Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My main point was people who lead the government both PM and a majority in the cabinet should actually believe in a course of action to have any chance of delivering it succesfully. It would also mean Brexiteers in government having campaigned for it would be entirely responsible for delivering on promises made.

But, as I pointed out yesterday (and you totally ignored), you make it sound like some sort of establishment plot. The Tory party membership is overwhemingly pro-Brexit and would easily have voted in a Brexiteer. It didn't because none wished to go forward to a ballot of members. Johnson would have won easily if he'd stood, as would Leadsom ... but they didn't wish to.

May has been careful to ensure that the cabinet is equally divided between Remainers and Brexiteers and the key Brexit jobs have all gone to Leavers. So to say that "both PM and a majority in the cabinet should actually believe in a course of action to have any chance of delivering it succesfully" is just total nonsense.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Well the Chilli Con started his suck back yesterday, keep up, three months ago the world was going to end and now He’s seriously back peddling.

His comment today was that he thought Britain would see an 8% drop in GDP and not the forecast 11%.

Yay, we're only going to be really ****ed rather than truly ****ed!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yes it was a pro-remain paper before the vote and now understands the democratic vote must be respected and brexit must happen, just like our PM, who supported remain prior to the vote but understands democratic process and that Leave won and therefore the decision to Leave given by the people must be adhered to,what do you find so confusing about that?

Nice non-sequiteur. So you're now saying that as long as we Leave it doesn't matter how? Norway Plus then?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Nice non-sequiteur. So you're now saying that as long as we Leave it doesn't matter how? Norway Plus then?

I was saying, which you don’t seem to understand, that if the outcome of the vote on deciding to Leave the EU or Remain in the EU gives a decision to Leave,then that democratic decision should be respected and we leave the European Union not remain in the European Union. Which part of that do you not understand.
If you can persuade the European Union to allow the UK to have a Norway type deal where the UK is exempt from EU laws and rules, exempt from EU budgetary contributions, exempt from EU freedom of movement directives and legislation and persuade Norway to let us be in a club that Norway doesn’t want us to be it…..then good luck.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The UK offered Scotland a chance to have its own Parliament - which it took by a large majority - and now they elect MSPs, raise their own taxes, run much of the country themselves, yet when it votes unequivocally to Remain it is told it must Leave because it is the 'Will of the People'. That is f*cked up democracy.

If the UK stopped supporting Scotland IE sending them money so they can offer free uni places, free prescription and so on how long would they last ??. The EU wouldn't support them. Freedom is great if you can afford it Scotland cannot.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If we go all in as you suggest no deal could become a self-fulfilling destination as we have spent all the money, prepared as much as possible so reducing the impact. It's a matter of degree, the governments preparations have been late in the day and not well funded. There is plenty of scope to make them more credible but not go all in.

As we don't appear to know what we are doing I doubt the EU would agree they know our every move. The EU side have been making preparations for no deal so they do think it's an option. :shrug:

It's unlikely but still possible.

So you think that if we only built half the car parks, half the customs posts in NI, commissioned half the IT systems and infrastructure and recruited half the staff, that may be enough to fool the EU into thinking we would go 'no deal' ?

Who knows, it could work. (As long as we don't award any of the contracts to European companies, employ any Europeans in any management roles and the EU isn't paying too much attention) :wink:

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My main reason for voting Leave,and one I have mentioned numerous times,is I want out before the EU dies.With its central banking,currency based on bad debt,and colossal bureaucracy,it's just like the USSR revisited.Brexit might be financially damaging,but it won't be as bad as staying in.It's dying,and trying to save it as a whole means the death of Europe.Only a two-tier Euro holds out some hope,but it's politically unacceptable.Even Draghi can't lighten the gloom.

View attachment 105454

You have fallen for that? Now, that IS project fear. You buy that but refuse to believe the U.K. economy is in trouble. You’ve been ‘ad mate. Genuinely? You really this daft?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I heard last night that one of the (genuine) rising stars has been lined up as new Permanent Secretary for DExEU taking over on the day we 'leave'.

So by appointing them, the Government obviously expects it to be wrapped up quickly, no extensions and not going on for years and years and years then ???

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/5914ce14-4129-11e9-889c-a7e27b96460c

The civil servant in charge of Britain’s no-deal Brexit preparations is to leave the civil service two days after he may have to put those plans into effect.

Philip Rycroft is to take early retirement from his job as permanent secretary at the Department for Exiting the European Union on March 31. He is 57.

A senior Whitehall source admitted that the timing of Mr Rycroft’s departure was “not ideal” but that it was a decision that had been taken months ago when it was assumed a Brexit deal would have been finalised. They said that Mr Rycroft, who lives in Scotland but commutes to London each week, had made clear last year that he did not want to continue in the job after Brexit.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Crucial final weekend of 'negotiations' coming up now over the Irish backstop before the big vote next week. The diplomatic stakes are high and a gaffe or remarks by a senior member of HM Government that be construed as 'insensitive and wrong' by our negotiating partners and something said that might cause 'deep offence' could scupper things greatly. So it's just as well that nobody's done that in the build up.................oh.

B1-0058-_Read-Only_.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not unicorns, as they don't exist, a customs deal perhaps using ideas in here :

https://efta4uk.co.uk/efta-customs-union-2-0/

It looks excellent for Norway, reflecting their geography, the make up of their GDP and their political background.

I wonder if British Governments of all political hues had spent the last 40 years getting the right deal for Britain (no euro, no schengen, vetoes, exceptions, rebates etc etc) what it would look like ???

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Crucial final weekend of 'negotiations' coming up now over the Irish backstop before the big vote next week. The diplomatic stakes are high and a gaffe or remarks by a senior member of HM Government that be construed as 'insensitive and wrong' by our negotiating partners and something said that might cause 'deep offence' could scupper things greatly. So it's just as well that nobody's done that in the build up.................oh.

View attachment 105458

Wonder if she'd ever been to NI prior to getting the job?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I understand that the New permanent Secretary is very well liked within her current department and is considered to be extremely capable and bright.

It would be a very strange decision to throw her whole career away by agreeing to take responsibility for 'no deal' on the day it happened, wouldn't it ?

I just Googled it. Clare Moriarty from DEFRA is her name.

Quoted as saying to MP's last year that the risks around Brexit 'Keep me awake at night'. Another #remoaner as well as a #expert then. :rolleyes:

https://www.civilserviceworld.com/a...ces-rycroft-dexeu-perm-sec-retires-brexit-day

In all seriousness, it's good to have a grown up like her working with Stephen Barclay though.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Wonder if she'd ever been to NI prior to getting the job?

As it was a scary place according to her and she was surprised to learn people vote along sectarian lines, I think her prior knowledge of Northern Ireland was just watching Gloria Hunniford on Strictly Come Dancing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here