Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
That will vary from country to country, and settled status in one country will not result in EU wide free movement for them.

I thought so (and presumably this is connected to the current withdrawal agreement and not no deal - where no-one knows what each country would agree to). I guess they might get a pre-settled status (like the UK is offering) until the reach the requirements for settled status after 2020 but in the event of no deal that would be up to each individual country as you say.

My guess is most of these people haven't registered for an NIE in Spain and would have trouble proving any residency to achieve such settled status.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just playing back the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning...

Andrea Leadsom says "all necessary legislation for Brexit will be passed by end of March"

I know all politicians lie from time to time, but in the Tories is now just an epidemic

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I own a property in Spain, uncertainty yes in regards of how it is going to work. What I do know is nobody is going to stop me going out for 2-3 weeks a year and I'm sure the Spanish authorities will sort something out for the longer stayers, non residents. Brits spend a hell of a lot of money in Spain.

As for the health care, well that's only an issue for those Brits who live there, on this one I'm sure Spanish government will do what we have done, and sort out settled status. If your a long stayer then your going to be taking out travel insurance anyway.

Must be great to own a property out there, and I'm sure you enjoy it and will continue to do so. :thumbsup:

I meant no offense in what I was saying, I just can't get my head around anyone who has invested in property and enjoys a lifestyle of ownership in the EU, would want to leave it. Property values are likely to slump because of it, as demand from Brits is sure to drop, the uncertainty described will simply be a pain in the arse for years to come, even if eventually its fine. Oh well, I'll put it on my list of reasons people voted leave that I don't understand. Where is it by the way if you don't mind me asking?

D

Deleted member 22389

I thought so (and presumably this is connected to the current withdrawal agreement and not no deal - where no-one knows what each country would agree to). I guess they might get a pre-settled status (like the UK is offering) until the reach the requirements for settled status after 2020 but in the event of no deal that would be up to each individual country as you say.

My guess is most of these people haven't registered for an NIE in Spain and would have trouble proving any residency to achieve such settled status.

When I purchased the property in Spain we all had to get NIE numbers. Sure at the time we needed the NIE to open our bank account.

D

Deleted member 22389

Must be great to own a property out there, and I'm sure you enjoy it and will continue to do so. :thumbsup:

I meant no offense in what I was saying, I just can't get my head around anyone who has invested in property and enjoys a lifestyle of ownership in the EU, would want to leave it. Property values are likely to slump because of it, as demand from Brits is sure to drop, the uncertainty described will simply be a pain in the arse for years to come, even if eventually its fine. Oh well, I'll put it on my list of reasons people voted leave that I don't understand. Where is it by the way if you don't mind me asking?

No offense taken. Property prices in Spain have seen a bit of an upturn, and last time I went the cranes have started to appear again. Nothing will be as bad as 2008 when prices crashed because of the financial crisis. I know one lady out there who paid 210,000 Euros for her 3 bed apart, that went down to 90,000 Euros. Personally not bothered about making money, it's a holiday home. Property is in La Manga.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Great news for these young people. I would suggest that this provides further proof that the elite are set up to benefit from brexit while the rest of us take a hit. People from the rest will celebrate this because that is what brexit has become.

seeing as it was the British elite who conquered the globe and set up the Empire , causing most of the planet to hate the British in the first place ,it seems only fitting that the Elite should once again profit from the misery of the villagers .......we'll be eating mud and daubing ourselves in cow dung before we know it......hup hup huzzah...!!

there was a programme about West African scammers on the box last night ........the interviewer asked one of the Ghanaian lads why they do it and he said quote " the white men took our ancestors away to be slaves , why is it not right for us to take money from stupid white people"

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think Brits will get 90 days like EU nationals do here. I should imagine they would have to apply for settled status to stay longer.

You currently are supposed to register if you wish to stay beyond 90 days in Spain anyway, likely a visa will be required for stays over 90 days, not sure about the pet passports, it would be a low priority in a No Deal, but probably would come back eventually, if we haven't all eaten each others pets by then due to the food shortages.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Hammond has been trying to pass off the release of funds for emergency measures back to normal budgetary spending, in the event we actually get a deal and avoid No Deal, as a Brexit Dividend!
This is not money we get to keep by not sending any to the EU, we will still be doing that for a while, it's money we get to spend more sensibly than on Ferry companies with no boats and traffic marshalls for stationary trucks.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47209369

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1091409385178439681[/TWEET]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A huge boost for those that like pickled herring or smoked mackerel
No good for me I'm afraid, I catch and smoke my own Herring and Mackerel.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
As it seems to be 'on trend' with the sneery types on here,thought it was time for a little retaliation.

real morons.png
moronz.png

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Just playing back the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning...

Andrea Leadsom says "all necessary legislation for Brexit will be passed by end of March"

I know all politicians lie from time to time, but in the Tories is now just an epidemic

Please show some respect: remember she's a mum. Indeed this is her USP - because it certainly isn't brainpower, integrity or depth of insight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here