Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The statement of course meant checks for tarriff purposes ( the cargo list will be provided ahead of the journey ). They're not going to scrap security controls are they !

You obviously have a different understanding of the term "wave through" to me. Either the goods are being stopped or they're not, and it seems the Government is proposing they are not. So we're back to how you check goods which aren't being stopped for checking?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you are collecting tariffs how can you not make checks, or have I missed something here? Are the WTO cool with this arrangement?
WTO rules dictate what the tariffs would be on the goods we export. Sure, they also dictate what the tariff should be on goods we import, but if we don't bother collecting them that's our problem - it's us that miss out.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I struggle to believe this bit - are you seriously telling me this is how tariffs work in this day and age ? So if I import a lorry load of goods from somewhere that's worth say £250k and the tariff is 10% then my lorry driver has got to be able to pay £25k at the EU border ?

There are systems in place to manage this process for traders from outside of the EU. Some of those traders will trade on WTO tariffs and quotas agreed with Britain and that will currently take place and will continue after March 29th.

However, for every trader who is in the EU, or from outside the EU and operates under WTO tariffs and schedules agreed by the EU, they either don't pay tariffs or their tariffs and quotas will all change. Now, as you can probably appreciate, that is a LOT of our trade and it will all change on March 29th.

We now have 52 days to set up the procedures, systems, IT infrastructure, staffing, training and any physical infrastructure required. (I'm sorry if I am repeating myself once or twice over the last 2.5 years).

This is why we are now discussing the latest panic measure.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You obviously have a different understanding of the term "wave through" to me. Either the goods are being stopped or they're not, and it seems the Government is proposing they are not. So we're back to how you check goods which aren't being stopped for checking?

Pssst...I don't think he has any understanding. Shhh.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Leave voters have directly caused thousands of jobs to be lost and many more losses to come. Leave voters don't care about this as they think it doesn't affect them. They are wrong about this.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Lorries etc are stopped now. They check for people and illegal goods such as arms. They don't bother dealing with tariff paperwork as there isn't any for goods coming from the EU. The idea that they will suddenly stop using things like their body heat seeking technology is ridiculous - they will carry on as now as to avoid the delays of having to check goods for tariff purposes. Next you'll be suggesting lorry drivers won't have to show their passports because they'll just "wave them through" :facepalm:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
WTO rules dictate what the tariffs would be on the goods we export. Sure, they also dictate what the tariff should be on goods we import, but if we don't bother collecting them that's our problem - it's us that miss out.

You are indeed correct, we could choose not to collect tariffs (as long as we do it for the whole of the WTO) but I think you'll find that the implications of not collecting tariffs is a little more than us just 'missing out'.

I understand that British Industry and Agriculture may have fairly strong views on this ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[tweet]1092739329351446528[/tweet]

Ps I hope Gwylan doesn't wince at the lack of knowledge of English Literature.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Anyone who can be duped into voting leave will fall for this bullshit. This government really is a despicable mob of “me first” *****.

Leave voters have destroyed Britain.

Leave voters have destroyed their own children’s future.

Leave voters have consigned British trade to the dustbin of history.

Leave voters have guaranteed a significant increase in immigrants entering the UK.

Leave voters have trashed decades of peace work in NI and reignited old animosity. People will die as a result.

Leave voters have directly caused thousands of jobs to be lost and many more losses to come. Leave voters don't care about this as they think it doesn't affect them. They are wrong about this.

Leave voters have cost the British taxpayer billions and continue to do so.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47124058

Now now TC, you're going to put yourself into a deep drepression at this rate. Time for a cup of tea, a choccie biscuit and a sit down to produce some calmness. Maybe you could think of how good your life will be post Brexit in another EU country as you promised to leave the UK if we left the EU ...... or was that Nibble .... I do get the two of you so confused.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Leave voters have cost some of the poorest areas of Britain millions in funding. A Tory government will never fill this financial hole.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You are indeed correct, we could choose not to collect tariffs (as long as we do it for the whole of the WTO) but I think you'll find that the implications of not collecting tariffs is a little more than us just 'missing out'.

I understand that British Industry and Agriculture may have fairly strong views on this ???
All we'd have to do is ask people to declare their imports online, and pay the tariff.

It would of course be a crap solution, but we wouldn't be breaking any rules. So yes is it would just be us missing out.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I read that post as not collecting tariffs at all and that has huge implications.

All we'd have to do is ask people to declare their imports online, and pay the tariff.

It would of course be a crap solution, but we wouldn't be breaking any rules. So yes is it would just be us missing out.

If you are saying that we simply delay collecting them until sometime after the point of entry, then yes I agree. (See, it does happen :))

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Now now TC, you're going to put yourself into a deep drepression at this rate. Time for a cup of tea, a choccie biscuit and a sit down to produce some calmness. Maybe you could think of how good your life will be post Brexit in another EU country as you promised to leave the UK if we left the EU ...... or was that Nibble .... I do get the two of you so confused.

2FE8436C-0633-4518-9FBC-171B72CACFEB.jpeg

Malted milk okay? Chocolate makes me cough.

I’m The Clamp. I used to post as Nibble. I now post as The Clamp. I was indeed going to move out of the U.K.
I was either going to the Republic or Ireland or Australia, where I have family. Unfortunately my Mother, My Father and my Brother died in quick succession. Mum and Dad died of cancer and my 39 year old Brother dropped dead of a heart attack leaving a wife and 6 year old son behind. When the vote took place about a year later I decided to stay in the UK to be near my remaining immediate family. I hope that has cleared up any confusion you are suffering from.

So no, it takes a little more than realism over Brexit to depress me, although I do find it all rather gloomy.

Malted milk? :)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Why can't people moan about the shitshow that is happening at the moment?

If we can't moan now when can we moan?

Would love to know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here