Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We were growing faster than Germany prior to the referendum, so it is not ridiculous to suggest we would be now is it?

About 2.5% delta between us and Germany since mid 2016. Does anyone think we will outstrip them for growth in the next 5 years?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brexit, as per May's red lines from her fantasy Mansion House speech, could never happen for Northern Ireland as well unless The Good Friday agreement was ripped up. Unless we're now going for a full permanent UK wide customs union/EEA option etc, it's the Withdrawal Agreement with backstop, or no deal and rip up the GFA. The backstop isn't going to be altered. The WA was the best and only outcome on May's red lines. Unless they change, we are where we are and stuck with the backstop if we want to leave with the WA deal.

All of that I agree with. I'm just taking issue with you accusing [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] of being a smug Brexiteer for posting the fact that the wishy-washy nature of the backstop never solved anything because it was artificial. The fact that May negotiated it, brought it back to parliament and had it thrown out by 260 votes pretty much proves the point. It was just May negotiating something she had no right to negotiate because she had no mandate. It's just more incompetence on her part really, she's a terrible politician.

She may as well have come back with a deal that said Brexit was all agreed as long as we buy a yacht for every single family in Portugal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And if they can't get a deal through?
Well as things stand, they can't get it through, and we really don't know what's going to happen next. It's a shit show. But that doesn't mean you can claim our government are happy to rip up the GFA, it certainly seems that that isn't the case.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You can see the DUP are loving this.

Smugly standing up in parliament knowing they have ultimate control.

Held to ransom by terrorists.

Thought IRA/Sinn Fein wouldn't take up their seats?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
All of that I agree with. I'm just taking issue with you accusing [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] of being a smug Brexiteer for posting the fact that the wishy-washy nature of the backstop never solved anything because it was artificial. The fact that May negotiated it, brought it back to parliament and had it thrown out by 260 votes pretty much proves the point. It was just May negotiating something she had no right to negotiate because she had no mandate. It's just more incompetence on her part really, she's a terrible politician.

She may as well have come back with a deal that said Brexit was all agreed as long as we buy a yacht for every single family in Portugal.

I agree with you on that. It's the blaming of The EU on the backstop I take umbrage with. May's red lines on Brexit are the problem. We have an open land border with an EU country that does want to leave The EU, that we have a very chequered, violent history with in regards to that border. We have an international peace agreement, then fantasy red lines on Brexit emerge, that unless Northern Ireland is sold down the river, that peace agreement becomes redundant based on.

In explanations to EU colleagues on the backstop, Varadkar is reported to have shown photos of dead HMRC and Revenue officers from the past as to why it is needed. Again, it's needed because of May's red lines, which were all for the benefit of her predominately English Brexiteer colleagues who think a 310 mile border with 270 odd crossings and all that history can be fixed with non-existent technology. The EU initially suggested a border down the Irish sea for example - it was Dublin straight away pointing out the problems that would cause in the north and in London. Dublin and London agreed this as much needed insurance. This version of Brexit is the problem, not The EU.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1090930205571592192[/TWEET]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Heard Jeremy Hunt talking this morning about trade sanctions against Venezuela

Bit rich coming from a government proposing trade sanctions on ourselves in 57 days?

Can you apply trade sanctions on a country we aren't going to be trading with?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Bloody EU looking after it's members interests yet again. Makes you sick so it does.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
just because they say its based off BoE estimates, doesnt make it so. to qualify this, if we really had the originally projected growth, our economy would be growing faster than Germany - do you believe that?

It is based on a BoE estimate and yes I believe our original projected growth would have beaten faltering Germany's predicted 1% for 2019.

You should have more faith in our economy.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Seems like it's May's deal or *No deal* now.

Of course, with May's deal we still get *No deal* 18 months or so later, but at least we get those 18 extra months to enjoy life with our families. And 18 months to pray for a black swan game changer turning up.

Just hope that the MPs vote for May's deal in the end.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The UK looking after it's interests=there be dragons.

The EU looking after it's interests=totally sensible and quite quite wonderful.

I think from the last couple of years the idea the UK is looking after it's own interests is at best debatable.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here