should have been on the same basis of the question that the Scots were asked; which was along the lines do you want [Scotland/GB] to be an independent country?

Some parallels accepted there are also material differences, and the key one is currency. Scotland in indyref was going to share sterling which by any measure would not mean independence, and certainly not independence from “English” influence, in fact it would have been a far worse position.

The Scots could not afford their own, at debt level a Scottish pound would have devalued to the rUK alternative and the SNP would have been finished (a re-run of the Darian project). That left going into the euro, but that was politically unpopular.

Scottish independence now is economically a clearer argument, join the euro. This is what the SNP advocate because if they join the EU then they will have the euro. Being in the EZ is not independence.

To that extent the savvy Scottish nationalists would not accept that, a Scottish currency is the answer, the trick would be to get the assets up to a level that would allow the Scottish pound to compete with the rUK one.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...oil-figures-13-times-higher-than-reality.html

Trouble is that no-one trusts the SNP anymore.

Scotland will just want to distance themselves as much as they can from post-Brexit England. They are not going to want to be dragged into the exclusive quagmire of separatism and economic pit we are headed towards.

Their first ref was about an ideal, their second will be about survival. Just as ours will be.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think this just about explains why the current Labour leadership are almost as contemptible as the useless nasty pasty in power:

[tweet]1096330962781253633[/tweet]

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I think this just about explains why the current Labour leadership are almost as contemptible as the useless nasty pasty in power:

[tweet]1096330962781253633[/tweet]

This would just take us back two weeks and again unite the Tories behind May again! They have the arithmetic in the house and they will always fall in behind May regardless, in any confidence vote, Jeremy has to be smart with his tactics and I'm not at all sure he will ever be clever enough.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
That would have been a pretty crap question to be honest considering you would be disregarding Northern Ireland entirely and the fact that the UK is already an independent country.

10/10 for pedantry.

Crap or not it is easy to understand, and if the Brexit negotiations have demonstrated, the concept that we are an independent country in the EU is nonsense.

D

Deleted member 22389

Ford of all firms have some neck with their threat.......we need to get our money back.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/taxpayers-millions-fuel-ford-transit-move-to-turkey-sjsdcmsn23k

And it’s not over yet, I wonder if VW jobs going from the EU to Turkey will be put down to Brexit?

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/amp/volkswagen-ford-consider-building-vans-in-turkey-140549

That will never be reported in our MSM, nor will they mention any manufacturing jobs that are created in this country. All they are interested in doing is creating doom and gloom, creating panic to those who get easily sucked in by the headlines.

[tweet]1096306599247953920[/tweet]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
10/10 for pedantry.

Crap or not it is easy to understand, and if the Brexit negotiations have demonstrated, the concept that we are an independent country in the EU is nonsense.
I think your last point is wrong. We are an independent country and the fact that we can simply walk away from the EU next month proves it.

The kerfuffle of the past two years has not been been about whether we can leave the EU. It has been about our ability to have some cake while eating it. The Leave campaigners said we could have most of the benefits of membership and few of the obligations whilst simultaneously cracking bilateral trade agreements around the world. Unfortunately, they were lying ********.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here